Author Topic: Konica II rangefinder  (Read 6294 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Konica II rangefinder
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:00:10 AM »
I got this Konica II fixed-lens rangefinder (from 1951-1955) for $50. Might be the best value camera purchase I've ever made. First thing, I think it's beautiful.

Nifty collapsible lens. By far, the clearest, brightest viewfinder and rangefinder patch I've ever experienced -- something the Konica II and Konica III rangefinders are known for. Only issues are it's a 50mm lens, which I've always found boring but I like this one. Feels a bit wider somehow. And there are no framelines in that super bright viewfinder. Based on test pics, it seems there is a moderate area extending around from the true image frame, basically what you'd expect based on most other rangefinders. Just need to remember that and allow for the crop.

I figured out what I was doing wrong that prevented the shutter speed to be set to 1/500. I was trying to change the shutter speed after cocking the shutter. If I set the shutter speed before cocking the shutter, it does a soft click into 1/500 and fires. It appears I didn't damage anything by trying to adjust the shutter speed after cocking! Based on test pics, the speeds seem accurate throughout the range.

The lens seems very nice. It's easy to shoot -- small, compact (but quite hefty) -- silent leaf shutter, inconspicuous. The rangefinder patch is so good I don't even need to wear my glasses to focus. All in all, I'm quite happy with it.

Sample pics (Kodak Gold 200):

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:13:33 PM by hookstrapped »

cs1

• Self-Coat
Re: Konica II rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:38:18 PM »
That is a stunning looking camera, I have to say. As I said before, I have a weak spot for Konicas. I just augmented my Konica collection to C35 AF2, EF3, EF and EFP (in that order; the latter two came together). Such lovely cameras. But compared to your Konica II they lack the classy look.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:04:16 AM »
Some more (Portra 160). Very nice and easy to use on the street. Except when I forget to cock the shutter. But I'm learning!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:03:10 AM by hookstrapped »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »
Also, an easily adjustable rangefinder if it gets out of whack

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=8655.msg132186#msg132186

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »
Nice one. It looks pretty crisp.
They have quite a price over here as they don't come up very often. 
You know you can get plug/PC sync adaptor for the flash.