Author Topic: Photo Book Advice  (Read 3270 times)

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
Photo Book Advice
« on: December 05, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »
I am thinking of putting together a photo book as a christmas present for my parents and wondered if any of you could offer me advice on companies that you might have used - photobox, snapfish, blurb, kodak, etc - and any pitfalls that I might encounter.

thanks
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
Re: Photo Book Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »
Several friends have used Blurb and have been very happy with the results. The price seems right and I've seen the quality of the books--best of that list.

Overall, Asukabook seems to be the best quality for print on demand books, but they are the most expensive and they are no longer taking orders for Xmas.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 06:28:21 PM »
I looked at Asuka Books at the photo Expo (www.asukabooks.com), and theirs were definately the nicest/ best quality. But with the short turnaround time, you might have trouble for christmas (with anyone).

I suppose though, you could give a box with a single photo & card, with an explanation that their gift will be arriving later.

cpierce

• Chris Pierce Images
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:47:53 PM »
I have used My publisher  http://www.mypublisher.com/  good quality and seem to be quick turn around.  If you order  by Dec 14 they will get there for x-mas.    Once you order some you will get discount notices, typically 40% off $50.00 orders or above.

Chris Pierce

akikana

• 35mm
    • akikana.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »
-------------------------
www.akikana.com

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 11:22:45 PM »
Just did a Blurb book for a friend. Quality looked real nice and their software was easy to use.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
Next year, remind me to start a thread like this in September. My turnaround times are longer than the 3 weeks we have until Christmas. To put this in perspective I satarted working on a photo book of my own around a year before my daughter was born. She's now 2 and-a-half and we've since had a son born as well.....and I'm still nowhere near finishing my original book.

I truly pity whoever drew me in the print exchange.
 :D :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:54:48 PM by ed.wenn »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 01:48:08 PM »
I just got a blurb test print (single copy) and am pleased enough to order some more for Christmas.  A couple things about blurb that are good to know:  Though they don't make this at all clear, their 7"x7" books have lower quality printing than their regular larger books; and they trim a good 1/8" off each side even if you don't want full bleed -- and the Preview mode is what it would look like pre-trim, so you have to adjust your photo sizes and layout accordingly.

Shameless spam: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/133890