Author Topic: I just made/fixed ...  (Read 109274 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: I just made/fixed ...
« Reply #350 on: August 15, 2019, 02:28:29 PM »
This was just a recalibration.
On the Kalart finder, you can only use one lens, the 135. But on the other finders, the one on top, there are actually removable cams hidden under the top plate.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2019, 09:38:15 AM »
Together ... the 6x6 Froglet that runs on A12 or A24 film holders, and La Rana (frog in Italian) that is a single sheet 8x10" paper shooter.

The film to pinhole distance is 115mm and the two offcentre pinholes are 0.4mm giving an F.288. I was looking at other builds and 8x10s seem to run between 85mm and 150mm - too wide or too long so I hope 115mm is a reasonable compromise. Being plywood and cherry it's solid yet light so shouldn't stress too much in a breeze the way some do.

It turns out that a small changing tent is cheaper than one 8x10 double darkslide, and if I really wanted to take multiple shots it would be lighter to carry a tent and a box of sheets than to carry any number of DDS.

I haven't shot paper negs since 2003, (it was the first step away from 35mm) but I have several boxes of Ilford paper that came from a redundant studio some ten years ago.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
That's a pretty looking thing, Sandeha. I'm looking forward to seeing shots taken with it.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #353 on: August 27, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »
Looks great Sandeha!
These cameras go very nicely together. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #354 on: August 27, 2019, 08:23:30 PM »
Looks pretty darn good.
Francois

Matt Lethbridge LRPS

• 35mm
    • No Lens Landscapes
« Reply #355 on: September 06, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
Looks brilliant Sandeha, can't wait to see the results......

Matt Lethbridge LRPS

• 35mm
    • No Lens Landscapes
« Reply #356 on: September 06, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »
I've recently made a new pinhole camera from a totally knackered Ensign, it's a 6x6 - 6x9 folder, 100mm focal length, 0.3mm pinhole and works out at F/333.............

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #357 on: September 06, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
I think your shutter takes the cake when it comes to uniqueness ;)
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #358 on: September 06, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
I've recently made a new pinhole camera from a totally knackered Ensign, it's a 6x6 - 6x9 folder, 100mm focal length, 0.3mm pinhole and works out at F/333.............

I did that with a folder that had a bad lens, the shutter works fine.  I adjust the bellows to different focal lengths, I have a cheat sheet taped to the back to give me the corresponding f stop. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #359 on: September 06, 2019, 09:01:42 PM »
Did something similar with an old Ansco Viking readyset that had a rusted-out shutter.
Managed to salvage the internal parts. Could have repaired it but I decided at the time to turn it into a pinhole.
I used the parts of the shutter to make a new one so that the camera looks largely unmodified.
Francois

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #360 on: September 08, 2019, 07:08:37 AM »
Just acquired a Beirette K100. Lens was foggy so I took it apart, and found some rather interesting engineering. Foggy lenses seem to be a common problem on these cameras, and now I know why. The lens is a two element achromat design - but it is uncemented, and there is a thin paper washer between the elements to keep an airspace between them. I didn't know this, so when I started cleaning the glass, I was surprised to see liquid getting sucked into the lens... I had to gently break the lens apart, since the retaining ring is glued in. The upside is, I got to clean the inner surfaces that I hadn't even known existed. So the uncleanable haze these lenses tend to have, is hidden in the air space between the elements, that most achromatic lenses do not have. I suppose it saved the East Germans a penny or two on glue.

The other thing I saw was really quite clever. The shutter has three settings. Sunny, Cloudy, and B. The sunny setting is the "fast" shutter speed (looks to be about 1/60th), while the cloudy setting is not a "slow" speed - but rather an automatic double exposure.  If you're familiar with how the common rotary shutter in a box camera works, this is much the same. On the sunny setting, the slot on the rotating sector passes over the aperture, exposing the film. The sector then stops in its travel when it hits a small pin that is set in place with the shutter speed dial. When you select the cloudy setting, the pin is moved out of the way, and the sector moves further, allowing a second slot in the sector to pass over the aperture, giving a second exposure of about 1/60th (and with about the same increment of time between each exposure). So effectively you get 1/30 on the cloudy section, but it's two exposures of 1/60th. This is such a stupidly simple way of giving more exposure times, that I'm actually surprised I haven't seen it on any actual box cameras before.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #361 on: September 08, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
Whoo! A beirette!
You're in for quite a surprise, they were considered to be the 35mm equivalent of the holga.
The lenses had an air gap because they are made from the same type of glass. since they have the same refractive index, they can't be cemented together while maintaining the optical formula.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »
Do you know what time it is? It's Contraption time!
Yep, I did it again. I had the lens of a broken Yashica 35MF zone focus camera that had been sitting in a box for a good 10 years. So I decided to adapt it so it would fit my Fed 5B.
Apart from loosing the aperture which was part of the shutter assembly and not properly clocking the lens on the screw mount, everything went pretty flawlessly.
Took me a good 3 days to figure out how the darn thing worked in order to put it back together properly (it uses one of the weirdest focusing systems I've seen in a while) but I managed to get it to infinity focus.
Here's the monster. Now I need a viewfinder for it...
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »
That is scary, François... :)

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2019, 08:12:53 PM »
Like CS1 said, scary....but neat!
I'm definitely of the DIY school of thought, "If I can mount it, I'll shoot it."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2019, 10:11:46 PM »
That is scary, François... :)
And the outside isn't half as scary as the inside :)
I should say that Epoxy Steel like JB Weld is really good stuff. It makes your mistakes last forever!  ;D
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2019, 12:51:21 AM »
I ran a roll of film in my Primo Jr 4x4 TLR and I only got two good exposures -- along with 2 dark squares and 8 blank shots.  At first I thought there might be something wrong with the film advance mechanism but I ran a roll of backing paper through and it went through fine. Then I noticed that the shutter would be balky -- either not close all the way (black squares) or not really fire at all (blank shots), which I hadn't noticed before thinking I just couldn't see it, but checking it at slow speeds I could tell something was wrong.

So I got out the lighter fluid and luckily found online a blog post with photos of a disassembly of a Primo Jr so I knew where to go digging under the tolex to remove the screws holding the face plate, which I had to remove to unscrew the outer lens so I could get to the shutter.

After a lot of repeated swabbing with a naptha-soaked q-tip and sopping up dissolved dirt with a dry q-tip, it seems to work fine now.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2019, 03:12:24 PM »
Good thing it didn't require digging into the clockwork.
BTW, when I take a camera apart, I use an ice cube tray to keep the parts in groups. One cube by step.
Makes it easier to put things back together.
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2019, 08:05:59 PM »
Yeah, the pic of the film advance gearworks here scares me immensely

https://oldcam.wordpress.com/2016/05/07/primo-jr-rtf/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »
Well, at least they have a single possible position, pretty big screws and only one layer.
I've completely dismantled a few leaf shutters down to the aperture blades and let me tell you, this is a whole other thing.
Gears over gears, levers galore, and aperture blades are such a pain to put together right since the last one goes over the next to last one and under the first one you put in... Last time it took me about half an hour with massive swearing bouts before I got them to work. And I don't swear in regular daily life, so that tells you how much I enjoyed it!
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #370 on: October 28, 2019, 07:16:50 AM »
Got to fix this...

The intermittent slow speeds I knew about, also the loose mirror in the rangefinder. But another mirror was completely missing and the semi-silvered mirror was beyond saving and had to be replaced. (Note for people in the UK, semi silvered mirrors can be got from http://greenweld.co.uk/)

The meter is a very simple affair and battery voltage dependent, which wasn't a problem with mercury batteries but more of a problem now. So I modified it to be voltage independent. I've got a zinc air type battery in it now which are stable but don't last too long. With the modified circuit, it can use silver oxide or alkaline.

It takes pretty decent pictures...

but I don't like the bokeh.

Not a problem as the camera's already sold so I won't be using it.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #371 on: October 28, 2019, 01:20:13 PM »
Nice to see that you managed to fix the beast. I still haven't gathered all my courage to fix the aperture blade on mine
Francois

Moto-uno

• 35mm
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »
  Needed a bit of work  :( , this is a shout out to Richard Oleson for his detailed drawings that were of great help after my clean and lube went awry !  Peter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #373 on: November 16, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »
Well... that was quite something.
Hopefully you won't find in six months that small spring that needs to go somewhere  ;D
Francois

Moto-uno

• 35mm
« Reply #374 on: November 17, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »
 ^ It's as though you'd seen a previous repair of mine on a Kowa Six . I didn't just loose the springs , I melted them ! Actually ended up making springs from a box of scrap camera parts . I should see if I can find any pics from that exercise in patience  :) . Peter

Moto-uno

• 35mm
« Reply #375 on: November 17, 2019, 12:44:14 AM »
  I should also mention , I had one Pentacon Six TL that I was able to repair and ordered a custom camera skin from "Asahi ", to finish it off . Well , what if the gentleman didn't send another custom skin with the first . That led to another camera to add the skin to , which led to another for parts to repair it...., Peter

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #376 on: November 17, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
Aki-Asahi always send an extra set of covers to 'practice' with. Often it's in some horrible colour I would never use but sometimes they are quite nice and usable. A recent one they sent me was in tartan finish. I'm just waiting for someone from Scotland to ask me for a Contax 139 and I'm on it.

Here's an Aki freebie that I thought was quite nice.

And as this is the 'I just made/fixed' thread, I could mention this particular camera was made from spare parts out of my spare parts drawer. More info here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:36:43 AM by Pete_R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

MrclSchprs

« Reply #377 on: November 17, 2019, 01:10:49 PM »
... Here's an Aki freebie that I thought was quite nice ...

Not so long ago, I "fixed" my LX and it shows a somewhat remarkable resemblance ....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #378 on: November 17, 2019, 01:46:46 PM »
Maybe we should have a new thread "show us your new covers - red only"

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #379 on: November 17, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
I've got a few cameras that need new coverings... Maybe I should start thinking about getting this done.

^ It's as though you'd seen a previous repair of mine on a Kowa Six . I didn't just loose the springs , I melted them ! Actually ended up making springs from a box of scrap camera parts . I should see if I can find any pics from that exercise in patience  :) . Peter
How in the world did you manage to melt a spring? :o
I've done some breakage of all sorts but that would definitely be a first....
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #380 on: November 17, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »
I've got a few cameras that need new coverings... Maybe I should start thinking about getting this done.

Then maybe a good time to make some comments about replacement covers suppliers.

Aki-Asahi: Almost no complaints. Price is good and quick delivery. I've had a couple of covers that didn't stick very well but they immediately sent replacements. Choice of colours and finishes is a bit limited.

HugoStudio: Only used them once (the red croc in the picture above). Not great quality - thin and very shiny so little grip. Came with glue on the surface of one piece making it unusable. They are sending a replacement but I just got a very curt, one line, email to say they are sending it. No apology and no concern. I probably won't use them again. Good choice though.

CameraLeather: Don't even ask. Not sure they are still in business but if they are, just don't. OK?

Milly's (https://cameramill.co.uk/): Limited choice but always excellent service. They use goat skin (I think) which is quite soft and grippy if you like that sort of thing.

Maybe others have opinions.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #381 on: November 17, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
Yeah, heard the same thing about CameraLeather. Some people got billed and never received their stuff. Others got the wrong orders. And the guy doesn't answer his emails. Probably a case for the BBB...
Francois

Moto-uno

• 35mm
« Reply #382 on: November 17, 2019, 11:16:23 PM »

This is a picture of the repair I had to do to get the Kowa operational again . Pretty much the single most common source of camera failure . The single tooth on the main wind mechanism fails and I decided to use the carbide tooth from a wood saw blade and actually brazed it in place with an oxy-acetylene torch . Got a bit hot and the wiggly home made spring is what I came up with , still works fine . Words of encouragement from Ross Yerkes kept me from tossing the whole camera . And that's how I melted a spring ::).  Peter

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #383 on: November 18, 2019, 03:03:30 PM »
I'm mighty impressed.
But things like that can't happen to me since I don't weld much. Instead I get everything stuck together using JB Weld and then have to use the Dremel to try and get everything free again...
I've also got a few parts stuck to my fingers using CA glue.
Francois

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #384 on: November 23, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »

This is a picture of the repair I had to do to get the Kowa operational again . Pretty much the single most common source of camera failure . The single tooth on the main wind mechanism fails and I decided to use the carbide tooth from a wood saw blade and actually brazed it in place with an oxy-acetylene torch . Got a bit hot and the wiggly home made spring is what I came up with , still works fine . Words of encouragement from Ross Yerkes kept me from tossing the whole camera . And that's how I melted a spring ::).  Peter

That's an impressive bit of camera repairing. Well done! It reminds me of the saying "experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined" which doesn't even apply to you because you made it work in the end. :)

Moto-uno

• 35mm
« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »
  ^Thanks for your remark , I didn't mention that the entire camera repair (including lens and film back repair ) was a mere 123 hours !
Without being retired this would still be on the desk a year later . The mechanics of these cameras truly intrigues me :), Peter

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #386 on: November 27, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
This is the Kodak Signet 35 that I posted about in the "Dont you just love found pictures?" thread http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=6295.msg134163#msg134163.  The shutter wasn't working, the beam splitter silver was gone, the lens was dirty and the viewfinder was dirty.  I cleaned the lens, opened the shutter and gave it a lighter fluid rinse.  I took the top off and replaced the beam splitter with one out of a non-working Minolta Hi-Matic F.  I cleaned all the viewfinder and rangefinder windows and internal glass.  I adjusted and calibrated the rangefinder.  Cleaned it up and put it back together.  Using the beam splitter from the Minolta makes the rangefinder better than the original.  It has a yellow tint that makes it much easier to see.  Even though I already had one of these I couldn't pass this one up, especially since I had the Minolta for parts.  These are great little rangefinders with a nice sharp Kodak 44mm Ektar lens. 

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #387 on: November 30, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
Two little 6x9 cuties with new bellows. Both dated around 1930 and both in excellent condition.

Left: Butcher Watch Pocket Carbine with the upmarket Cooke 4" 5.6 Anastigmat lens.

Right: Kodak No2 Hawkette with a Bakelite body and a meniscus lens. Never on sale but given away as premium scheme merch.

IMGP9652xx by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #388 on: November 30, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
I'm such a sucker for Bakelite stuff....
Francois

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2019, 04:18:59 PM »

When I was working to set up my Koniflex for flash, I noticed the flash terminal (old-style Kodak bayonet) was loose. So I decided to open it up and tighten it. I was hoping I could get in there by removing the viewfinder assembly but no such luck. I had to take off the front plate. In order to take off the front plate, I needed to screw off the view lens. No biggie. Except when I unscrewed it, I noticed this weird slip/pop. Oh well, I was able to tighten the terminal and so started to put it back together.

I found out when trying to put it back together that someone previously had stripped the view lens threads but managed to get it together. The stripped threads part was what I heard when I unscrewed it. I figured if the other person was able to have it hold together I could too. But I couldn't. I mourned. I cursed my flashy ambitions. I looked on ebay for a parts Koniflex.

The same guy I bought my original Koniflex from in Taiwan had a parts Koniflex also -- advance didn't work, back wouldn't close, taking lens outer element badly scratched. Perfect!

So it arrived in two days and I went to work. The view lens on the parts camera was very difficult to screw off, which caused me great anxiety, but with the aid of a special pliers, I got it off. 60 year-old grease = glue. Let some fine oil soak in around the threads for a day beforehand.

I took the whole lens plate assembly from the parts camera and installed it on the original camera's focusing mechanism (very easy to do - 4 screws). And I took the outer taking lens element from the original camera and screwed it onto the newly installed lens plate assembly from the parts camera. Added bonuses: the parts camera shutter has more accurate times and Bulb works, unlike on my original camera (but I wonder about the utility of Bulb mode on a camera that doesn't have a way to use a cable release -- I can always jam toothpicks in the mechanism, I guess); and the new lens plate assembly has a PC flash socket so no more spliced old bayonet flash terminals and M bulb early flash times to compensate for. I also took the ground glass and viewfinder latch from the parts camera because they were better than what was on the original camera.

So the last thing to do was test the new Koniflexenstein.
https://www.hookstrapped.com/album/koniflex-enstein-hp5-tests

It passed! Thank goodness...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:38:37 PM by hookstrapped »

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #390 on: December 19, 2019, 04:38:43 PM »
That's a great piece of work, done, and successful shots following.
I think the wonderful thing is getting over the initial feeling that a camera is fubar ... and then sometimes little more than a few emails can bring in a donor.
And it's always nice to have a working TLR.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #391 on: December 19, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »
Nice job Peter!  I would have been worried about the focus, I know sometimes that's adjusted with shims when the camera is manufactured but it looks like you where successful.  I just recently purchased a 6X6 ground glass for checking focus on my medium format rangefinders, it works great and there is a seller on eBay that sells them fairly cheap. 

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #392 on: December 19, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
Yeah, the focus was what I was worried about. I screwed in the view lens until it gave correct apparent focus -- testing at infinity and 4 feet. But the question was the taking lens.

Unlike my Mamiya C220 that has shims that adjust where the ground glass sets, the Koniflex doesn't. Maybe because the view lens screws in with no definite seating.

But there are shims at the 4 screws connecting the lens plate assembly to the focus assembly, and both cameras had 2 shims (thin washers) at those points, so that was encouraging.

Anyway, I'm very happy and relieved. I love my Koniflex and I thought I had rendered it unusable  :'( but as it turned out everything is fine  :D 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #393 on: December 19, 2019, 10:08:13 PM »
Looks like you had better luck than me with my Retinette 1A...
I'll have to take another stab at it sometime...
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Just re-lubed my Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.... again.
First grease was too thick, so this time I put just a small dab of moly grease with a paintbrush. It seems I still put too much in but at least it's usable.

I've come to a point where I can do the job in about ½ hour, including setting infinity.
Francois

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #395 on: February 05, 2020, 04:38:44 PM »
So, as I mentioned over in the 'I just picked up' thread, I got a Yasuhara T981 recently. What I 'fixed' was just about everything. At least, that's how it feels after disassembling it four times. The highlights included several modifications around the rangefinder to make it work better and to make it easier to adjust. Some modification to the meter circuit to improve the LED display and some grinding and lubricating of the, very unusual, offset rewind crank which didn't help much but it's now usable. I also added a grip and used up some blue leather I had left over to recover it.

I also bought a Jupiter 8 lens to go with it which needed a complete strip down as the focus was so stiff you almost needed a wrench to move it. And I'm working on the lens that came with it as it wouldn't focus on infinity. I've taken out a shim but haven't tested it yet.

Here's a few random pictures.

Top plate parts

Top plate off

Front plate, lens mount and rangefinder assembly

Chassis with shutter

Individual resistors added to each display LED so brightness could be adjusted. Previously there was one resistor for all.

Rangefinder in bits

With the Jupiter 8 and added grip
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:44:07 PM by Pete_R »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #396 on: February 05, 2020, 04:49:54 PM »
Wow!  :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #397 on: February 05, 2020, 09:55:18 PM »
That is one heck of a teardown.
That reminds me of all the cameras I have that need fixing... some of them are really not obvious.
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #398 on: March 16, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
This is the last one, as the wood is finished and I'm not planning to buy more. I used up the last of the maple and the cherry, and also requisitioned a gear and pinion from a damaged Hasselblad A12 to turn the winding gear of the Fuji GX680 film insert. Careful positioning, and the fact that the gear teeth are a perfect match, means that it winds on very, very smoothly.

I could potentially get 9 shots out of a 6x8 but it's sure to be less than that, and some wide gaps, until I narrow down the number of turns for each frame. If I get six from the first roll I'll be fine with that.

IMGP9841a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

IMGP9829a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

IMGP9825a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

IMGP9822a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

IMGP9815a by Sandeha Lynch, on Flickr

The Sessantotto pinhole camera is a 6x8 with a 45mm pinfilm distance and a 0.25mm pinhole disk. It equates approximately to the same angle of view as a 20mm lens on a 135 camera. As such, it fills the gap between my other 6x6, 6x7, and 6x9, 120 roll film pinhole cameras.

Unusually for me, I started out with some sketches, but the final details were still completed as a 3D design-as-you-go project.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #399 on: March 16, 2020, 09:12:49 PM »
Looks pretty darn good.
Francois