Author Topic: New Leica/Instax Camera  (Read 8179 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: New Leica/Instax Camera
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:23 PM »
[whispering]... and I thought the wide Blad Lara bought you was for your birthday & Xmas present. Or was that lost in the roundings?

It was quite a surreal moment and I did actually try to remind her of the "birthday" present.  However, she was quite adamant in the shop and the salesperson had it in a bag and ready to go before I could raise any reasonable resistance..... :o  I'm looking at this as a long-term investment.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
Strangely enough, the least automatic of the Instax mini line might be the mini 8. If it wasn't for the automatic flash, you have full control over the aperture and the shutter speed is fixed at 1/60.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Well, at least Leica's entry into instant photography has inspired a lot of discussion. This announcement came as a shock to me and a few others I would think. Leica branded instant camera? Whats that about?

And whats next? A Leica branded pinhole camera? With 'Summahole' lenses? Would people pay $1,250 for a 35mm f180 Summahole precision pinhole lens? I mean, if they have the nerve to charge $2,500 for a f5.6 28mm while their two stops faster Elmarit 28mm f2.8 is sold for $2,300....... Sorry folks, I think they are nuts.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2016, 03:58:05 PM »
Well, at least Leica's entry into instant photography has inspired a lot of discussion. This announcement came as a shock to me and a few others I would think. Leica branded instant camera? Whats that about?

And whats next? A Leica branded pinhole camera? With 'Summahole' lenses? Would people pay $1,250 for a 35mm f180 Summahole precision pinhole lens? I mean, if they have the nerve to charge $2,500 for a f5.6 28mm while their two stops faster Elmarit 28mm f2.8 is sold for $2,300....... Sorry folks, I think they are nuts.

In the days when Leica was owned independently, I couldn't have ever envisaged them going down the instant route or, maybe, even the digital route.  However, I believe they are now owned by Hermes (fashion, etc) brands.  Therefore, much more likely to branch into the trendier end of things. 

Now, anyone who knows me, will confirm that I am definitely not hip or trendy - but I have always had a soft spot for the red dot. I don't disagree with your summation of their pricing strategy although I would argue, in their defence, that Leica has produced some of the best / most novel / innovative kit, as well as some of the most apparently overpriced. 

It's not Leica that's nuts anymore than Rolls Royce or any other luxury brand; it's the customers.  That said, we all march to a different beat and, while people can afford to indulge in these things, where's the harm?

"Summahole".....! I'm definitely going to use that  ::)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
"...-but I've always had a soft spot for the red dot."

Yeah, I know what you mean. For years I longed for a Leica M and decided to treat myself a couple of years before retirement. So I bought a M4-2 at a photo show. While very clean cosmetically the slow speeds dropped out about a month later. Since it was a private sale there was no recourse, ya pays your money and takes your chance. I had Youxin Ye sort it out for another $200 out of my pocket. Turns out I still like my OM-1 better, just not a RF sort of guy I guess. Keeping it though, not worth selling since the M sync terminal fell out last year. Not that I use flash bulbs, come to that I don't remember the last time I used flash at all. Speaking of the red dot, Kodak in the 1950's had a red dot with their name in it on some cameras.  Must have been where Leica got the idea.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2016, 09:23:02 PM »
I too seem to have a red dot fetish of some kind.
I have Leica pins, a Leica lens presentation block (the white box on which the dealers set the lenses to demo them in the counter), a box of Leica magazines, Leica stickers, grandpa's Leica 1C... and I would love to get a Focomat and other nice things from them.
One thing about them is they always made sure the stuff they were selling was top notch quality wise. You don't get anything that's rough on a Leica apart from their Vulcanite covering. And when you've played with Russian copies, you really get to appreciate the German engineering more.

BTW, for those who don't know, a lot of the Leica gear was made by Minolta at one point.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »

BTW, for those who don't know, a lot of the Leica gear was made by Minolta at one point.

But no Summicron, Summilux og Noctilux, No M2/3/4/6/7/MP. When it comes to proper Leicaphils, not much else counts  ;)
I`m happy to use my instax wide 210 on holidays and would probably be lusting after it if it came in a Leica version, with higher material and technical qualities. This post stamp size thing is not for me.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera