Author Topic: A Question for the Makers, Fixers and Tinkerers  (Read 1196 times)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
A Question for the Makers, Fixers and Tinkerers
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »
I've been enjoying the "I Just Made/Fixed" thread and, as I am largely inexperienced with making/fixing, what tools do you find helpful/indispensable for fixing cameras? Or for building camera related gear for that matter?

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: A Question for the Makers, Fixers and Tinkerers
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
Jewelers tools like small screw drivers, pliers, tweezers, wrenches etc.  Get a good spanner wrench, the cheap ones are junk.   I also have some surgical tools like forceps for holding on to small parts.  I use lithium grease (mostly on old projectors and movie cameras), sewing machine oil, Ronsonol lighter fluid, isopropyl alcohol and locksmith type graphite for lubricating.  I use a very fine artists paint brush to apply grease without getting it everywhere.  Cotton swabs come in very handy as well.  Also work on a towel to keep parts from bouncing off into oblivion. 

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 09:06:27 PM »
Bryan's is a pretty good list. I would include a good pair of magnifiers for those of us with less than stellar vision. I often find myself wishing I had one of those soldering armatures with the little alligator clips to hold things, a good light and a magnifying glass.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
And for building, I find a dremel tool with the drill press attachment to be almost indispensable. I use it mostly not as a drill press but as a makeshift vertical milling machine. As for other things, drill and bits, a step drill to make clean holes in plastic and metal.
I also recommend a good caliper. Mine is not of the great variety but it still serves me well since it's got a precise dial indicator.

5 minute epoxy, cyanoacrylate glue with some de-bonder in case you make a mistake with it. I think I'll add some instant glue kicker to my kit.
I also use from time to time some JB weld. Felt and craft foam to block off light. Flat black spray paint.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 10:46:25 PM »
There are loads of tools I wish I had, but the vice, wood saws, hacksaws, hammers, files and drills, and lots of wet and dry grit paper get regular use.  ;)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »
Nice! Will you be shooting film, paper negs or some of each?

Adam, I am going out on a limb and assuming that you meant this to be on the Made/Fixed thread regarding my pinhole camera. I will be shooting both paper and film negatives, mostly x-ray film since that is the only 8x10 I can afford.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
Nice! Will you be shooting film, paper negs or some of each?

Adam, I am going out on a limb and assuming that you meant this to be on the Made/Fixed thread regarding my pinhole camera. I will be shooting both paper and film negatives, mostly x-ray film since that is the only 8x10 I can afford.

Guilty! Not sure how I made that goof. I deleted the original and then saw you had replied. Have fun with it!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 02:47:08 PM »
Not too much to add here, but two lubricants I favor are CLP, which is a liquid lube intended for firearms but does a really good job on clockwork mechanisms like leaf shutters, and molybdenum grease, which is commonly used in automotive CV joints, is far superior to any other grease I've tried on sliding surfaces.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/