Author Topic: The first "colour" photos of England  (Read 1490 times)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
The first "colour" photos of England
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:25:49 PM »
Taken in the 1890's, these are apparently colourised B&W photos. I don't know if that counts, strictly speaking, but the Telegraph seems to think so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/articles/the-first-colour-photographs-of-england/

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: The first "colour" photos of England
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »
Fantastic - and I though England was in Black and White in those days!

I got 19 our of 28 on a quick run through - which shows that although some towns have changed a lot, some of the more iconic views have not.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Domingo A. Siliceo

• Personal blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:43 AM »
I enjoyed the link a lot. Thanks for sharing.

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »
While I am not fan of alternative processes, I recognise that in this case it changes cold b&w days into sunny coloured days :)

I do not know why, but I always picture these times as calm and quiet, without the  disturbing cars and roads noise. And in fact, the most obvious change is nowadays asphalt roads, cars everywhere and then people clothing...

You might think I am very old but I am not!!! :)

Thanks for sharing.
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »
Fantastic - and I though England was in Black and White in those days!

I got 19 our of 28 on a quick run through - which shows that although some towns have changed a lot, some of the more iconic views have not.

Paul - only the North was black and white. :o  The Home Counties have always been in colour ;)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:03:58 AM »
While I am not fan of alternative processes, I recognise that in this case it changes cold b&w days into sunny coloured days :)

Really? All of them? Why?

To be honest, I never really thought of hand colouring b/w photos as being an alt process anyway.

I always picture these times as calm and quiet, without the  disturbing cars and roads noise. And in fact, the most obvious change is nowadays asphalt roads, cars everywhere

Actually, that may not be the case for the big Western cities in the 19th Century. I read about a study of what noise levels would have been like in London in the 1800's and it seems it would have been way louder than it is today. Back then there was a lot of industry in central London which would have made a load of noise and the horses would make more noise on the roads than cars.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 05:42:02 AM »
Horses don't have horns though ;) Well, the non-unicorn horses don't have horns, anyways  ???

MacArron

• Wasting film...
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »

Really? All of them? Why?

Well, I can't say. It is what I see and what I feel as I view them.

To be honest, I never really thought of hand colouring b/w photos as being an alt process anyway.

You're right. Not alternative process as the meaning found in the dictionary. But it is not the original shot obtained straight after development. Call it whatever you wish. FYI I prefer untouched photos. That is what I meant.

I always picture these times as calm and quiet, without the  disturbing cars and roads noise. And in fact, the most obvious change is nowadays asphalt roads, cars everywhere

Actually, that may not be the case for the big Western cities in the 19th Century. I read about a study of what noise levels would have been like in London in the 1800's and it seems it would have been way louder than it is today. Back then there was a lot of industry in central London which would have made a load of noise and the horses would make more noise on the roads than cars.

You may be right, though I still believe the scenarios shown were quieter :)

Regards,
Cameras to enjoy (I use them all):
Contax 139Q/Contax RX/Exa 1b/Exa 1c/Kowa Six