Author Topic: Mamiya 6?  (Read 1725 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Mamiya 6?
« on: May 05, 2019, 04:26:12 AM »
Hi all,

Does anyone here have a Mamiya 6? And if so, do you recommend it? What should I look for when buying a used one?

Thanks!

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Re: Mamiya 6?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 08:07:08 AM »
Hi, I assume you are speaking about the new version with switchable lenses, not the older Ikonta like folder? I have a Mamiya 6 for some years now and love the camera. It is my goto medium format camera for travelling. I bought mine from an analogue photography forum and it came in the condition described. The rangefinder is supposedly quite low maintenance (compared to the Mamiya 7). I did not have any issues with mine. However, I find it very tricky with the long 150mm lens. Often I slightly miss focus wide open. I don’t think it is an issue with the calibration, but just with the lens being a bit on the long end pushing the capabilities of the rangefinder.
The finder itself is wonderfully clear and big. Even with glasses I don’t have any issues using the 50mm framelines.
I am not sure if I am qualified to give much of a buying guide. Few things that come to my mind:
- As it is an electronic camera, you should check all the electronics are working fine. This also probably the risky part when buying such a camera as it is getting more and more difficult to repair.
-   The Mamiya lenses sometimes tend to get a bit sticky over the years, so I would check the shutter speeds of the leaf shutter. One of my lenses I got from Japan (via ebay) felt a bit stiff on the focussing in the beginning. It is getting better with use.
-   Often the lenses come without the lens hoods. The lens hoods are included originally. So if you can get a lens with hood, this is a plus.
-   There is some debate of the MF version with additional 35mm frame lines vs the normal version. Some regard the MF version finder as a bit cluttered. I have the normal version, so I can’t speak to that.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
Hi, I had one for many years. Just sold it last week!

I loved the camera. After buying it with the 75mm lens I added the 50mm and sold the 75mm. I think the 50mm is fantastic. The 75mm was also nice but I was really just interested in a wide angle set-up. I never used the 150mm but have heard the same thing Manuel reports about difficulty focusing.

It's very versatile. Relatively light and compact with its collapsible lens, it was my mainstay travel camera. The collapsible lens / internal bellows mechanism works beautifully. Though its body covering is plastic, its build is rugged and substantial.

Like most rangefinders with a leaf shutter, it is free of vibration and nearly silent when pressing the shutter. But the Mamiya 6 is in a class of its own in this regard. I routinely shot hand-held at 1/8 sec, and have had good shots at 1/4 and 1/2 (the 50mm lens is not fast at f4, but the leaf shutter buys you a couple stops).

The controls are straightforward, though I found the exposure compensation dial a bit finicky to use, so generally compensated or bracketed by adjusting the shutter speed after getting the auto-exposure reading, which clearly displays the shutter speed in the viewfinder. I found the internal meter to be accurate and most often used the auto-exposure lock mode which allows a half-depression on the shutter button to lock exposure (e.g., pointing the camera down toward shaded parts of scene to not be thrown off by a bright sky).

I sometimes wished for a larger rangefinder patch but it's adequate. One issue to watch out for, but easy to resolve if it hasn't got to the point of no return, is the film advance lever getting loose and wobbly. There's a screw (reverse-thread as I recall) under the rubber cap on the advance lever that you can tighten with a very thin blade - I suppose there's a special tool for it but I used a paring knife. Anyway, something to be aware of in use. Apparently if it comes all the way off... well, don't let that happen.

All in all, I highly recommend it, especially with the 50mm wide angle lens. It's a joy to use and delivers great results.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:09:23 AM »
Hi, I assume you are speaking about the new version with switchable lenses, not the older Ikonta like folder?

Yes, the newer Mamiya MF (that offers the panorama option). I'm thinking I'd get it with the 75 (which is roughly equivalent to 50mm on a 35mm camera, right?) And then maybe get a 50 when the budget allows.

Years ago I had a Mamiya 645 whose lens ground to a halt in the middle of a wedding, so I'm a little leary of Mamiya generally, and these cameras are still going for quite a lot of money. I'm also trying to decide whether, if I move forward, to get oe from KEH or eBay. I'm leaning toward KEH.

Thank you!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
KEH is always a safer bet than eBay. At least you have somebody to get back to if the camera isn't up to snuff.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
I had one for a year or so after lusting for one for years.
It is a fantastic camera. Smallish for med format and easy to use and carry and a joy to use.

I got rid of it because it was too sharp of a shooter for my taste.
That probably sounds odd, but after using and loving a Holga and pinhole for years, it just wasn't a good fit for me.

KEH would be my first choice for buying one if I were shopping today.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:37:34 AM »
KEH would be my first choice for buying one if I were shopping today.

Yes, if I decide to go for it, KEH will be my choice as well.

Thanks!