Author Topic: Last weekend of 21 - First weekend of 22  (Read 1362 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Last weekend of 21 - First weekend of 22
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:52:25 PM »
Wednesday this week was a nice day for shooting, so this is from my last trip this year.

Pentacon Six TL / MC Vega 28B 2.8/120 / Fomapan 400 in HC110
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
Re: Last weekend of 21 - First weekend of 22
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
I've ended the year by tearing into my CineStill C-41 kit to take my first leap into colour developing at home, with some encouragement from the results.

The first is from a roll of Kodak 200 (fresh) 42 minutes in the C-41 developer at 22c, and Blix for 12 minutes also at 22c.

The second is from a roll of CineStill 800T rated at 3200 for a try with a "bleach-bypass" method: C-41 developer for 65 minutes at 20c, skip the Blix step, then fixed in my B/W fixer for 12 minutes at 20c.

The final one is from one of Irv's expired Agfa Vista 100 films (expired June 2006) rated at 250 with the same "bleach-bypass" approach as above.

Thanks everyone for your kindness and encouragement over the year.

Have a good evening everyone, I'll see you in 2022!

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »
I've ended the year by tearing into my CineStill C-41 kit to take my first leap into colour developing at home, with some encouragement from the results.

Congratulations on making the leap to C-41!  I'm still sending my color film to the lab. 

These were shot with the Irv-> Becky -> Bryan Agfa Vista 100 on a qick trip to Guam the week before Christmas.  One thing I learned from this trip, don't take a quick trip to Guam the week before Christmas.  I had to do it for work but if I could have drove my truck there I would have just to avoid busy airports and crowded airplanes.  It took about 20 hours to get there and 20 hours to get home with just 3 days on the island.  I did manage to burn through a roll of film with my Olympus OM-1 in those 3 days.  The good news is this film can handle going through the X-ray machine 3 times. 

Frangipani Flowers by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

It was like a ghost town in the tourist areas.  The hotel was nearly empty and most of the tourist shops on Pale San Vitores Road were closed.
Pale San Vitores by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

This is work, so far this year they pulled 11 boats out of the Harbor of Refuge, this is the last one.  This is the biggest one and it's stuck in the muck on the bottom.  We're working with the U.S. EPA, Guam EPA, U.S. Navy, USACE and the Coast Guard on this project.  The Navy is supposed to come up with a new plan and pull this one out in January to finish the project.  The Harbor of Refuge is where people take their boats when a Typhoon is going to hit, it's the most protected harbor on the island.  That doesn't always work, that's why there were so many sunken boats there. 
Landing Craft Wreck by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
Thanks Bryan, much appreciated! I'm intending to continue supporting my local lab when I've multiple rolls, and continuing to learn at home with films they can't process, or where I'm experimenting. I have my retirement date through now (December 6th 2023!) so I'm gearing up my skills to ensure I've plenty to do  ;D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 11:37:18 PM »
Oh yeah, bleach bypass! I gotta do some more of that, great look 😁 I especially like the pushed Cinestill 👍🏾

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 02:48:15 AM »
Made a walk around the yard today trying to find what some crows and ravens were fussing about...I never figured it out, but it's usually directed toward a feral cat they don't like that hangs around.
Camera is a new to me Nikon N2000, with a 28mm lens that I had for my FE (which I seldom use).
I got the N2000 for cheap and since it auto advances, it's another good little knock about film wasting camera.
Arista 100 dunked in caffenol for 9 minutes. I normally develop for 8.5 minutes but got distracted, so went over a bit.
Anyway, the camera meters well and I like it for just a grab and go set up.

Luck was with me on getting the crows in the frame. They are very wary and camera shy.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 02:43:07 PM »
For some reason I discovered that all birds are camera shy.
We had a dove in the house for many years and she hated the camera. I think that they associate the lens with a huge eye. And a huge eye is always on a very big bird. Even after living with her for 15 years, I never managed to get a good picture. On every one of them she's in the attack position....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
I found a dozen or so 35mm colour films that I hadn't developed in amongst my camera cupboard so I bought some chemicals and done some souping
this roll was marked up as home made redscale but I think maybe hand rolled Vericolour

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 10:13:15 PM »

Congrats on stepping into C-41. It does open some creative doors.
These are expired Fujicolor F-500 Eterna Type 8572 shot at EI 50 and dev'd in DIY ECN2. I thought I was shooting Ektachrome Slide Dupe, hence the low iso rating. It still seemed to work out just fine. Film latitude FTW!!

F2-Eterna-002_sm by James Harr, on Flickr

F2-Eterna-027_sm by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 02:45:29 AM »
I had the opposite film latitude experience! I thought I was shooting Kodak Gold 400, which I love shooting at 1600. Turns out I was shooting Irv's generously donated Agfa 100. Processed normal C41 (pretty fresh chems), and tell me how on earth did these photos even come out??? 😂 The odd thing is that there is no blue anywhere to be seen, except for a whole lot of bromide-draggy stuff around the sprocket holes. No idea why that is, but I'm definitely going to shoot this 100 film at 1600 again 🤣

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 03:04:52 AM »
Wow! Great weekend stuff here y'all.
I'm encouraged even more by the fact the Agfa Vista from Irv can perform well under many situations.
Happy filmwasting in 2022!