Author Topic: Preserving liquid developer  (Read 1053 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Preserving liquid developer
« on: April 28, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »
What's that inert gas that people squirt into developer bottles to keep the developer from oxidizing? I just opened a brown glass bottle into which I had decanted some HC110 in September 2016 (I filled it all the way to the top, so it had minimal air), and it was still that beautiful pale yellow color of fresh HC110, and there was no gel at the bottom of the bottle which always happens with my partially-opened bottles (I didn't think that last part had to do with oxidation, but maybe it does?). Anyways, would love to keep that HC110 looking that pretty for another 3 years, so what gas do I squirt into it? I'd kinda prefer not to use the marble technique...

MrclSchprs

Re: Preserving liquid developer
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »
I use  lighter gas, a mixture of Butane and Propane. Tetanal's Protectant is more or less the same but more expensive. Do not use wine preserver as the carbon dioxide will alter the pH value of your developer.

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
Shoot more film and this problem goes away....  ;D
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
I use the air in a can.
But if it's HC-110 that hasn't been diluted, don't bother as it keeps virtually forever.
I'm currently using a bottle that Kodak said had expired in 2012 and it's just as good as the day I got it. But I don't let a drop of water get near the bottle as I know that would spell the end for the whole bottle.

Thing is, HC-110 isn't made using water at all. Instead, they use propylene glycol that they boil to remove all the air that could have got in it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:29:48 PM »
I use the air in a can.
But if it's HC-110 that hasn't been diluted, don't bother as it keeps virtually forever.
I'm currently using a bottle that Kodak said had expired in 2012 and it's just as good as the day I got it. But I don't let a drop of water get near the bottle as I know that would spell the end for the whole bottle.

Thing is, HC-110 isn't made using water at all. Instead, they use propylene glycol that they boil to remove all the air that could have got in it.

See, I know this is scientifically and technically correct, but I also get nervous because my past batches of HC110 stock started to turn orange over time and the bottom of the stock bottle started gelling up (I don't know if any of you has seen this phenomenon, but basically I am unable to use the last hundred or so mL's). If shooting in a bit of butane prevents this, then it is good for my psyche and removes a tiny bit of stress from my life and that is always a good thing :)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
I use  lighter gas, a mixture of Butane and Propane. Tetanal's Protectant is more or less the same but more expensive. Do not use wine preserver as the carbon dioxide will alter the pH value of your developer.

Thank you, that's right, I have heard of people shooting in lighter fluid. I'm going to try that ;)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:19:40 PM »
The trick to keeping hc110 good is to never ever shake or stir it.
I use a syringe pull out just what's needed.
Also, don't use lighter fluid! Use the gaseous stuff. You don't want your negs to spontaneously combust!
That's unless you want to start a new act and go by the name Ansel Hendrix  ;D
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 12:38:18 AM »
The trick to keeping hc110 good is to never ever shake or stir it.
I use a syringe pull out just what's needed.
Also, don't use lighter fluid! Use the gaseous stuff. You don't want your negs to spontaneously combust!
That's unless you want to start a new act and go by the name Ansel Hendrix  ;D

I thought the stuff you fill lighters with is liquid under pressure and then turns to gas when you squirt it out? You know what, I'll just buy a cheap lighter and squirt it out WITHOUT striking the flint ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »
Yep, it's a liquified gas.
I thought you wanted to use the stuff that takes off labels so well.
Francois