Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 841291 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4600 on: January 14, 2024, 05:30:32 PM »
I have to be careful these days as I already got a Zorki in January...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4601 on: January 25, 2024, 03:08:15 AM »
Nothing as Jazzy as some of the recent posts of acquisitions the rest of you have been posting...but I picked up a super cute
Sears M35 for ten dollars.
It's made by Ricoh and is auto focus, auto advance and with a half press on the shutter button to focus then re compose which I love!
AA batteries and I'm in business!

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4602 on: January 25, 2024, 12:20:20 PM »
Seeing that makes me think I should get my old Ricoh AF-2 out, stick 2 AA batteries and a film in it and give it a workout.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4603 on: January 25, 2024, 02:57:14 PM »
That's a nice find there Becky!
I find that some of those rebranded cameras are often quite surprising.
I'm personally kind of like the lenses sold under the Image brand. They are completely overlooked on the market but were made by big Japanese manufacturers.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4604 on: January 26, 2024, 04:39:29 PM »
I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive cameras like that.  I can take them snowboarding or when I travel without the worry of damaging or loosing it. 

Speaking of $10 finds, I picked this up yesterday at a thrift store for $10.  I intend to use it on my Bogen tripod for large format but the head that's on it now seems to be stuck on.  I need to work on getting it off without damaging stuff. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4605 on: January 26, 2024, 09:16:27 PM »
If Bogens are anything like Manfrottos, when you look under the center post, there are a set of setscrews that need to be loosened.
If they are attached the "old way", look through the column itself and you should see either a screw or a big nut there.
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4606 on: January 26, 2024, 10:55:44 PM »
If Bogens are anything like Manfrottos, when you look under the center post, there are a set of setscrews that need to be loosened.
If they are attached the "old way", look through the column itself and you should see either a screw or a big nut there.

As Francois notes: three set screws under the silver cap, standard slot screw type. That style of tripod head is my favorite due to its compact size. I only went to the more common knob type head in order to use a quick release plate with the medium format cameras.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4607 on: January 27, 2024, 12:39:56 AM »

As Francois notes: three set screws under the silver cap, standard slot screw type. That style of tripod head is my favorite due to its compact size. I only went to the more common knob type head in order to use a quick release plate with the medium format cameras.
I did remove the set screw, mine only has one, the other two must be missing.  I just squirted some penetrating oil on it, maybe that will loosen it up. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4608 on: January 27, 2024, 10:55:02 AM »
If Bogens are anything like Manfrottos,
I think Bogen and Manfrotto are one and the same. Maybe Bogen is the US name.
Speaking of $10 finds, I picked this up yesterday at a thrift store for $10.   
I have that head, bought it years ago. Always have to think twice about which lever to loosen off to move the camera in the way I want. These days I normally use a ball mount. Confuses my brain less.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4609 on: January 27, 2024, 03:18:50 PM »
If Bogens are anything like Manfrottos,
I think Bogen and Manfrotto are one and the same. Maybe Bogen is the US name.
Speaking of $10 finds, I picked this up yesterday at a thrift store for $10.   
I have that head, bought it years ago. Always have to think twice about which lever to loosen off to move the camera in the way I want. These days I normally use a ball mount. Confuses my brain less.

I think that’s why the previous owner painted white on the tip of one of the handles. 

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #4610 on: January 27, 2024, 04:20:42 PM »
I found these two cameras for a total of £25 in a vintage shop a week ago. The first is an Envoy Wide Angle, a souped-up box camera taking 6x9 images (actually closer to 6x8) on 120 or 620 film. The Taylor Taylor Hobson 64mm lens is fixed-focus and has an angle of view equivalent to 24mm in 35mm terms.

The second is a Kodak Duaflex II faux-TLR taking 620 film. It has an extremely bright viewfinder, and a mirror on the lid. I can't find any photographic reason for the mirror - must be just for checking your grooming!

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4611 on: January 27, 2024, 05:18:07 PM »
That Envoy wide angle is a very good find Kevin, on ebay those are offered from £300 and upwards!
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4612 on: January 27, 2024, 05:20:33 PM »
I found these two cameras for a total of £25 in a vintage shop a week ago. The first is an Envoy Wide Angle, a souped-up box camera taking 6x9 images (actually closer to 6x8) on 120 or 620 film. The Taylor Taylor Hobson 64mm lens is fixed-focus and has an angle of view equivalent to 24mm in 35mm terms.

The second is a Kodak Duaflex II faux-TLR taking 620 film. It has an extremely bright viewfinder, and a mirror on the lid. I can't find any photographic reason for the mirror - must be just for checking your grooming!
The Envoy Wide Angle looks interesting, looking forward to seeing some shots with it.  I have a Duaflex II and a Duaflex IV, none of them have mirrors on the lid.  All mine are U.S. models, that must be a "Made in England" thing.  I also have the first Duaflex model, a made in England version, but it doesn't have the lid like the later models. 

By the way, I got the head off my Bogen tripod and mounted the new head.  After letting it sit overnight with the penetrating oil it was still stuck on there.  One light tap with a mallet and a metal punch broke it free. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4613 on: January 27, 2024, 10:04:58 PM »
I just checked my Canadian Duaflex II and it doesn't have a mirror either.

BTW, that Graflex looks definitely at home on that tripod.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4614 on: February 04, 2024, 05:28:02 AM »
I finally found a 6x6 negative carrier for my Spiratone enlarger. But I had to buy a big chunk of the enlarger to get it. I have been looking for the 6x6 negative carrier for two years, and have never seen one until now. It doesn't help that I have no idea who actually built these enlargers for Spiratone (it looks a bit like Fujimoto ones, but the carrier is different).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4615 on: February 04, 2024, 02:09:31 PM »
The bell housing looks an awful lot like an old Picsur enlarger I have.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4616 on: February 06, 2024, 05:54:49 AM »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4617 on: February 06, 2024, 01:07:23 PM »
This is one of the smallest camera accessories I have ever purchased, but quite useful.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4618 on: February 06, 2024, 03:40:43 PM »
found this on the online auction site for 40 USD. Came with everything seen here, including the "holster" which fits the camera perfectly.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4619 on: February 07, 2024, 03:27:42 PM »
You're so gonna love this one!
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4620 on: February 07, 2024, 05:35:23 PM »
You're so gonna love this one!

Indeed I will, since it's a spare. I love this particular model and it's cheap and almost weather tolerant....
Now for some clear skies that don't have wads of snow falling out of it....

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4621 on: February 07, 2024, 09:24:46 PM »
Indeed I will, since it's a spare. I love this particular model and it's cheap and almost weather tolerant....
Now for some clear skies that don't have wads of snow falling out of it....
Well... falling snow on pinhole does look an awful lot like fog.

But yeah, the weather has just been awful this winter. Here, we have had less than 5 days of sunny skies since early November... Lets just say it's quite depressing. Lots of ice so going anywhere is a bit like asking for a broken leg. I've got a roll of Aerocolor in my Nikon and I can't seem to be able to find a place to finish it off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 11:20:24 PM by Francois »
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4622 on: February 10, 2024, 08:36:32 AM »
Decided to make a permanent spot for printing. Got a sturdy table that's just large enough to hold the enlarger and four 8x10 trays, and more than big enough for printing 5x7s. Not an actual darkroom but it's in the corner away from the window, unlike my drawing table which is where I've been setting up for printing up till now.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4623 on: February 11, 2024, 06:34:11 PM »
Picked up this nice Kodak Retina IIIc in it's original box at an estate sale yesterday.  The slow speeds are way off and the meter sticks but still responds to light. 

Retina IIIc (type 021 Ausf I) by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I also got some negatives, slides and 8mm movie film.  The negatives are interesting.  I'll post some in Found Film.

Edit: I fixed the slow speeds.  Not sure if I’m going to try to fix the meter, don’t really need it. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 01:19:47 AM by Bryan »

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4624 on: February 28, 2024, 03:17:16 PM »
That's quite the find Bryan, and anxious to see the found film shots...
I just bought a Chinon CS screw mount body on a whim...  No pix yet as it hasn't been shipped.
Now I need a good lens for it....suggestions?
I have a Helios 44M, and a Takumar 55mm f/1.8, so will probably start with those, but any other under the radar goodies I should consider???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 03:35:59 PM by astrobeck »

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4625 on: February 28, 2024, 05:42:20 PM »
That's quite the find Bryan, and anxious to see the found film shots...
I just bought a Chinon CS screw mount body on a whim...  No pix yet as it hasn't been shipped.
Now I need a good lens for it....suggestions?
I have a Helios 44M, and a Takumar 55mm f/1.8, so will probably start with those, but any other under the radar goodies I should consider???

When you say screw mount I assume you mean M42. Here's three lenses that should be possible to get at a reasonable price:

Pentacon 3.5/30
MIR-1B 2,8/37
Industar 61 L/Z 2,8/50

Not the fastest lenses out there, but decent optics.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4626 on: February 28, 2024, 08:09:58 PM »
I don't have much stuff in M42 mount. But I do have the mind-mindbogglingly good Takumar 35mm f/3.5.
I also have a Trimex Trimexar 100mm portrait lens which I need to try-out one day.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4627 on: February 28, 2024, 10:25:02 PM »
I have an Auto Tamron f/4.5 21mm that I got cheap a few years ago.  It's a fun lens.

Pentax Spotmatic SLR with an Auto Tamron f/4.5 21mm lens. by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4628 on: February 29, 2024, 10:01:56 PM »
thanks for the suggestions of lenses.
I've dug through my stash and found I have a cheapie Hanimex to use along with a much nicer Takumar that is in great shape and clean. I also have the Helios as mentioned earlier, so i think I'm all set for now.
Once I get the camera I'll use it for a weekend thread soon....

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4629 on: March 02, 2024, 07:02:45 PM »
Here's the Chinon Beast!
Lordy, it's a tank.
it mostly works, slow speeds are a bit S--L--O--W.
Mainly the half and quarter second shutter speeds just sit and think about finishing their job...kind of like city workers staring into a hole...
I digress.
I like it.
The lens was an impulse buy for five bucks, and had a GAF lens cap on it with Formula 5 MC written on the edge, so will give it a spin later today in the yard.
Everything else appears to work, but until film goes through it, it's just guess work.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 07:12:24 PM by astrobeck »

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4630 on: March 02, 2024, 11:15:08 PM »
That looks almost identical to my Chinon SLR.

Chinon SLR by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4631 on: March 04, 2024, 04:08:11 AM »
wow! that's almost identical.

Mine's still loaded and ready to go. It was so windy it was miserable outside this weekend, so no test shots yet....soon I hope.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4632 on: March 04, 2024, 02:44:55 PM »
That is an uncanny resemblance.
I bet they both share a lot of the same internal parts too.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4633 on: March 04, 2024, 04:11:25 PM »
Functionally they look identical, maybe it was just a branding thing.  One thing that could be different is what you see in the viewfinder.  Mine is just a simple match needle.  I can't imagine a lot of thought went into the model name "SLR". 

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4634 on: March 04, 2024, 05:49:58 PM »
Match needle is all this one has as well.
Maybe we should compare weights of the bodies...
Mine's 774 grams

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4635 on: March 04, 2024, 11:33:15 PM »
I can't imagine a lot of thought went into the model name "SLR".
I can just imagine the boardroom theater when it came to naming this thing 🤣
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4636 on: March 05, 2024, 01:53:34 AM »
Match needle is all this one has as well.
Maybe we should compare weights of the bodies...
Mine's 774 grams
That's odd, mine is 748 grams.  No lens or battery, just the metal rings for a strap. 

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4637 on: March 05, 2024, 03:18:49 PM »
oops! Mine still had a roll of film in it.
754 grams empty and no battery, does have simple split rings for strap.

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4638 on: March 17, 2024, 07:58:40 PM »
I was given a disposable Konica Mini. Brand new! (expired 04/1994)
I wouldn't use it as is, but I wanted to save the roll for a proper camera. Before I opened it I noticed the camera was very thin: 2,5cm (approx. 1 inch) which is the thickness of a 135 cartridge. No way they could fit one there! And indeed they used a smaller cartridge for the 24 exposures. Look at that cute little thing!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4639 on: March 17, 2024, 08:30:39 PM »
I think I have one of those in my empty cassette collection...
When I first saw this, I had one of those WTF moments... And then I realized that my astigmatism hadn't gotten worse in the last few seconds 😁 That was reassuring...
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4640 on: April 02, 2024, 08:07:21 PM »
Last week I was looking for a cyanotype kit. So, I went to FlicFilm and in their distributors page discovered a camera store in Alberta that also happened to be liquidating a bunch of stuff at break-neck prices. So, I sorta splurged...
They had a bunch of zooms and teleconverters they were trying go get off their inventory. All third party brands like Vivitar and house brands like Image. Since they had some Nikon and Minolta mount stuff, I got some focal lengths I don't have.

Now, how much would you pay for a minty Vivitar 28-105 in Minolta MD mount? Would you pay 40$... 30$... 20$... nope. They were selling them for a whopping 5$ a piece. So I kitted-out my Minoltas and got two Nikon lenses too.

Here's the box minus the bubble wrap (they did a really good job wrapping it all).

In the end, there is one lens that will need to be re-greased and another one which is stiff when cold (no stupid jokes please). So I will have to perform a few repairs. But at that price, I just couldn't let the deal pass me by!
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4641 on: April 15, 2024, 03:24:39 AM »
Found this Weston Model 853 at an estate sale this weekend for $2.50.  I noticed that it responded to light, that's why I got it, but I didn't hold out much hope for it to be accurate.  When I got it home I compared it to my light meter app on my phone, it's almost spot on!  Pretty good for a meter made in 1954.  It's a very simple direct read meter.  You can directly reed the aperture at 1/30 and 1/50 for film up to ASA 125.  You use the table on the front to convert to 1/10, 1/25, 1/100 and 1/200 shutter speeds.  There's a cover that partially covers the sensor on the back depending on the film speed.  I have a few other very old Weston meters that are still accurate, they were very well made. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:44:39 PM by Bryan »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4642 on: April 15, 2024, 03:00:39 PM »
They did make things well in those days.
And they can all be hand calibrated if need be.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4643 on: April 19, 2024, 08:55:26 PM »
I have failed to add a single post to this venerable thread. Over 800K views and counting. Bonkers. I have bought some stuff recently so will rustle up some pictures and contribute finally  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4644 on: April 19, 2024, 09:37:35 PM »
You really need to. Lets face it, this thread is one of the best examples of photographers doing some late night shopping. ;D
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4645 on: April 24, 2024, 02:03:46 PM »
I just unpacked a Kaleinar 2.8/100mm lens in M42 mount. It's the most compact 100mm I've seen, smaller than my Nikkor 2.5/105 AI-S and 100g lighter. It's said to be very sharp and it has a classic bokeh, not bubbly or swirly or whatever. It was also made with Nikon F mount, but it's not a copy. And I got it for half the price of the cheapest one on evilbay.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4646 on: April 24, 2024, 03:44:35 PM »
And I got it for half the price of the cheapest one on evilbay.
Half price is always a good price in my book 😁
Francois

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4647 on: April 24, 2024, 10:18:54 PM »
I just unpacked a Kaleinar 2.8/100mm lens in M42 mount. It's the most compact 100mm I've seen, smaller than my Nikkor 2.5/105 AI-S and 100g lighter. It's said to be very sharp and it has a classic bokeh, not bubbly or swirly or whatever. It was also made with Nikon F mount, but it's not a copy. And I got it for half the price of the cheapest one on evilbay.

That's a great find. Re size and weight, I'm curious how it compares to the Pentax SMC-M 100/2.8 (62.5 diameter x 55.7 length x 225g) and Olympus OM Zuiko 100/2.8 (60 diameter x 50 length x 230g)?

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4648 on: April 24, 2024, 10:22:07 PM »
just picked up two flat pack pinhole cameras from Ethan at Cameradactyl.com https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0PlJ0PzbY to assemble for pinhole day.
Not sure I will get both of them done in time for Sunday....
I already had the 90mm one, and the other two in the bags are 45mm.
I like the wide out your ears view of pinhole.
I've had the assembled one shown since the pandemic. It's very sturdy and works well.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 10:24:04 PM by astrobeck »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4649 on: April 24, 2024, 10:49:30 PM »
I must admit that Ethan does design good stuff.
Francois