Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 893035 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #4650 on: May 24, 2024, 02:40:44 PM »
I know quite a few people who are into decluttering these days, and one of them was throwing out some 35mm equipment but didn't attach a name to them. So I asked about the lenses and he sent me these.
42mm thread mount, 135mm, 35mm, a 2x teleconverter and a selenium light meter, all with the "Prinz" name which was a brand used by Dixons back in the day (which suggests the camera may have been a rebadged Zenit E and I definitely don't need one of them).
As you can see in the second image, the lenses aren't auto, they have kind of a preselector mechanism. Set the top ring to the aperture you want, set the front ring to the aperture you want, turn the inner ring anti-clockwise to open up the diaphgram, then turn it clockwise to stop down to the preset aperture. I have never heard of that before!
Have a couple of cameras with 42mm thread, but very few lenses, so I shall give these a try some time soon!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4651 on: May 24, 2024, 03:32:16 PM »
Lucky!
Prinz was also sold in the US. They were somewhat big back in the early 70's, but it doesn't look like it was the same brand.
Here's a list of the UK rebranded models http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Dixons#Distributed_Cameras
And here's the comparison on the US models http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Amcam
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 03:43:13 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4652 on: May 24, 2024, 05:32:09 PM »
I just unpacked a Kaleinar 2.8/100mm lens in M42 mount. It's the most compact 100mm I've seen, smaller than my Nikkor 2.5/105 AI-S and 100g lighter. It's said to be very sharp and it has a classic bokeh, not bubbly or swirly or whatever. It was also made with Nikon F mount, but it's not a copy. And I got it for half the price of the cheapest one on evilbay.

That's a great find. Re size and weight, I'm curious how it compares to the Pentax SMC-M 100/2.8 (62.5 diameter x 55.7 length x 225g) and Olympus OM Zuiko 100/2.8 (60 diameter x 50 length x 230g)?

My Kaleinar 5N has a diameter of 62.5mm, length 55.5mm and weighs 277g. The data you find online is a bit strange, everywhere it gives you a weight of 380g. I've checked my digital scales against a known weight, and it's correct. This lens could also be purchased with a Nikon F mount, maybe that's the explanation. The auto diaphragm lever on this one is like Nikon's, it's not a pin. I've never seen an M42 camera that has this option.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4653 on: May 24, 2024, 10:11:56 PM »
M42 always needed the pin for auto aperture. The reason it got replaced is that not all manufacturers had the same specs and the aperture sometimes wasn't reliable. Also, there needed to be a way to index the f/stops for the meter but it wasn't always possible with the lens design.

It's a bit sad as some of them were absolute marvels of engineering.
Francois

Phil Snaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4654 on: June 08, 2024, 08:07:53 PM »
I picked up a Pentax MZ-5n, because it was cheap and the seller said it was functional. Alas, it was dead on arrival. Looks like the classic broken mirror motor gear that is super hard to repair. There is a tutorial on iFixit, but it is ranked "difficult". You have to buy a new gear, completely disassemble the camera, and in the process desolder/resolder about twenty wires… I don't have the tools nor the knowledge.
I wanted to return it, but when I explained that to the seller he gave my money back and told me to keep the camera. I'm now the owner of a broken camera than is not worth repairing by a professional. Not sure what to do with it.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4655 on: June 08, 2024, 09:14:06 PM »
I picked up a Pentax MZ-5n, because it was cheap and the seller said it was functional. Alas, it was dead on arrival. Looks like the classic broken mirror motor gear that is super hard to repair. There is a tutorial on iFixit, but it is ranked "difficult". You have to buy a new gear, completely disassemble the camera, and in the process desolder/resolder about twenty wires… I don't have the tools nor the knowledge.
I wanted to return it, but when I explained that to the seller he gave my money back and told me to keep the camera. I'm now the owner of a broken camera than is not worth repairing by a professional. Not sure what to do with it.

When I have a camera that is unrepairable or not worth repairing I put it up for sale on an online market as parts or repair object for a symbolic price. I've managed to get rid of several cameras in that way. Or I put it up as a giveaway provided that the taker pays for shipping. I hate throwing cameras in the bin, especially as we know that some camera parts are becoming scarce.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4656 on: June 08, 2024, 10:33:49 PM »
Today was Garage Sale day in a neighboring city.
Just added a Nikon E 75-150mm zoom (which I got for 8$) to my kit. I also got a disposable camera Fuji Quicksnap branded "Crest Whitestrips Trial Size".
It's loaded with 800 speed film from 2005, so I hope the "whitestrips" are not referring to the piece of celluloid that's inside of it 😁
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4657 on: June 16, 2024, 06:51:23 PM »
I did a little shopping this weekend.  This first find is a 9X12 Voigtländer Avus with a Skopar lens and a coupled rangefinder.  Unfortunately the lens has a little haze but it still may work ok.  The coupled rangefinder needs a little work.  I think the linkage is missing a spring to hold the back section.  It's too loose to work right now.  Once I figure that out it will be a matter of calibrating it.  I got this at a thrift store for $20.

Voigtländer Avus by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

At the same store I got a Gossen Pilot II light meter for $4.  It seems to be accurate.  These are nice little light meters that easily fit in your pocket.  I also got another Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash with a flash attachment for $9.  This one may get a paint job like many of my other ones.

I got this interesting closeup attachment at an estate sale.  It's a Proximeter I made by Herman Schneider & Co. It uses the outer glass ring to correct the rangefinder focus.  It has a nice leather case to protect it but I'm afraid I may find a way to break it.  It only threads onto my Summitar lens, I think it needs a collar to fit onto other lenses.  I have Leitz NOOKY and NOOKYHESUM attachments attachments that do the same thing except they are an extension tube with the rangefinder correction device attached instead of a lens. 

Leica IIIf with Proximeter I by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4658 on: June 16, 2024, 09:12:42 PM »
That's gotta be one of the weirdest adapters I've seen so far.
And I bet it just won't fit in your back pocket 😁

So far, around here, the old photography stuff is getting really scarce. Which is quite a shame as I always really enjoy fiddling with new toys.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 09:14:19 PM by Francois »
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4659 on: June 19, 2024, 12:32:07 PM »
I just picked up the cheapest looking Minox 35 copy I've seen so far, the Miranda Micro 35EF. It was sold under different names but made by Chinon. Has a 38mm/3.8 lens, fixed shutter speed and two aperture settings linked to the ISO setting. The lens does not pop out when you open the flap, it has to be pulled out manually. The battery poles were corroded, cleaned them out with undiluted vinegar. But part of the metal connector under the battery lid had been eaten by corrosion so I put in a bit of alu foil as a preliminary measure. Will solder it when I get home. Everything works so I'm ready to go shooting. Saw some pictures online shot with this camera, looks like a decent lens.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4660 on: June 19, 2024, 03:40:33 PM »
I must admit that it's probably the weirdest looking knockoff of the minox. But on the up side they did manage to cram a flash in the small package...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4661 on: July 22, 2024, 06:21:55 PM »
A few estate sale finds this weekend.  Kodak Baby Brownie Special $3.  It was quite dirty and the lens was flopping around loose.  That made it easy to remove the lens to clean it, it needed it front and back.  It would have been difficult to remove it to clean the back if it wasn't loose.  It's just pressed into the plastic body.  When I tried to put it back in it was still loose.  Rather than gluing it in I flipped it and it seemed to hold better.  Hopefully I get similar results as the flipped lens in the Kodak Hawkeye, they're both simple meniscus lenses. 

Baby Brownie Special by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kodak Hula Show record $2.  This free show was set up to provide tourists with a colorful Hawaiian experience to shoot Kodachrome film.  It ran from 1937 to 2002, 65 years!  Released in 1964, the LP is all Hawaiian music that was featured at the show.  My wife and I listened to it last night while we had Mahi-mahi for dinner.  If you Google images of "Kodak Hula Show" you will see a lot of vintage photos that people shot at the show. 

I just found out that the show just re-started this year under the name Kilohana Hula Show.  They use many of the same performers from the original show.  I wish I knew that since I was just there a few months ago. 
https://www.khon2.com/news/kilohana-hula-show-debuts-at-waikiki-shell/

Kodak Hula Show by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4662 on: July 22, 2024, 09:46:01 PM »
Too bad that brownie uses 127 film.
For me this has to be one of the saddest formats. It's hard to find (I have one or two rolls in the freezer), expensive, has a limited stock offer. Pair this with cameras that are just oh-so lovely and cute...

I've always been a big fan of tiki kitch. Taschen has a very in dept book of the genre. In Montreal, we had the Kon-Tiki, the very first tiki bar in north-America!
It was built in the Mount-Royal Sheraton as an experiment to see if it would catch on. It it would have been a failure, they could have pulled-it without too many people noticing; but it turned out to be a success. When it closed, all the decoration was bought by a guy who worked there who then opened his own restaurant with the stuff (Le Jardin Tiki).
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4663 on: July 22, 2024, 10:42:58 PM »
Too bad that brownie uses 127 film.
For me this has to be one of the saddest formats. It's hard to find (I have one or two rolls in the freezer), expensive, has a limited stock offer. Pair this with cameras that are just oh-so lovely and cute...

I've always been a big fan of tiki kitch. Taschen has a very in dept book of the genre. In Montreal, we had the Kon-Tiki, the very first tiki bar in north-America!
It was built in the Mount-Royal Sheraton as an experiment to see if it would catch on. It it would have been a failure, they could have pulled-it without too many people noticing; but it turned out to be a success. When it closed, all the decoration was bought by a guy who worked there who then opened his own restaurant with the stuff (Le Jardin Tiki).
I bulk roll my own 127 film, I have plenty of 4cm Ilford HP5+ that I got from the ULF sale.  I also have a bulk roll of 4 cm Konica 160 color film. 

My wife and I like the Tiki stuff, she's been collecting Hawaiian records lately so she approved of the Kodak Hula Show.  We used to have a Trader Vic's bar nearby but they closed.   I understand they are starting to open more bars again.  We have a few Bar Glasses from Trader Vic's including a Scorpion Bowl with the volcano in the middle.  You put the scorpion drink in the bowl and some 151 rum in the volcano, then you light the volcano while you enjoy the drink.   We also have the Trader Vic's Skull mug and a few other bar glasses. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4664 on: July 23, 2024, 03:45:27 PM »
I've got a few of the ceramic mugs. Including a cup in ugly avocado green 😁
But most of them are just run of the mill light brown.

But if you want a super interesting read, I can't recommend enough Tiki Pop by Taschen. It's a pretty thick and very well researched book that is full of super cool illustrations.

I should find a way to make a photo of my tiki stuff...

[EDIT]
This is how dedicated I am to anything I do 🤣
Complete with Hawaiian shirt 🙂
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 04:18:08 PM by Francois »
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4665 on: July 24, 2024, 12:56:32 AM »
I bow to your dedication 🙇🏾‍♂️

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4666 on: July 24, 2024, 05:00:06 AM »
I have a tiki mask like that, plus two smaller ones.  We put them up in the back yard during the summer.  You can get them at gift shops in Waikiki. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4667 on: July 24, 2024, 04:11:06 PM »
I bow to your dedication 🙇🏾‍♂️
Always all the way 😁
Like I always say: good Kitch makes people smile 🙂

I have a tiki mask like that, plus two smaller ones.  We put them up in the back yard during the summer.  You can get them at gift shops in Waikiki. 

I got this a few summers ago at a local garage sale for a whopping 2$
The people wanted 10$ but when I told them I was planning on using it to play a prank on my neighbor by slightly hiding it in the hedge on his side, they started laughing and accepted the offer... And yes, I did get the planned reaction 🤣
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4668 on: July 24, 2024, 04:23:27 PM »

I got this a few summers ago at a local garage sale for a whopping 2$
The people wanted 10$ but when I told them I was planning on using it to play a prank on my neighbor by slightly hiding it in the hedge on his side, they started laughing and accepted the offer... And yes, I did get the planned reaction 🤣

Be careful, you don't want to get the Bobby Brady Curse. 

They actually still sell that Tiki Idol from the Brady Bunch episode.  https://www.dimensionaldesigns.com/bobrcutine.html

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4669 on: July 24, 2024, 04:34:08 PM »
I find it funny because the Tiki gods are said to be pranksters and don't have bad intents.
The sculptures are thought to be vessels for the gods to enter the physical realms and manifest themselves... or at least that's what I read.

So, cursed Tiki necklace... quite improbable.
Having weird stuff happen to you from having one; vaguely possible... though it's more likely it's going to be from people finding that you have strange tastes.

As for The Brady Bunch, I never watched it as it wasn't really broadcast in Canada when I was young... though for some odd reason I know a bit of the theme song... don't ask me how. It must have been good as most of the 60's sitcoms were quite zany and weird (I did see all the episodes of The Monkees and the original Batman)
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4670 on: August 04, 2024, 02:42:15 PM »
With FP-100C fading in the tail lights, people are slowly starting to understand that the Polaroid 180 is not made of unobtainium. This one came up on the German classifieds, and I made a cheeky offer and got it it for €120.

It has a bit of fungus, and is not in collectors condition.

If I was only buying this to shoot that one last box of FP-3000B I have been hoarding, it would be a bit excessive, but Jim (Hackaninstax on YT and Instagram), designed a simple to print film holder for the land cameras. I have made three of them so far, and will get bonus points from my wife when I finally defrost the mid 1990's expired APX 25 4x5 film, cut it to size and use it :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 09:29:32 AM by rotarysmp »
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4671 on: August 04, 2024, 03:23:38 PM »
With FP-100C fading in the tail lights, people are slowly starting to understand that the Polaroid 180 is not made of unobtainium. This one came up on the German classifieds, and I made a cheeky offer and got it it for €120.

If I was only buying this to shoot that one last box of FP-3000B I have been hoarding, it would be a bit excessive, but Jim (Hackinstax on YT and Instagram), designed a simple to print film holder for the land cameras. I have made three of them so far, and will get bonus points from my wife when I finally defrost the mid 1990's expired APX 25 4x5 film, cut it to size and use it :)
What size do you need to cut the film to?  I still have some pack film cameras but can’t give that stuff away now.  I would like to have a way to use them again. 

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4672 on: August 04, 2024, 05:12:06 PM »

If I was only buying this to shoot that one last box of FP-3000B I have been hoarding, it would be a bit excessive, but Jim (Hackinstax on YT and Instagram), designed a simple to print film holder for the land cameras. I have made three of them so far, and will get bonus points from my wife when I finally defrost the mid 1990's expired APX 25 4x5 film, cut it to size and use it :)

What size do you need to cut the film to?  I still have some pack film cameras but can’t give that stuff away now.  I would like to have a way to use them again.

Do these holders have a darkslide? If you need a darkroom to change film, then I do not see the point of these holders.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4673 on: August 04, 2024, 08:54:46 PM »
I know that they can be converted to take 4x5 in various ways, but you don't get the full 4x5 coverage. But that's not a problem if you plan on using them with the LomoGrafloc back. There might be a bit of focus adjustment to do but it should work.
Francois

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #4674 on: August 05, 2024, 06:11:07 AM »
http://polaroids.theskeltons.org/filmholder.htm
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6438245
https://www.instagram.com/p/C9afzIpSQX2/

You need to cut film to the same dimensions as pack film was. 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" (83x108mm)
Yes you need to load the holders in a darkroom or changing bag.
Yes they have a darkslide, so you can then use them in normal light.
There is an offset in the film plane of nearly1/8" (I measured 3.15mm). I am hoping that is within the range of adjustment of the rangefinder.

By the way, Jim also designed and shared a really nice 6x9 back for pack film cameras.
http://polaroids.theskeltons.org/6x9.htm
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4675 on: August 16, 2024, 05:32:42 PM »
I've been a good boy and have spent very little on camera gear this year, just a few cheap oddballs in the $10 to $50 range. At the same time I have sold almost 20 cameras from my collection. So now I figured it was time to do some serious investment on the M42 front. Most of what I had in M42 had dark viewfinders and none had TTL metering. No more of that! Today I received this beauty, a Voigtländer Bessaflex TM. These were made by Cosina between 2003 and 2006. It's got a large, very bright viewfinder and stop-down metering. And it's compact and light, smaller than a Contax Aria!
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4676 on: August 17, 2024, 03:52:26 PM »
I didn't know they made M42 mount cameras so late in the game?
I thought the system had gone extinct by the early 80's...
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4677 on: August 17, 2024, 05:16:46 PM »
Cosina had planned a family of cameras with different mounts based on the same camera body. The plans included mounts like Olympus OM, Nikon F, Pentax PK, Canon FD, Minolta MD and M42. The M42 was issued first, but the sales were so dismal that the project was cancelled. They were basically 15 to 20 years too early, had they been issued now I think many would have jumped at the chance of getting a new camera for their old lenses. They were not expensive at the time, but since so few were made, the prices today are what they are. Cosina had more success with the rangefinder series with different mounts that they issued in the late '90s.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4678 on: August 17, 2024, 05:20:18 PM »
I could be (likely am) wrong, but I believe the Bessaflex TM is also the only M42 body with a vertical shutter, 125th X sync, and 1/2000 min shutter. If I had been paying attention 15 years ago, when I had a new-in-box Flektagon 35/2.8, I might have kept the lens and bought a TM for it.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4679 on: August 17, 2024, 06:54:48 PM »
I could be (likely am) wrong, but I believe the Bessaflex TM is also the only M42 body with a vertical shutter, 125th X sync, and 1/2000 min shutter. If I had been paying attention 15 years ago, when I had a new-in-box Flektagon 35/2.8, I might have kept the lens and bought a TM for it.

You're quite right about the shutter, and it's mechanical so the batteries are only for the light meter. I've got the Flektogon 35, but in Exakta mount. Mine is a macro lens, did they make those in M42 as well?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

EarlJam

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4680 on: August 17, 2024, 07:55:53 PM »

You're quite right about the shutter, and it's mechanical so the batteries are only for the light meter. I've got the Flektogon 35, but in Exakta mount. Mine is a macro lens, did they make those in M42 as well?

The lens was part of my dad's 70-ish year accumulation of cameras, of which there was so much that I had to be fairly brutal in deciding what to keep and what went. I never used the Flektagon but from the reviews online, the M42 appears identical in function to yours, with 18 cm (7") minimum focus. I don't shoot much macro these days, but there are times when a close-focus wide would have been very useful.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 08:00:32 PM by EarlJam »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4681 on: August 17, 2024, 09:00:05 PM »
I've got only one lens in M42 mount that is noteworthy: 35mm Takumar.
I used it with a reversing ring on my Nikon for macro shots. I even made a custom rear/front lens protector with filter mount for it.
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4682 on: August 17, 2024, 09:30:44 PM »
The Flektogon 35 is very good and I like having the possibility of shooting macro without changing the lens. Macro lenses are usually very sharp as well.
Now I just dicovered that there are two other M42 cameras with a vertical shutter; the Chinon CEII Memotron and the CE-3 Memotron.  The CEII even has a top speed of 1/2000s. I was also considering the Cosina CSR that can switch between average and spot metering, but they are hard to find in good condition.
I also hear good things about the Takumars, but I cannot find any answer to the most important question; do they have character?
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4683 on: August 17, 2024, 11:44:52 PM »
The Flektogon 35 is very good and I like having the possibility of shooting macro without changing the lens. Macro lenses are usually very sharp as well.
Now I just dicovered that there are two other M42 cameras with a vertical shutter; the Chinon CEII Memotron and the CE-3 Memotron.  The CEII even has a top speed of 1/2000s. I was also considering the Cosina CSR that can switch between average and spot metering, but they are hard to find in good condition.
I also hear good things about the Takumars, but I cannot find any answer to the most important question; do they have character?
My Chinon SLR has a vertical metal shutter.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4684 on: August 18, 2024, 12:16:11 PM »
My Chinon SLR has a vertical metal shutter.

That sounds correct when you look at the timeline; CE II issued in 1976, CE-3 in 1978 and the SLR in 1979. Funny name, it can lead to some misunderstandings. But Cosina was first out in 1971 with their Cosina SLR.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4685 on: August 18, 2024, 04:08:15 PM »
Some of them do. The 35mm is probably the sharpest most contrasty lens I've seen in a long time.
Just to give an idea about how sharp it is, I put it on a Nikon DSLR with a cheap Chinese lensed adapter (otherwise it won't reach infinity) and it still was sharper than the kit lens that came with the camera despite it being younger by a good 30 year, having a modern optical formula, modern coatings and everything that this implies.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4686 on: August 19, 2024, 09:12:46 AM »
But Cosina was first out in 1971 with their Cosina SLR.

Not sure I've got this straight but are you saying the CSR has a vertical running shutter? Because it has a horizontal cloth one. I know, I used to have one when they were new. Not very reliable. Shutter started bouncing on it as I recall.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4687 on: August 19, 2024, 11:00:42 AM »
But Cosina was first out in 1971 with their Cosina SLR.

Not sure I've got this straight but are you saying the CSR has a vertical running shutter? Because it has a horizontal cloth one. I know, I used to have one when they were new. Not very reliable. Shutter started bouncing on it as I recall.

Sorry if that was confusing, but I did not intend to say that the CSR had a vertical shutter. I said I was looking for one, but if they are unreliable that explains why there are so few about. I think maybe the Chinon CE-3 is a better choice of the late '70s M42 cameras.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4688 on: September 10, 2024, 04:07:12 AM »
My GAS got the better of me this weekend  Picked up both of these at an estate sale.  The Nikon N80 came with the 28-80mm kit lens.  The rubber coating on the camera was gooey but I think I got it all cleaned up.  I put batteries in it and everything seems to function properly.  There was a roll of Arista EDU Ultra 200 in it with 6 pictures already shot.  I'm shooting off the rest of it to test it so we'll see what happens.  It only cost $15 so I figured it was worth a shot.

I already had the Kodak Brownie Target Six-20 but when I saw  its big brother, the Six-16 in excellent condition I had to get it.  Only $9 but the shutter will need a little work. 

Nikon N80 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Kodak Brownie Target Six-16 and Six-20 by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4689 on: September 10, 2024, 04:05:04 PM »
The rubber coating on the camera was gooey but I think I got it all cleaned up.
I just hate this rubber paint.
I had to scrape the back of my F90x as it make me feel like Griswold in that famous holiday movie.

But I recently saw a trick on Youtube that is supposed to make removing this crap super easy.
The guy claims that using a rag dampened with gas (the type you put in your car) will make removing the coating a breeze.
I'll have to put on some nitrile gloves and try it on a sticky tripod I have. I just hope it won't melt the plastic or leave that horrible smell behind.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4690 on: September 10, 2024, 04:28:24 PM »
The rubber coating on the camera was gooey but I think I got it all cleaned up.
I just hate this rubber paint.
I had to scrape the back of my F90x as it make me feel like Griswold in that famous holiday movie.

But I recently saw a trick on Youtube that is supposed to make removing this crap super easy.
The guy claims that using a rag dampened with gas (the type you put in your car) will make removing the coating a breeze.
I'll have to put on some nitrile gloves and try it on a sticky tripod I have. I just hope it won't melt the plastic or leave that horrible smell behind.

I used a rag with isopropyl and it seems to have worked.  Just takes a little elbow grease.  It comes off like a skin of rubber cement.  There are still a few sticky spots I need to work on.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4691 on: September 10, 2024, 04:54:43 PM »
I've used isopropyl as well, works quite well. In stead of using gasoline you should use lighter fluid, it's the same stuff. I use it for removing old grease from lens helicoids, very effective. For the sticky stuff I would use isopropyl, doesn't leave any nasty smell behind.
Kai

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4692 on: September 10, 2024, 05:41:31 PM »
+1 for IPA. Just make sure it's the 99.9% stuff and not diluted. I did a Contax Aria which are known for sticky backs. Also a Voigtlander rangefinder (can't remember which) which also suffers the same problem.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4693 on: September 10, 2024, 06:29:50 PM »
I've done it with IPA too, but this solution claims it doesn't require elbow grease... that's why I'm interested in testing it out.
I'm thinking it's probably one of the cleaning additives that does the job and not the gas itself.
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4694 on: September 11, 2024, 02:10:35 AM »
I've done it with IPA too, but this solution claims it doesn't require elbow grease... that's why I'm interested in testing it out.
I'm thinking it's probably one of the cleaning additives that does the job and not the gas itself.
It’s probably the solvents in the gasoline, Xylene, Toluene, Benzene…

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4695 on: September 11, 2024, 02:30:07 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.
I tried with lighter fluid before and the results were just so-so. I had better results with 90% IPA.
Francois

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4696 on: September 16, 2024, 12:31:38 PM »
I know full well in this context IPA refers to IsoPropyl Alcohol, but I still can't stop myself thinking of a completely different type of alcohol!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4697 on: September 16, 2024, 03:07:28 PM »
I know full well in this context IPA refers to IsoPropyl Alcohol, but I still can't stop myself thinking of a completely different type of alcohol!
I do the same thing when I see the cans at the grocery store 😆
I don't think it would peel-off gunk the same way though... though for some, after overindulging, it might feel the same ::)
Francois