Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 902528 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4700 on: September 29, 2024, 02:26:40 PM »
Also sold as a Canon Dial 35 iirc.
Yep, it's the same thing but with American branding.
I must admit that to this day, I still consider it one of the most interesting and beautiful cameras ever made.
The industrial design aspect is just fascinating and the arrangement of the parts just good to the eye.
Who needs good ergonomics when it looks this good 😁
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4701 on: September 29, 2024, 04:35:10 PM »
That looks really cool!

Phil Snaps

« Reply #4702 on: October 03, 2024, 07:35:53 PM »
I picked up an Agfa Isolette II. I didn't know if it was in good condition, only that the shutter worked. I thought I could always use the shutter for one of my frankencamera projects. But it looks pretty good, door is smooth, the bellow has repairs, so I will shoot a test roll someday!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4703 on: October 03, 2024, 09:37:58 PM »
Don't you just hate it when you buy something for hacking and it turns out it's actually too good to do so?
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4704 on: October 04, 2024, 02:27:39 AM »
I picked up an Agfa Isolette II. I didn't know if it was in good condition, only that the shutter worked. I thought I could always use the shutter for one of my frankencamera projects. But it looks pretty good, door is smooth, the bellow has repairs, so I will shoot a test roll someday!
What, the grease isn’t solidified!  That’s a rare find. 

Phil Snaps

« Reply #4705 on: October 04, 2024, 09:02:15 AM »
Don't you just hate it when you buy something for hacking and it turns out it's actually too good to do so?
Well it was a good surprise, but I hate to dismantle a working camera so I'll have to find a shutter somewhere else  >:( ;)

What, the grease isn’t solidified!  That’s a rare find.
I has probably been CLA'ed at some point.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2024, 09:07:25 AM by Phil Snaps »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4706 on: Yesterday at 06:14:50 PM »
Yesterday I got my hands on a nice Canon EX.
I always wanted to get a camera that uses the FD mount and I thought I had found the holy grail... but there was something weird about it. I couldn't figure out how to remove the lens.
It turns out that this is not an FD mount camera! It's an EX mount camera... which makes this all even more puzzling.
The EX mount was a failed design by Canon that was produced for just one year. And lets just say that when they came out with this, they probably were hitting the sake pretty hard.
The camera has a fixed focusing mount with a fixed rear lens element. The lenses are just the front optics set on an m39 screw mount... but not Leica compatible.
It's got a movable prong that can lock on the focus in order to get automatic flash.
And the lens has no aperture setting! Instead, there is a dial around the rewind knob that moves a needle in the viewfinder to set the aperture (f/1.8 to f/16).
The camera is entirely mechanical (1/8 to 1/500).

Mine came with the 35mm, 50mm and 125mm lenses. They also made the 95mm which is missing.
Not too shabby for a whole 10$ at a charity shop.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4707 on: Yesterday at 06:33:19 PM »
That's crazy! So basically you're stuck with this exact kit, unless by some miracle another EX lens pops up somewhere 😁

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4708 on: Yesterday at 09:10:19 PM »
That's pretty much it.
At first I thought it came with a bunch of lens adapters. But it turns out it wasn't the case.
I'll definitely have to do a bit more research on this thing as it is really a fascinating piece of kit, albeit not a convenient one.

I did look at the models they made and it is essentially a Canon FP with a fixed lens... or at least it looks like that. It is the the successor to the Canon EX EE.

I wonder if there isn't a way I can use this to add some home-made lenses?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:15:10 PM by Francois »
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4709 on: Yesterday at 10:18:27 PM »
That’s similar to the way the lenses work on the Retina IIIc, but with a leaf shutter that makes sense to leave the rear element attached.  With a focal plane shutter it doesn’t make sense. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4710 on: Yesterday at 10:30:17 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, nothing on this thing makes sense.
Putting the aperture on the rewind button? That was definitely a new one for me!
Francois