Author Topic: Guardian guide to photography  (Read 4300 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Guardian guide to photography
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »
Just to let any Brit Filmwasters know - tomorrow's edition of The Guardian features a 100-page guide to photography.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Re: Guardian guide to photography
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
It's as yet unknown whether it features any photographs of statues or dinosaurs. Or badgers.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »
There'll be how to's by Jane Brown (well known for her badger portraits) and Anton Corbijn, the famous dinsaur photographer.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:50:12 PM »
Personally I'll be appalled if the guide isn't entirely dedicated to three things:

• Statues
  • Dinosaurs
  • Badgers

A supplement like this has to be on the cutting edge if it's to be relevant for more than 5 minutes in the fast-moving and hi-tech world of today. Today in UK photography no other 3 things ooze 'relevance' and 'cutting edge' more than badgers, dinosaurs and statues. Furthermore, after talking to Don Brice via Skype just the other night, it would seem that the Australian photo scene is also aware of the popular groundswell of interest surrounding dinosaurs and statues, if not yet badgers...but give them time.

....on a more serious note, will it be digital-centric or cool and old school?

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »
....on a more serious note, will it be digital-centric or cool and old school?

Refreshingly, it appears that it might be concentrating on pictures rather than technology:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandhealth/gallery/2007/oct/26/photography?picture=331074171

Curious as to why it's being featured in the 'life and health' section of the site. Not sure that 'health' and 'selenium fumes' really go together like peaches and cream.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 03:01:29 PM »
I doubt there'd be any badgers.  I've seen all three of them dead at the side of the road in the past week ... the Welsh badgers anyway.

:P

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:16:11 PM »
Must pop into Stornoway and get my copy! No papers in the village as the ferry gets in too late. Can't miss the Dino edition!
BTW; loads of flattened hedgehogs up here. They are trying to get rid of them as they eat ground nesting dinosaur eggs - so the locals [always blame the natives] happily flatten them if they venture roadwards :-(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 03:20:02 PM by Andrea »

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »
Man!  This sounds decked out!!
How do I get my hands on a copy?
Anyone willing to send me one?
I'll spring for the fee and fare to me.  :) :) :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:23:36 PM »
For some odd reason, I know a guy who was an animal control inspector for one summer... and somehow he managed to pass it on as work training for 3 credits at university... he was very happy to tell me how lucky he was to have a truck and 2 shovels :)
He had found them at deep in the municipal garage. The guy who did the job before him apparently didn't have such a luxury :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:27:27 AM »
For some odd reason, I know a guy who was an animal control inspector for one summer... and somehow he managed to pass it on as work training for 3 credits at university... he was very happy to tell me how lucky he was to have a truck and 2 shovels :)
He had found them at deep in the municipal garage. The guy who did the job before him apparently didn't have such a luxury :)

sorry Francois - not catching your drift ...?  Sleep-typing perhaps?
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »
Related to:
I doubt there'd be any badgers.  I've seen all three of them dead at the side of the road in the past week ... the Welsh badgers anyway.

wow, I must have been more tired than I thought :)

I think badgers are related to groundhogs and marmots...
Francois

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »
Flippin heck! Our Guardian came without photo guide. Will phone them!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
Related to:

wow, I must have been more tired than I thought :)

I think badgers are related to groundhogs and marmots...

Groundhogs and marmots achieved self-actualisation as rodents some 75 million years ago.   Therefore badgers are more closely related to dinosaurs.  ;)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:16:53 AM »
Flippin heck! Our Guardian came without photo guide. Will phone them!

you're not the only one Andrea - we gave Canterbury M&S hell when we got home and there was no guide inside.  they've promised to post one to us, but I'm not holding my breath
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 09:18:41 AM »
Groundhogs and marmots achieved self-actualisation as rodents some 75 million years ago.   Therefore badgers are more closely related to dinosaurs.  ;)

wow - I didn't know fauna was aware of Maslow's hierarchy of needs 75 million years ago!

you learn something new everyday  ;D
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 11:16:05 AM »
Re the Guardian guide supplement; I went and bought a paper especially and while it was probably worth it, I wouldn't lose any sleep over not getting one. It's a pretty thin booklet with a paper sleeve and there's a fair amount of digital stuff in it. Regarding the rest of the conetnt; I don't think there will be much in there that most people on this forum don't already know. BUT, it's good to see something this high profile about photography dropping through the doors of a few hundred thousand households across the world.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 09:18:01 PM »
BUT, it's good to see something this high profile about photography dropping through the doors of a few hundred thousand households across the world.
Hoping they don't all put it in the recycle bin. I know tons of people who take the most awful pictures (digital or not). I even know some who still manage to cut heads in a non artistic fashion with digital preview... hope they learn something from the supplement :)
Francois