Author Topic: I want to waste film and make a book with other people.  (Read 20799 times)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Re: I want to waste film and make a book with other people.
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »
Thanks, Flippy. The bike image is great. Very sharp too.  How does Meritar compare to Pancolar?
I've got Domiplan too, but I believe it's a simple triplet.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »
Despite the recommendation to avoid, I've recently acquired an Exa IIb. Why? The shop from which I bought it had half a dozen or so Ib and IIb bodies with a selection of different lenses. As the shop wasn't exactly selling them by the dozen, I got to choose and pair the most functioning and cosmetically acceptable body and the clearest and most smoothly focusing lens. Incidentally, the lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 22.8 Tessar.

I'm aiming to run some HP5+ through it this weekend.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
Despite the recommendation to avoid, I've recently acquired an Exa IIb. Why? The shop from which I bought it had half a dozen or so Ib and IIb bodies with a selection of different lenses. As the shop wasn't exactly selling them by the dozen, I got to choose and pair the most functioning and cosmetically acceptable body and the clearest and most smoothly focusing lens. Incidentally, the lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 22.8 Tessar.

Paul - which shop?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
Thanks, Flippy. The bike image is great. Very sharp too.  How does Meritar compare to Pancolar?

The meritar is also a triplet. The pancolar is a double gauss design. The Pancolar is very sharp which does not come across on the slide as well as it should.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

The meritar is also a triplet. The pancolar is a double gauss design. The Pancolar is very sharp which does not come across on the slide as well as it should.

Thanks, Flippy. So Pancolar is similar to Zeiss Planar?

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »

Thanks, Flippy. So Pancolar is similar to Zeiss Planar?

Yes. Here is a page which details many different types of Exakta lenses: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/lenses.html

Here's a print:

vx5006 by berangberang, on Flickr

It is a sharp lens with very smooth OOF rendering, it actually seems to give a very modern look compared a lot of other fast lenses from the era.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2013, 07:04:54 PM »
Very useful link, Flippy.  I'm waiting for the new WLF and when it arrives I'll be using my
 Pancolar lens as it produces beautiful images judging by your samples.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
Despite the recommendation to avoid, I've recently acquired an Exa IIb. Why? The shop from which I bought it had half a dozen or so Ib and IIb bodies with a selection of different lenses. As the shop wasn't exactly selling them by the dozen, I got to choose and pair the most functioning and cosmetically acceptable body and the clearest and most smoothly focusing lens. Incidentally, the lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f2.8 Tessar.

Paul - which shop?

Hi Nigel.

The Real Camera Company, 7 Dale Street, Manchester, M1 1JA (0161 907 3236 and sales@realcamera.co.uk)

They didn't have the cameras on display. I called in as I was working up there a week or so back and asked whether they had any Exas. Initially, they said "no" but then one of the guys said he thought there were some in a box which, once retrieved, had half a dozen or so in it. All seemed okay, I just got to mix and match a bit as no-one had been near them - probably for months or years.

They don't accept credit or debit cards but, as they do have an eBay account, I suspect that they will do PayPal.

Nice bunch of guys - film nuts, of course. I'm in Manchester early September so, if you need me to pick anything up, just let me know.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »
The Real Camera Company, 7 Dale Street, Manchester, M1 1JA (0161 907 3236 and sales@realcamera.co.uk)

Paul - I happened to walk past it once, but I was late for a meeting and just didn't have the time to pop in. Thanks for the offer but I'm really trying to be strong and not buy any more cameras - at least for a couple of months!  ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
Hi Nigel.

They didn't have the cameras on display. I called in as I was working up there a week or so back and asked whether they had any Exas. Initially, they said "no" but then one of the guys said he thought there were some in a box which, once retrieved, had half a dozen or so in it. All seemed okay, I just got to mix and match a bit as no-one had been near them - probably for months or years.

They keep the real stuff under the counter.  :D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2013, 12:45:18 AM »
Hi Nigel.

They keep the real stuff under the counter.  :D

What makes you say that, Flippy? Are you a fellow Mancunian? Have you visited the shop that often? The majority of their film equipment is on display in their various cabinets. They couldn't be more helpful and, as someone who is from Manchester and visits their shop regularly, they are remarkably open and receptive to requests for even the most obscure equipment. They have way too much gear to list on the website at any time and their turnover of kit would make listing it all an administrative nightmare.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
The WLF for my Exa 1a has arrived and the little Exa is finally complete.
I'm ready to start shooting with it. Hera ra some images of the little beauty.
Sorry for the ugly cloth under it.

Yglotte

• A 15 year old film "photographer"
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
When I was in Berlin, there was a lot of these Exa cameras, but I never really thought they were good. i guess now, I'll be hunting for one  :D Do they have specifics problems that can be checked before buying ?

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
I want to waste film and make a book with other people.
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
My Exa is turning out to be an exercise in learning to shoot lefty. My right index finger keeps reflexively seeking the shutter button.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »
When I was in Berlin, there was a lot of these Exa cameras, but I never really thought they were good. i guess now, I'll be hunting for one  :D Do they have specifics problems that can be checked before buying ?

There's only two problems that I have seen people have, the most common one is a slow or sticky shutter which can cause uneven exposure or a vignetted image. This can be checked easily enough by simply taking the lens off and firing the shutter at all speeds while looking through the back of the camera. If the shutter is working properly the rectangular outline of the shutter opening will be sharp/distinct at all shutter speeds (even though the shutter opening is just a slit at the top speed, thanks to persistance of vision it will still appear as if the the shutter is momentarily all open). If the shutter is capping you will notice that the  rectangle gets "cut" off as you switch to higher speeds. Many times all the camera needs is some exercise to wake it up. Worst case scenario the camera must be opened and old lubricants cleaned off.

A less common problem but one which can be a pain is that Exas which were made during the same period as the Exakta VXIIa can have a faulty light seal behind the top of the mirror. There is a little flap of fabric which covers the hinge at the top of the mirror and it is the same shutter curtain material used on the Exakta - just like Exakta VXIIa shutter, it is prone to getting pinholes. There is no real good way to test it without running film through, except perhaps to remove the view finder and lens, and shine a bright light through while looking through the back of the camera for any leaks. The simplest fix is to brush the seal with a small bit of fabric paint.

That is really about all that can go wrong with these.

My Exa is turning out to be an exercise in learning to shoot lefty. My right index finger keeps reflexively seeking the shutter button.

It's even worse than with an Exakta, where at least the advance is also on the left so your brain doesn't have to keep switching hands every shot.  :D

What makes you say that, Flippy? Are you a fellow Mancunian?

No, I was just making a lame joke. 0:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:23:04 PM by Flippy »

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
I want to shoot with the Pancolar as this is better lens than Domiplan, but Domiplan has such
a nice, flexible shutter release trigger that I keep wondering if it is really that worse than Pancolar.   :)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
I want to shoot with the Pancolar as this is better lens than Domiplan, but Domiplan has such
a nice, flexible shutter release trigger that I keep wondering if it is really that worse than Pancolar.   :)

You can try both. I like the Pancolar because it focuses closer, gives a brighter viewfinder and has very smooth rendering. But the domiplan is a sharp lens despite its reputation. There are a lot of interesting lenses for the Exakta mount out there.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

You can try both. I like the Pancolar because it focuses closer, gives a brighter viewfinder and has very smooth rendering. But the domiplan is a sharp lens despite its reputation. There are a lot of interesting lenses for the Exakta mount out there.

If you say that Domiplan is a sharp lens I'll shoot with both of my Exakta lenses.  :)

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
I have finally shot a film with an Exa 1a!   It was an Afa Precisa 100 reversal film.
You can see some images in the weekend thread.

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
I am really new here, but I am interested in this. If I can find a camera, how do I participate? I have my eye on a couple of Exas at various places, just doing some research before I drop the hammer. (Heh, any excuse for a new old camera).

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
Everything you need to know (so far) is in the first post.  ;)

You just need to have an exa and go figure out how you can best enjoy it.

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »
Just shopping around for a camera at this point. Found a couple on Etsy, will check with a couple of camera shops that carry older stuff this weekend when I get my car out of the shop. Sounds like fun.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »
I really like those Exa cameras so much that I bought Exa 1a x2 (one with wlf and the other with prism finder)
and that was not enough so  I've just bought one Exa 1b on ebay.   :D

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
My ur-Exa v.6 arrived yesterday. Now loaded with PolyPan F.

Exa v.6 by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
Such a nice looking camera.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »
Yes, indeed. I prefer the older ones from an aesthetic perspective. This is a version 6 of the first generation of cameras. The prior versions (even the Rheinmetall versions) with engraved logos are even prettier.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:59 PM »
I got a sweet Exa with a Meritar and even landed a prism finder. If I go shooting this weekend, the Exa will be in my bag.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »
So many Exas back in action! I have a warm feeling in my chest whenever I put the roll of
film in an old and forgotten camera.

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2013, 05:59:02 AM »
I got one!
LoL I am getting GAS bad!
I was buying a Foldex 20 from a guy on Etsy and asked if he ever saw any Exas, he said someone in his area (Denver, I think) had one on Craigslist that he was going to look at. I said if it was decent and cheap, I'd take it.
It's a 1b and he says it's in really good shape. It has the Russian Industar 50mm 3.5 lens, hope that's a good one. It was cheap and he's throwing in a light meter so I can stop using my phone. I bought two other cameras I have been wanting from him, so buying 3 at once saves me on shipping. All told it was less than $80 so that's pretty good for 3 cameras and a light meter, I thought.
Kind of excited.
Do you think I got a good deal?

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »
If it works, certainly. And they are so good looking it would make a pretty bookend if need be. ;)

Industar lenses are good when they are good. I have a couple in Leica thread mount, and the machining is not on par with western lenses. Aperture stops are indistinct, they have rough edges, and feel loose. Mine also have ancient grease which needs warming up to work the focusing ring especially. Not exactly a cold weather lens as is, and to be honest sending out for a CLA (probably needed) will cost more than the worth of the lens. But optics are generally good, sometimes very good. They have a particular out of focus rendering common to many Russian lenses, which I like. It also vignettes a bit wide open, also a feature I find endearing - it helps the viewer to concentrate on the in focus subject in the image. Lets hope your example is of the good kind.

EDIT: Look here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/industar50-2/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:37:49 AM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2013, 05:56:18 AM »
Okay, I got my Exa 1b. I am pretty happy with it. It's good and clean and seems to be in good working order. I am going to put a roll through it today and tomorrow and see how they come out. I'd not seen this viewfinder that works as either a WLF or an eye level one before. I have only seen the ones where you have two separate pieces that swap out, so that was new.

We will see how it goes.

Here's a lazy phone picture -

I swear to god I was able to add pictures before. Oh well, you know what they look like, I guess.
Well, shoot, there it is after all. Geez!!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:02:10 AM by MitzyG »

Terry

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
Looks very nice Mitzy.  But wait...is that an Industar on the front there?   

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
The 1B can take M42 lenses. You can find a lot of nice lenses for very cheap. I highly recommend the Mamiya Sekor 2/50 and the Yashinon 2/50 as cheap easily available lenses that will work. There are also the Takumars and many others which are perfectly fine.

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
Thanks for that info! I will have a hunt around. I think this lens is pretty good, it looks good to me. Also, other than my Polaroid Land Camera (which I don't think had ever been used) this is the cleanest "old" camera I have ever seen!
Now that I figured out I was using view finder wrong, things look a lot clearer, lol. I found a translated manual, so I don't have to rely on just the pictures in the Russian one, that helps.

Did you have any sort of deadline in mind for submitting pictures? I will have some by the end of the month, hopefully.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
I will set the deadline next year. I wanted to give everybody plenty of time to find a camera, and to be able to shoot in whichever season they prefer if that is important to them. So no big hurry on this project.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
Thanks Flippy, it usually takes a roll or two for me to bond with the camera anyhow.

I find the WLF on smaller cameras difficult to focus with. But I have found that focusing wide open, and then stopping down works well (non auto lens), rather than focusing at the chosen aperture.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »

Yes, it's an Industar.
I am having some issues as the rewind knob doesn't work.  :'(

I am not sure what to do about it. I took the knob off and it's not rusty or dirty. The entire camera is really clean and everything else works like new. It worked, actually, until I tried to put a roll of film through it. I was having trouble getting the film to stay on the sprockets (I might have put it on the takeup spool wrong?) so I opened it up and sacrificed a roll trying to run it through with the back open and after a few inches, the takeup knob just got super tight and wouldn't wind anymore.

Not sure what to do. Suggestions?

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
Despite the recommendation to avoid, I've recently acquired an Exa IIb. Why? The shop from which I bought it had half a dozen or so Ib and IIb bodies with a selection of different lenses. As the shop wasn't exactly selling them by the dozen, I got to choose and pair the most functioning and cosmetically acceptable body and the clearest and most smoothly focusing lens. Incidentally, the lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f2.8 Tessar.

Paul - which shop?

Hi Nigel.

They don't accept credit or debit cards but, as they do have an eBay account, I suspect that they will do PayPal.

Nice bunch of guys - film nuts, of course. I'm in Manchester early September so, if you need me to pick anything up, just let me know.

I bought my Rolleiflex from the Real Camera Company, good bunch of guys, reasonable prices and they will accept paypal as that's how I paid.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
I'd be up for it, I don't have one but will buy one (I may get more than one and make a couple available to folk here if they need one).

I love a good project :D
verianthomas.com

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2013, 12:15:57 PM »
I might have solved my problem (no, I didn't stay up all night wrestling with a Russian. why do you ask? Oh, that smell, it's film emulsion). I don't think I was loading the film exactly right.
I either have it solved or have wasted another roll of cheap colored film.

Will keep you posted. (I will win!! I have not met a camera that can defeat me yet! Of course, I just received two medium formats so I may be braggin' when I shouldn't have. We will see.)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
I'd be up for it, I don't have one but will buy one (I may get more than one and make a couple available to folk here if they need one).

I love a good project :D
Just be careful you don't catch Exama

A friend of mine started out with Exas and Exactas. I think he has all the models, save one, now. It would seem to be infectious. The Exa is such a small and neat package, and with loads of accessories available, not to mention great lenses for a reasonable price, I can understand why.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
I just loaded mine with a roll of Fuji Superia 1600 for a local meetup tonight. But then I don't think I'll be able to get off of my lazy butt later on to actual go. Now I have one more camera sitting around loaded with film ... :D

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »
A couple of photos:

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »

Yes, it's an Industar.
I am having some issues as the rewind knob doesn't work.  :'(

I am not sure what to do about it. I took the knob off and it's not rusty or dirty. The entire camera is really clean and everything else works like new. It worked, actually, until I tried to put a roll of film through it. I was having trouble getting the film to stay on the sprockets (I might have put it on the takeup spool wrong?) so I opened it up and sacrificed a roll trying to run it through with the back open and after a few inches, the takeup knob just got super tight and wouldn't wind anymore.

Not sure what to do. Suggestions?

There is a manual for the 1b on the butkus site: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/exa/exa_ib/exa_ib.htm

If the rewind knob is binding don't be afraid to give it a small drop of oil.

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »
Looking forward to using this when it arrives.
verianthomas.com

MitzyG

• 35mm
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »
Noooooo!! I just dropped some color film off to be developed and the lab called to tell me that they couldn't process it because the sprokets were all chewed up and most of the shots were double exposures! Dang. Thought I had the problem licked.
Back to the drawing board, I guess. I am going to take the knob off and oil it and try loading it up again. Good thing I got some cheap and nasty film for Christmas, cause this is the second roll lost to this camera (think I will call it Jaws!)
I found the English manual, so thanks for making me look again, cause I only had the Russian one before. Wish me luck!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2013, 06:16:16 AM »
Good luck. I hope you solve it 

My first roll is done. I overcooked the development, but apart from that it would seem all is OK.

Birch on a cliff by Eirik0304, on Flickr

But I must admit, it is a bit of a pain with a manual stop down lens. Composing in poor light can be a bit of an ordeal. I will be on the lookout for a auto 35mm methinks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:19:33 AM by Ezzie »
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
Good luck. I hope you solve it 

My first roll is done. I overcooked the development, but apart from that it would seem all is OK.

Birch on a cliff by Eirik0304, on Flickr

But I must admit, it is a bit of a pain with a manual stop down lens. Composing in poor light can be a bit of an ordeal. I will be on the lookout for a auto 35mm methinks.

Are you using a preset lens or a fully manual one?

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
The old Tessar 50/2.8. All manual. I would very much like a preset one, but that will have to wait. I would also like a larger magnifier in the WLF. My only real gripe, apart from that I like the Exa quite a lot.
Eirik

B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »
Exa 1a has arrived, pdf of manual printed, going to try it out this weekend.
verianthomas.com