Author Topic: The second semi-annual NYC-area FW "Hey, I'm walkin' here!" meetup!  (Read 4819 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
02Pilot, limr, hookstrapped, and I had a semi-impromptu meetup on Halloween eve, so sorry for not inviting Terry and other locals. We'll do it next time. Anyways, we ended up walking around Central Park south for a little while (and I was right chuffed that I had found the one quiet spot in NYC on a Friday that was also Halloween!) and then ended up at a small bar on the upper west side. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe we were all pushing Tri-X, albeit in different cameras. My weapon of choice was my trusty Canonet, and I was pushing the film to 1600.

I had originally planned to develop it in Rodinal 1:100 for an hour, but TinTin's repost of Nate Matos' 12,800 Tri-X shot inspired me to try HC110 dil H (my fave) for 25 minutes (massive dev chart recco's 16min for dil B [ie 32min for dil H], my own calculations for dil H suggests 22.5 min [2.25 push factor * 10 min @ 400], so I roughly averaged them) and here's what came out.

Tri-X @1600, HC110 dil H, 25 minutes, inversions every 5 min. I think I would have preferred Rodinal 1:100's treatment of shadows, but I can't say I'm displeased by these results. Oh, full disclosure: I ended up increasing the exposure by 1-2 stops in Lightroom for all of them.

(I think I spot a Peter there!)

This is my submission for the "smokeshot competition" :)

LINES!

Then today, just for laughs, I took 2 pictures rated at ISO800 and ISO400, respectively, just to see how the development scheme would treat them. I predicted massive overdevelopment, but instead I got:

ISO800

ISO400

Conclusion = FILM: I CAN'T BREAK IT EVEN IF I TRY.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: The second semi-annual NYC-area FW "Hey, I'm walkin' here!" meetup!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »
I was actually shooting HP5+ and pushing to 1600 in Caffenol C-L (75min semi-stand). It ends up a little grainy, but that's to be expected.

I was using my Canon L1 mounting a new-to-me Canon Serenar 50/1.9 collapsible, a lens with all sorts of character (read: known imperfections), especially wide open, which is of course how I was shooting it. These were some of the first rolls I shot with this lens, and I must say I quite like its rendering for street photographs. I was shooting at 1/30, and shooting fast, so it's no surprise that some frames aren't exactly pin-sharp, not that I care.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:16:57 AM »
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh that ATM shot. How did you even? :D Also, I love the contrast on that last shot. Well done!! I remember walking around the entire pool looking for a good shot and I didn't see one, but you did!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »
Yeah, I was quite pleased with the ATM photo. The guy was staring at the girl through the window (they were obviously together and just fooling around - it wasn't some sort of creepy stalker thing), and I figured there might be something there. When she looked up and returned the stare I knew my instinct was right (a big pile of dumb luck didn't hurt). Oh, and I believe that's you walking around the reflecting pool.

BTW, I think your steam shot beats mine. The tunnel shot is really good too. That Canonet serves you well; I didn't even think to ask - QL17?
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:52:49 AM »
Yeah, I was going to say that looks like me :D Yes, QL17, the only one worth owning ;)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Yeah, I was going to say that looks like me :D Yes, QL17, the only one worth owning ;)

Glad I sold my QL19 then....  ;)

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:15 PM »
The 17 is 2 better!

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:49:19 AM »
I SO have to get developing! Including the two rolls I'm pushing, I've got a back log of 3 rolls of Tri-X and a roll of Arista 200. Been slacking big time. I hope I get some shots as good as these! Satish, I love that tunnel shot, and I'm amazed at how those last two at 400 and 800 came out.

I had my K1000 and shot one roll each of Tri-X and HP5.

I also had the Delta 3200 in the Holga but I haven't finished that roll yet.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »
Great shots all around!
I love the first one - reminds me of "The Third Man"  8) The smoke shots are also very cool.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
I love the first one - reminds me of "The Third Man"  8)

I didn't see it until you mentioned it, but it definitely does bear more than a passing resemblance. One of my all-time favorite movies.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
Pitchers!

This one came from the less good Tri-X roll - you know, the one where I forgot how to shoot? ;) But I like Satish's explanation better that maybe it's just the film+developer fault.

Into the tunnel by limrodrigues, on Flickr

My second roll was HP5 and it reacted much better to the semi-stand in Caffenol.

My version of the ATM shot. I think 02's is better, but I do like the eye contact in this one:

Bank deposit by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Wish I'd gotten a tad more detail in his face:

Dining out by limrodrigues, on Flickr

The steam that none of us could resist!

Hotel Empire by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Another 'my version of...' 

Jilted by limrodrigues, on Flickr

A terrifying beast:

Kidzilla by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I can't resist a good reflection:

Scupture by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Post-modern photography. Or meta-photography perhaps?  ;D

Snapshot by limrodrigues, on Flickr

And finally, a bite to eat:

Street food by limrodrigues, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:49:50 PM by limr »
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

johnmcropper

• 35mm
    • Analog Columbus
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 02:56:28 PM »
Those are awesome! I particularly really like the Hotel Empire shot. Fantastic mood.
Instagram: @johnmcropper
Twitter: @johnmcropper
analogcolumbus.tumblr.com

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »
Those are awesome! I particularly really like the Hotel Empire shot. Fantastic mood.

Thanks, John! The Hotel shot is my favorite, too :)
Leonore

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
Although I agree that 02's bank shot (hey, did I just use a sports term?) is better, I like your reflecting pool shot, despite the fact that it does NOT feature my excellent modeling talents :) I also have no idea which smokeshot I like best, they all have their own appeal. And I'm a total sucker for street cart shots, so thanks for taking that :)

Also, I don't think you "failed" with that Tri-X shot at all?  :-\ It just looks super-contrasty, like Tri-X does... just more so because it's pushed...

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:51 AM »
Although I agree that 02's bank shot (hey, did I just use a sports term?) is better, I like your reflecting pool shot, despite the fact that it does NOT feature my excellent modeling talents :) I also have no idea which smokeshot I like best, they all have their own appeal. And I'm a total sucker for street cart shots, so thanks for taking that :)

Also, I don't think you "failed" with that Tri-X shot at all?  :-\ It just looks super-contrasty, like Tri-X does... just more so because it's pushed...

Thanks! :)

The Tri-X roll had some decent shots, but so much of it ended up far too dark to work with. I'm sure part of that was me underestimating light or relying too much on the light meter. But I'm also going through that roll again and there are some shots that I dismissed at first that actually work much better with some cropping and some light editing.

In fact, here's one that features your excellent modeling skills! Work it, baby! :D

Leonore

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 04:49:10 AM »
I look best in silhouette ;)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 04:51:47 AM »
I look best in silhouette ;)

You and me both  :D
Leonore