Author Topic: Zeiss Jena 58mm / Meyer Optik 30mm / Pentax SV  (Read 5499 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Zeiss Jena 58mm / Meyer Optik 30mm / Pentax SV
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
So this casualphotophile site I recently discovered has been greatly entertaining and illuminating but has also led to $wasting on the path to more filmwasting. First I read about the Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm lens, then needing an M42 mount camera to stick it on, I read about the Pentax SV (last all manual model before the Spotmatic). So here they are, together at last.

And here are a few test shots, all shot wide open at f2 (Portra 400).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:36:21 AM by hookstrapped »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Zeiss Jena 58mm / Pentax SV
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
That's a smart-looking combo you have there.  I had the same body once upon a time but I'm not familiar with the lens. The second shot certainly shows it's capable of nice results and the bokeh in the last shot looks impressive - at least to my eyes  8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
That's quite an impressive performer there. The bokeh on the last shot is pretty nice. So nice it made me dizzy for a bit last night. Could have been the 5th glass of J&B I had, but impressive nonetheless.
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 12:13:02 AM »
Nice, there are some interesting M42 lenses that you can get really cheap.  I have an M42 Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8 in M42 mount.  I also have a Pentax H3v that looks almost identical to your SV.  I'm sure there's some very small difference. 

Pentax H3v by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
Hi Bryan -- the H3v is identical to the SV, but for the US market. Yup, there's a big wide world of lenses in M42 mount. Jonesing for a Pentax Auto Takumar 85mm 1.8... must resist.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 01:30:50 AM »
Hi Bryan -- the H3v is identical to the SV, but for the US market. Yup, there's a big wide world of lenses in M42 mount. Jonesing for a Pentax Auto Takumar 85mm 1.8... must resist.

Mine has one difference, the shutter is screwed up.  I have other M42 bodies so it’s not a priority.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 01:17:01 AM »
some more shallow DOF tests -- I think these were at f2.8. A little swirl on the first one (not sure what I think of that)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:47:30 PM by hookstrapped »

EarlJam

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
My local shop has a nice-looking Super Takumar 35mm f3.5 in its used case. I can inquire about price if you're interested in a wide angle.

I'll keep my eyes open for an 85mm f1.8 as well. (I just picked up an 85/f2 K-mount for my MX. I've had a 100mm/f2.8 for years, but a slightly faster, slightly shorter tele seemed intriguing . . .)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
Thanks, but I just bought a Meyer-Optik / Pentacon Lydith 3.5/30mm -- staying with the East German lenses for now. I actually have a reason beyond the common national origin. From what I've read and the samples I've seen, it seems very similar in character (contrast, bokeh rendering) to the Zeiss Jena 58mm. I'm hoping to be able to maintain a constant vibe on a project using the two lenses.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
Re: Zeiss Jena 58mm / Meyer Optik 30mm / Pentax SV
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »
A couple more with the 58mm

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:45:23 AM by hookstrapped »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »
And some with the 30mm. I like this 30. I've always liked 28mm lenses but this seems more normal (less distortion) while still bringing in a fairly wide view.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:38:18 AM by hookstrapped »

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:36 AM »
I love the Meyer/Pentaon 3.5/30, extremely underrated lens.

I've never been a big fan of the Biotar, despite its reputation. I much prefer the Pancolar 2/50 that replaced it.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 04:18:01 AM »
I have a sneaking suspicion at the back of my mind that some of these "non-standard" maximum apertures and focal lengths were the product of engineers designing a lens that functioned and looked the way they wanted it to, and then measuring it afterwards and realizing it was actually 30mm, or f/3.2, or whatever. Which would explain why these lenses are really good because they were built for quality, as opposed to "we're gonna build a 28mm lens because that's a popular length and we'll make any compromises along the way as long as we can market it as a 28".

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
Early wide angle lenses are interesting because there was a race to see who could make the widest angle lenses, and every millimeter wider was something to shout about in the early 1960s. 35mm was a nice goal because it makes mathematical sense as a step up from 50mm (in terms of angle of view). Rodenstock was another 30mm. Then you have 25, 24, 23, 21mm etc. Each for a short time being the widest available. The Meyer/Pentacon 30mm continued being made for a long time though, I suspect, because it slotted in nicely between lenses in Zeiss's line up (these were DDR companies, there was no reason to produce products that competed head to head).

Strangely, Pentacon did develop a 2.8/29mm lens to replace it. But the 30mm continued on as low priced option, without automatic diaphragm, for years and years. And that's a good thing because the 30mm performs so much better than the faster, wider, 29 that was supposed to take its place.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
I like the the fact that the Meyer / Pentacon 30mm focuses quite close (0.3 meters) and has a nice smooth round bokeh. I have the 10-blade version (later Pentacons have 6-blades) and from pics I've seen it produces nice 10-point stars around point light sources at night, though I haven't tried that yet. And it cost only $50.

It's not super sharp or super-contrasty -- pretty neutral in that sense, but I like the look.

cs1

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 07:34:57 PM »
That guy in the second shot seems to be roaming around the city all of the time. He's in so many shots, it's incredible. ;)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 12:59:50 AM »
If I may post a photo, I've always been impressed with the sharpness of the Pentacon one I have (I do have a Meyer one too, but it's not in nice shape).

Peugeot by Berang Berang, on Flickr

It is a little soft in the corners, and wide open, but not any worse than anything else that was designed at the same time - and it is remarkably free from chromatic aberration and distortion for an early wide.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 01:26:14 AM »
Of course!

I've seen some nice uses of it as a portrait lens, particularly with the subject at the center and a non-busy fairly uniform background. I think it's quite versatile. Again I don't know if it's my closed mindedness or if there's something different about it from the 28mm lenses I've used, but I never thought to use a 28mm in that way.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 01:12:57 AM »
That guy in the second shot seems to be roaming around the city all of the time. He's in so many shots, it's incredible. ;)

It's all about right place/right time  ;D

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »
Seeing that I have more than one M42 lens, it seems I needed more than one M42 body, so I picked up a Pentax S1a for $20. It's just like the SV, but an economy version without the self-timer (and a cheaper kit lens BITD) and tops out at 1/500 sec -- though it has another click that is ostensibly 1/1000. Unfortunately, I didn't have a fast enough lens or film to test that out when I went to test the camera with the 30mm Meyer Optik with Kodak Gold 200.

It might be my imagination but it seems to me that the S1a has less mirror slap than the SV, at least with the examples I own, allowing me to do 1/4 sec handheld (second pic).

I'm finding this lens quite contrasty -- in both a good and bad way. I think it shines in low contrast lighting, bringing out colors very nicely, but I'm finding it a bit hard to handle in higher contrast scenes (losing detail in highlights). In comments and reviews online it's not noted for especially great contrast so I'll try with other films and see.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:49:33 AM by hookstrapped »