Author Topic: The Genius of Photography - plus documentary on James Ravilious  (Read 3135 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
The Genius of Photography - plus documentary on James Ravilious
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:33:33 PM »
I know you all have your alarms set to remind you about The Genius of Photography tonight, but you might also like to know that the episode will be followed by a documentary on James Ravilious, narrated by Alan Bennett.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: The Genius of Photography - plus documentary on James Ravilious
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »
A timely reminder. Just got time to mke wor tea.
 :)

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:52:43 AM »
"Exhausted Renegade Elephant!"  Ah ha, at last I get it!!  :D

I really enjoyed the James Ravilious doc, a real bonus that one.  I grew up witnessing the very last dying embers of rural life decay in my own family, it's spurred me on to sort out scanning some old family negs.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:24:12 AM »
thanks. James Ravilious took some gorgeous photos and it was interesting to see how he got old low contrast lenses to make such lovely images.

I thought last night's Genius of Photography was the best of an already exellent series. The Eggleston being interviewed part was hilarious and I like the fact that the programme makers allow photographers to do much of the talking (Eggleston excepted).
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »
Gosh, I am really looking forward to seeing the dvd of the series drop through the door! Just as well it hadn't been on the way this week - the island's sorting office burnt down!

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
Glad I wasn't the only one, for whom the penny dropped re: Exhausted Renegade Elephant - I always thought it was the name of a punk band  :-[

Great show last night, I missed the two before. Andrea, is it on sale as a DVD set already because I'm going to get it if it is.

Janet

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:58:16 PM »
Couldn't agree more about it being the best of the bunch so far. I loved it. With the odd exception there was no over analysis and it was indeed good to have the photographers centre-stage and talking about themselves and their work for once. I'm assuming that this is because it's the first show in the series where most of the protagonists are actually still alive  :) and if so it augers well for the rest.

Due to my background in music Eggleston is very much my man* so obviously I was chuffed to see him being the Charles Bukowski/William Burroughs of photography in front of a load of bemused French people. I was gigling uncontrollably on the sofa and urging him on to greater depths of inpenetrability. Jim Green was telling me that there's a great documentary about Eggleston available on DVD. I'll have to track it down.

Was appalled to see Martin Parr rocking a digital camera, but then he is Martin Parr so who am I to even mention it (other than a film camera bigot obviously  ;)).

The english guy, Ray-Smith, that they mentioned was new to me and I liked what i saw. Will add him to the list. Very cool.

The James Ravilious documentary that followed great. I know a little of his work because of my frequent visits to Cornwall. The guy down there who frames all of my photographs has quite a collection of Ravilious postcards for sale as well as a few stories. It was wonderful seeing a full programme dedicated to his life and work and absolutely fascinating that they brought his human subjects to life by interviewing so many of them. They did the same thing with the locations too where possible. Engrossing.

A few weeks ago the Genius Of Photography episode was followed by another wonderful documentary about a British photographer. Narrated by John Peel (RIP) Chambre Hardman and the Lost City of Liverpool was a programme I'd seen before, but it worked the 2nd time around too. Here's a link to an online gallery of hardman's stuff>

It's excellent to see so much good quality, photography-related programming on the Beeb.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:07:35 PM »
"Exhausted Renegade Elephant!"  Ah ha, at last I get it!!  :D

Whoops. Fogot to comment on this bit. For those who don't understand the context, my photo blog is called Exhausted Renegade Elephant and was named after a great photo by Joel Sternfeld.

Al/Janet, I thought there would be the odd "Gotcha!" coming my way as soon as Sternfeld appeared on the show. It was great to see him featured, but I couldn't beleive they highlighted the elephant snap above the pumpkin one. Made me smile though.

Go here for an excellent online gallery of Sternfeld's work.

Here's "Exhausted Renegade Elephant":

...and here's another excellent Sternfeld moment, "McLean, Virginia, December 1978". You maybe can't see it due to the small size of the photo, but there's a firefighter buying pumpkins from the stall holder while a fire rages in the background.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:09:41 PM by ed.wenn »

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »
The english guy, Ray-Smith, that they mentioned was new to me and I liked what i saw. Will add him to the list. Very cool.

There was a really good retrospective of his work at the NMPFT in Bradford a few years ago, not a huge show as he died rather young.  The book that accompanied the show is great, and well worth checking out (ISBN 0-9542813-9-X).

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 06:12:04 PM »

I haven't seen the programme yet, so I couldn't be sure, but I think you might mean Tony Ray-Jones? If so, yes, he was a superb photographer who died far too young.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 01:08:55 AM »

I haven't seen the programme yet, so I couldn't be sure, but I think you might mean Tony Ray-Jones? If so, yes, he was a superb photographer who died far too young.

Erm, yeah. That's him. Sorry, Tony.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
I just saw on the TV schedule that, here in the US, this documentary series (3 parts) is going to be on the Ovation channel tomorrow night, November 19.

And there is a different photography documentary on tonight.