Author Topic: I want to waste film and make a book with other people.  (Read 20816 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
I want to waste film and make a book with other people.
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
I just finished working on an anthology with other comic artists, and have another one in the works. I began to think what sort of anthology I would make if I wanted to work together with other photographers.

I decided that I didn't want to dictate a theme or subject to others, instead the connection would be technical. Everybody would take photos with some iteration of the Exa cameras.  I like the Exa because it is extremely simple, and easy to find cheaply for most people, most places. Unlike say the Leica self portrait book, this sort of equipment should be easily attainable for most. The interest I think is seeing how different photographers would handle a primitive, limited, but capable and flexible camera such as the Exa.

Each photographer would get a minimum of a two page spread (two facing pages) - submit a minimum of four images + a photograph of themselves with their exa (proof they have at least touched one).

Images do not have to be new, but preferably would be.  ;)

If a ton of people are interested and submit then I would turn to a crowd funding site to get the funds to print a short run, buy an ISBN and award everybody copies for participating. If it just ends up being a few people I will go through a print on demand service, and it will just be a for-fun type of deal.

Who would be interested?

PS: for the uninitiated Exas are these guys:

exa by berangberang, on Flickr

Exa 1b by berangberang, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:45:38 PM by Flippy »

Terry

Re: I want to waste film and make a book with other people.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
I'd be interested.  Got a fistful of older Exas.  I like them because they're cheap to buy, simple to use and so simple to fix if anything goes wrong.  And you can park some really good glass on the front.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »
Hi Flippy.

I'm interested in the idea but don't currently have an Exa. Just for the sake of clarity, does this have to be specifically Exa or would Exakta be acceptable as well? (Reason I ask is that there's quite a bit more Exakta than Exa stuff on the big bidding site).  Also, do you have a timescale in mind?

Cheers, Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
I would like to keep it to the Exas. The Exaktas as interesting as they are, are really a totally different beast. The Exa is almost entirely unique in the world of SLRs for its simplicity which is what I find interesting about them.

I would like to give this project a year, so everybody can photograph in whatever season they like best if need be, and have plenty of time to find and work with their camera if they have never used one before.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Why not do one of those "get a bunch of people and mail the camera from person to person" projects? I dont have one of these cameras either and currently feel no need to buy any other cameras. (yes i've kicked GAS, for now) But would like to participate.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
Why not do one of those "get a bunch of people and mail the camera from person to person" projects? I dont have one of these cameras either and currently feel no need to buy any other cameras. (yes i've kicked GAS, for now) But would like to participate.

Because such projects tend to run long, get held up, or have the camera stolen.

I would be willing to lend people in the U.S. a ratty Exa with a domiplan if they're willing to pay a small deposit (in the event it gets stolen or dropped off a cliff - I will include a camera strap to lessen the chances of that though). If several people want to share the camera everybody can just pay a fraction of the deposit. When the camera returns to me I would send the money back.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
I'm going to find a fully-working "user" EXA of some description with a decent lens (any idea what lens I should be looking for in the 35mm to 50mm range??) and see how I get on.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Sounds good! I'll investigate the Exa model range ...  :D

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
hmmm some of the Exa'a are cheap . . . and there are a lot "for repair" available.
glass is affordable also  :)

anyway yea nice idea. I wonder does the Exa produce any distinctive image styles
like the Holga with its blurrey edges and dark corners for instance.

sounds like a nice idea

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
Damnit. Now I want one. GAS flare-up.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
hmmm some of the Exa'a are cheap . . . and there are a lot "for repair" available.

anyway yea nice idea. I wonder does the Exa produce any distinctive image styles

sounds like a nice idea

My thoughts entirely.

My interest is piqued sufficiently to find out if Exa photos have a defined "signature". If not, IMO, there's little to warrant buying one.  It's also probably why it's unlikely there'd be a Nikon or Canon version of this project.  Most "modern" cameras / lenses were designed to eradicate such things and produce photos that are sharp from edge to edge, contrasty and virtually undistinguishable from one another.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:45 PM »
My interest is piqued sufficiently to find out if Exa photos have a defined "signature". If not, IMO, there's little to warrant buying one.  It's also probably why it's unlikely there'd be a Nikon or Canon version of this project.  Most "modern" cameras / lenses were designed to eradicate such things and produce photos that are sharp from edge to edge, contrasty and virtually undistinguishable from one another.

That probably depends entirely on the lens your selection. Also there are Exas with Exakta mount and ones with M42 mount. I guess there's no point in CZJ lenses for you then (although that's probably the cheapest way to get a 20mm CZJ lens), but there were a huge amount of lenses made (http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Exakta_bayonet_mount).

Terry

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
The distinctive design feature about the (older) Exas was the barrel shutter.  There is no curtain: the mirror is part of a metal barrel structure that rotates upward when you trip the shutter.  Exposure is accomplished by delaying the barrel as it follows the mirror up.  This means that there is sometimes a graduated grey-out along the top edge of the exposure.  But if you're looking for a 'krappy kamera' look the Exa won't give it to you.  I've shot many rolls with my Exas and they look as good as the Exaktas.  Just fewer fancy options and fewer gears inside.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
What sort of timeline are you envisioning? If you are not in too much of a hurry I can join the bandwagon. Need to find an Exa though. Always found them interesting, and now an excuse better than any other to get one. :)
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
I would like to keep it to the Exas. The Exaktas as interesting as they are, are really a totally different beast. The Exa is almost entirely unique in the world of SLRs for its simplicity which is what I find interesting about them.

That should give you enough time :) Same here, I also don't have an Exa, yet.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

sounds like a nice idea

My thoughts entirely.

Aside from vignetting with lenses over 135mm, there is nothing distinctive about the images themselves, no visual gimmicks. That is sort of the point.

Because the Exa is a "real" camera but about as a basic as a "real" camera can get. It has interchangeable lenses, it has interchangeable viewfinders, you can obtain excellent image quality if you want - but you have to live within the Exa's limited, simple world. Three and a half shutter speeds - 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, and 1/150. A mirror that blacks out until you wind on. No internal meter, no superfluous doodads.

Could you adapt a lens that vignettes or gives crazy blurriness? Of course (try a lens from an old Imperial 127 camera - or a wide angle auxiliary lens with a flipped element). There are also some early lenses for the Exakta sysem with distinctive rendering. On the other hand if you want something conventional you have lenses like the Pancolar and Schneider Xenon. Adapt the camera to your photographic tastes, that is the fun I think in this project.

PS: I would recommend staying away from the Exa II, Exa IIb, and Exa 500. These are all more conventional cameras with focal plane shutters - and all much more like to be broken and unusable than the Exas with the metal sector shutter. I would not turn away anybody who uses them - but be warned!

PPS: the Exa 1a, b, c group on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/exa/pool/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:03:59 PM by Flippy »

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »
So an M42 Exa would not be cheating? ;)
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
So an M42 Exa would not be cheating? ;)

The 1b and 1c are perfectly fine Exas. ☆ミ(o*・ω・)ノ

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
There are lots of images to choose from here, they're all fairly sharp and 'signature' free.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/exa/pool/

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
Flippy: Please count me in, providing you accept tasteful nudes, as that's all I take these days.

This is such a great idea - and a really important reason to buy (yet another) camera.

Thanks for starting the topic
David
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
Nice looking Exa 1a is in the mail and I should receive it by the end of next week.
The seller is from Germany and I hope the camera will arrive even sooner.  :)
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »
Flippy: Please count me in, providing you accept tasteful nudes, as that's all I take these days.

This is such a great idea - and a really important reason to buy (yet another) camera.

Thanks for starting the topic
David

It should be ok. Most print on demand services these days seem to have an "R rated" policy, so artful nudity should not be a problem.

Nice looking Exa 1a is in the mail and I should receive it by the end of next week.
The seller is from Germany and I hope the camera will arrive even sooner.  :)

Good to hear!

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
Flippy, I would love to be involved! I have an Exacta with a wonderful lens that Terry sent me. I will try to find an Exa cause I can always find room for another camera..And I love the way they look! I will let you know when I get hold of one!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:12:27 PM by Diane Peterson »

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »
A reason/excuse to pickup another camera? I'm in. Off to find an Exa....

nachtiris

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:03 AM »
Hi flippy,

I'd like to join the project. I have the posibillity to buy a EXA II, would it fit? Or just the EXAs of the first serie?

Christian

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
Found one. Now I have to see if it works. If so, I'll be ready to go. If not, it will be interesting trying to find someone who can fix it....

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
Hi flippy,

I'd like to join the project. I have the posibillity to buy a EXA II, would it fit? Or just the EXAs of the first serie?

Christian

I recommend avoiding the Exa II, but if you use it I would not exclude it from the project.

Found one. Now I have to see if it works. If so, I'll be ready to go. If not, it will be interesting trying to find someone who can fix it....

I don't think I've ever encountered a broken Exa (except for light leaks or a slow shutter).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:11:04 PM by Flippy »

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have an Exa, and I've never seen one before. I'll definitely recognize one now though, thanks for bringing this one to light for me.

This sounds like a great concept though!

Extendible even to the humble Ensign Ful-Vue ;)

nachtiris

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
I recommend avoiding the Exa II, but if you use it I would not exclude it from the project.

OK, lets see. But I think I will watch out for a first series EXA.

Usually I am not an early adopter, but this time I will take a risk with a EXA ONE  ;)

Regards, Christian

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 12:44:03 AM »
Waiting on the delivery of my Exa...will there be a theme to follow?

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »
There is no theme beyond the camera used. You may use it whichever way you think it works best - whatever gets your goat in the boat.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
There is no theme beyond the camera used. You may use it whichever way you think it works best - whatever gets your goat in the boat.

You said boat?  ;)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 07:09:07 AM »

You said boat?  ;)
there should be a sub forum for all these boats haha :P
(and maybe another book project?)
/jonas

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
I wholeheartedly support this suggestion.  ;D

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
I just ordered a 1961 version of the ur-Exa. But seller is away, so will take a while to get here.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »
I'm still trying to find one. Obviously there are plenty, but I don't want to spend much :)

Fluminian: the person that's most excited about a project should start it :)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
I'm still trying to find one. Obviously there are plenty, but I don't want to spend much :)

Fluminian: the person that's most excited about a project should start it :)

I don't know about other participants' level of excitement, but I'll start it as soon as my EXA arrives.  :)

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Mine should arrive by Wednesday..ready to load up and start shooting!

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a 1a. Looking forward to shooting with it. Would love to participate in the book.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »
Today my Exa 1c with a Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 arrived. I already like how small that camera is. And it's black! :) The fact that the lens can focus down to 30cm is an added bonus.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »
Today my Exa 1c with a Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 arrived. I already like how small that camera is. And it's black! :) The fact that the lens can focus down to 30cm is an added bonus.

Same lens I had on my MTL 3. Not a bad lens, quite good in fact. Mine got sent from Germany today, equipped with a 50/2.8 Tessar.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
And I forgot: All for about 10€ :)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:55 AM »
I agree the Pentacon 1.8 is a good lens - have had several on old prakticas.

bottle by berangberang, on Flickr

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
Good to know! I'm really looking forward to using this camera. I really, really like the design and how small it is. And of course the price. 10€ for an almost mint one with WLF, prism, box, strap, manual, and a flash :)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
€10 for all that? Since you most likely have change to spare Urban, you may be interested in this little gem: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=161085868612
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
Ha ha. Sure! ;D

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
My 1a arrived today! Loaded a roll of Delta 400. Now for the long wait for the workday to end...

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »
It looks nice.

Here are some old photos I took with an Exa a while ago:

Water Lillies by berangberang, on Flickr

proud turtle by berangberang, on Flickr

path by berangberang, on Flickr

Maybe they will inspire people xD

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »
Nice images, Flippy. What lens and film did you use?

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »
Nice images, Flippy. What lens and film did you use?

The first one is with a a sigma 28mm lens, the others are with a Meritar. The film was fuji superia.

Here's a new one on agfa precisa:

bicycle3 by berangberang, on Flickr