Author Topic: Polaroid 55: Great News!  (Read 1379 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Polaroid 55: Great News!
« on: December 03, 2007, 03:16:15 PM »
Hi All,

I just got off the phone with my favorite Polaroid customer service rep, at their headquarters in Massachusetts. I asked about the type 55 film.

She said it is NOT discontinued. I repeat: NOT! (We can all exhale now).

I asked about the availability numbers on the site, and she said she didn't know why they were there, but that they made no sense. That all those film are still in production (except for type 51). Type 59 (color) has been 'stickered', to warn that it will go out of production in about a year (though it will still be available for a while after that). But Fuji does make a 4x5 color film, so even though the loss of any Polaroid films is sad, it won't be as damaging to those who need it.

She also said that there's no garauntee that things won't change in the future, but as of now, there are NO plans to discontinue 55.

Considering that, with all the films they have discontinued, there has been a warning period of at least a year or two, we are safe for a while.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Polaroid 55: Great News!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
Thanks for the summary. While it's great news that 55 will continue to be made, the wider issues around which distributors in which countries will continue to take it are still of concern....but it's a sign of the times and I'm sure we're going to continue to see product line changing over the next few years.

I can't afford new 55 film anyway and have only ever bought expired stuff from evilBay, so my potential buying window is a little bit wider open than some people's will be.

Re the 5x4 colour film that Fuji makes; for those of you who don't know, it's worth pointing out that you'll need a different Polaroid back - not the 545 back that the Polaroid 5X sheet films require. I think the Fujifilm 5x4 uses a 550 style back. From memory it's pack film not sheet film, hence the difference. The good news though is that the 550 back comes with a dark slide so you can swap it in and out; unlike the smaller pack film used with Land cameras.

Still, an extra film back is a small price to pay, if you want to continue using instant colour 5x4 film. Not sure how the Fujifilm is with transfers etc. though; that may be a potential pitfall.

kuru

• camera addict
    • serpent factory
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »
Sad to hear about 59 going.
Kevin Pointer
serpent factory

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 09:59:23 PM »
Not sure how the Fujifilm is with transfers etc. though; that may be a potential pitfall.

I've heard mixed rumours/reports about this... Some people have claimed to have done it, but I've never seen any examples. Others will tell you there's absolutely no way to transfer the Fiju films. I believe it actually falls somewhere in between- that it is possible per se (warm water, different technique, etc.), but certainly not as easy and reliable as the Polaroid films.

Anyone come across (or tried personally) any Fuji transfers? I'd be interested to know for certain myself...

-Jason