Author Topic: Tell me about Kentmere.  (Read 381 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Tell me about Kentmere.
« on: April 18, 2024, 08:36:33 PM »
In my constant pursuit of films that will not break the bank, I've gone from Tri-X (used to be affordable a decade or more ago) to HP5 (used to be affordable even a few years ago) to bulk rolling HP5 (used to be affordable 2 years ago 😂) to finally noticing that bulk rolls of HP5 have gone up $40 since 2022. By contrast, a 100' roll of Kentmere costs about the same as HP5 did 2 years ago. Fomapan and Arista films are cheaper than Kentmere, but I've used those two brands and I HATE them 😂

My plan would be to push Kentmere 400 to 1600 and stand develop in HC110. Has anyone done anything similar and can share some stories/thoughts/examples with me? If not, then just your thoughts on Kentmere 400 vs HP5 vs Tri-X would be helpful 😊

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Tell me about Kentmere.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 11:07:58 PM »
I know Jason from Grainydays has asked the lab to push his rolls and he was really happy with the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-OzyvT7cd0

The Darkroom (where he gets his stuff processed) most probably didn't stand develop the stuff.

Just watch the video as he shows pretty much each picture he took on it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 02:59:22 PM »
GrainyDays Jason did some nice work pushing it in those derelict buildings. I'd like to see that place, mainly for that wallpaper in one of the rooms I saw.
Back to the film though....I've used Kentmere400 in my Holga with good results. I'm no help for your specific question of pushing, but it is a good price.

I stopped using Tri-x for the same reason and I love that film. It's sad...
B

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Need Me Some B/W Film
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 08:39:24 PM »
This may be a non-topic that I resolve on my own by just buying some film, but what the heck; some input from the group is always entertaining.

The situation is that as a result of my return to regular filmwasting in the last year or so, I have done a little bit of stock taking when it comes to my film stash. I've recently bought a couple of new 35mm format SLRs and my daughter has two decent point-and-shoots that she uses frequently. 35mm film is therefore the in-demand format at Wenn Mansions. I have well over 200 rolls of the stuff, so I thought I was sitting pretty and could burn through old stock without financial outlay, but the shocking revelation is that I have no b/w film at all  :o Right?! Who'd have thunk it?

My question is in two parts:
  • I used to like Tri-x and Efke 100 film. I'm partial to big grain. Is there any film in particular that I should have a go with? Should I just buy some Ilford? FYI, I'll be sending it off to a lab, rather than souping at home.
  • Is it worth me selling some of my stash? Has any particular 20 year old film become super hip these days? I have quite a stock of Fuji E6 film for instance.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 08:57:24 PM »
Oooh, I have just realised that I've sort of asked the same question on another thread. So I have just merged my thread with this one (see post above) to keep all the replies in one place.

Also, Satish...great minds etc.  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:59:43 PM by Ed Wenn »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Need Me Some B/W Film
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 10:27:00 PM »
This may be a non-topic that I resolve on my own by just buying some film, but what the heck; some input from the group is always entertaining.

When I first saw this I thought I'd typed it and forgotten that I'd done so 🤣 Because, clearly the best way to answer my own question is to buy a roll of Kentmere 400, expose it at 1600, and stand develop it 😂

But as Ed said, group input is always entertaining and useful, so carry on 😊

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 11:04:16 AM »
I have pushed Kentmere 400 to 800 with decent results.

Untitled by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Rain by Berang Berang, on Flickr

This is medium format, 645, developed in D76 1:1 dilution - but look at the grain! In 35mm I would probably use stock solution to keep the grain in check.

The only thing to not like about Kentmere is that it has a very weak (or non existant) anti-halation layer. If you have a strong backlight you will get veiling flare like this:
Untitled by Berang Berang, on Flickr

It's much less noticeable on medium format than it is on 35mm.
I really like Kentmere 100 as it give does a good job of recording detail in shade, it has basically a straight response curve with little toe and no shoulder, so it works well with the subjects I shoot.

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 12:42:48 PM »
The only thing to not like about Kentmere is that it has a very weak (or non existant) anti-halation layer. If you have a strong backlight you will get veiling flare like this
But then you don't need that expensive mist filter anymore ;D
I really like Tri-X but yeah, it is getting really expensive now. Curious to see if anyone found some alternative.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 03:50:32 PM »
I wonder if anyone has tried Orwo Wolfen 400 or Streetcandy ATM400 ?
I know the Streetcandy stuff is supposed to be quite crunchy as-is, so it's bound to be a bit too much when pushed.
But I don't know about the Orwo.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 11:59:25 AM »
I've tried ORWO UN54, 100ASA. It's a really neat film that has a look similar to the old Efke films. But two problems: it's very easily scratched (all three rolls I've shot suffered from scratches) and ORWO/filmotech packages it in these devastatingly awful non-standard plastic cassettes. These things are so frustrating to get open that anything ORWO is not up for consideration by me until they start packaging it in real metal cassettes.

I still need to try Rollei RPX400. There are a lot of claims that this is just rebranded Kentmere 400, yet there are enough differences (developing times are different, Kentmere recommends no pre-wash, Rollei recommends pre-wash, etc.) that I don't think they're identical films. RPX is coated by Harman so of course it will be similar to other Harman products, but honestly if RPX400 has an actual anti-halation layer the few pennies more it costs (over Kentmere) could be worth it.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 12:29:55 PM »
I use a lot of Rollei RPX400, I buy it in bulk. It has very fine grain, especially when processed in XTOL or Adox XT-3 as in the example below. This is definitively not Kentmere 400.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 02:11:08 PM »
ORWO/filmotech packages it in these devastatingly awful non-standard plastic cassettes.
They probably use the same cassettes as FlicFilm (the snap-together model that barely fits in the film compartment).
These are definitely not the nicest thing to use, but I guess that they're what we'll have from now on until the tin free steel shortage gets solved.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 04:25:22 PM »
I use a lot of Rollei RPX400, I buy it in bulk. It has very fine grain, especially when processed in XTOL or Adox XT-3 as in the example below. This is definitively not Kentmere 400.

I've never shot RPX400, but I've always loved the images I've seen. And I hear it pushes well, too. Unfortunately, it's basically the same price as HP5 so I never had motivation to switch 🤷🏽‍♂️

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 08:32:48 PM »
I thought RPX400 was actually HP5?
Edit: according to The Big Film Database it is Kentmere 400 https://industrieplus.net/dxdatabase/rechfilm.php?name=rpx400 but this information may be outdated.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:43:48 PM by Phil Snaps »

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2024, 09:22:39 PM »
Edit: according to The Big Film Database it is Kentmere 400 https://industrieplus.net/dxdatabase/rechfilm.php?name=rpx400 but this information may be outdated.

Woah, worlds colliding 😁 If that's true, then I WILL get to shoot "RPX400" after all, in the form of Kentmere 😂

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 09:28:24 PM »
I was about to suggest Holga mystery film...
Have you checked with the FPP? They have a ton of funky re-spooled stuff.

But when it comes to cheap stuff, Foma and Arista.EDU are pretty much the name of the game. What I find pretty weird with those is how sensitive they are to the developer used. It's a bit like a Jeckell and Hyde film. Give it the wrong potion and it turns on you. But treat it right and it's surprisingly good. Just don't expect the silver density you see in other films.

I really need to try it at 1600 or even 3200.
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 12:07:11 AM »
Well, if you figure out a cheap film/developer combo that gives you slightly-smaller-than-baseball-sized grain at 1600, please do let me know 😁

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 03:11:19 PM »
I sure will 😊
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2024, 08:05:31 PM »
Pushing film means loss of shadow detail, nothing you can do about that. If you want to avoid large grain you will probably need a fine grain developer. Adox XT-3 or XTOL works well with Fomapan 400 in my experience. Another fine grain developer is the Adox Atomal, which I haven't tested. I've also seen comments from people using T-Max developer with success, but I haven't seen any examples. Here's one who has attempted to push Fomapan 400 to 1600 ISO using HC-110:

https://alysvintagecameraalley.com/2021/03/08/pushing-fomapan-400-to-1600/
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2024, 04:09:59 AM »

You know, it's a little funny because there's a youtube video from a few years ago where somebody compared Kentmere 400, Agfa APX 400, and Rollei RPX 400, and concluded they were all the same film - except their own video showed that when all three were processed together in the same tank, for the same time and temp, that Rollei RPX produced different contrast from the other two. I really don't think K400 and RPX400 are the same. Agfa on the other hand, probably the same.

ORWO/filmotech packages it in these devastatingly awful non-standard plastic cassettes.
They probably use the same cassettes as FlicFilm (the snap-together model that barely fits in the film compartment).
These are definitely not the nicest thing to use, but I guess that they're what we'll have from now on until the tin free steel shortage gets solved.

Appear to be so. Two more thoughts: it's pretty absurd that a shortage of tin-free steel ever had any effect on film packaging given how little material is used by film companies, and two: plastic being plastic is another reason to avoid those terrible plastic cassettes. If I throw my old film canisters in the recycling, I know that the steel will be recycled, the plastic not so much.

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2024, 12:39:57 PM »
From a Youtube comment:
"I’ve talked to Rollei about that and they’ve told me that the RPX 100 and 400 are new emulsions based on the original Agfa Leverkusen APX formulas. Produced for them by Harman Technology. They’re actually the ones who bought the Agfa Leverkusen patterns when it went down. "

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2024, 03:43:06 PM »
I find it funny how so many film stocks now revolve around Harman in one way or another.
Francois