Author Topic: Urban's big haul  (Read 4182 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Urban's big haul
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
At the end of the year the father of the girlfriend of an ex-colleague of mine died. He was an avid film photographer. As no one in the family was interested in all this stuff they asked me if I wanted to take a look. Of course I said yes! So I went there a week or so ago after work to have a look and to see if it was worth going back. I was there by train so I only took the film.

Free film by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Yesterday me and my wife left the kids at the grandparents, removed the kids seats from our Renault Kangoo and went there. I thought I'd be done within an hour, but as you can imagine it took a bit longer.

Darkroom haul by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

The crown jewel is this almost mint Bronica SQ-Ai kit, with 65mm, 110mm, and 150mm lenses, 2 backs, Polariod back, WLF, and metered prism. The only thing missing from a full kit is the speed grip. ;)

Bronica SQ-Ai kit by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

I put everything darkroom related into my darkroom. I now have a hard time entering, what with all the paper, chemicals, trays, Durst 607, drying press, and paper cutter. I will have to sort through all this stuff in the coming weeks.

Messy darkroom by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

The studio flashes, Metz flashes (probably from the SQ-Ai), umbrellas, tripod, and the other cameras are now in my home office. I will have to sort through that stuff eventually as well. I did however use that Canon EF 100-300mm today on our trip to the zoo.

Canon EF 100-300mm by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

And the price you might ask for all these things? NOTHING! FREE!

I will update this thread with more pictures of all the other things, but I just wanted to share this with all of you.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Re: Urban's big haul
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
That's a generous gift for sure! And we all get to benefit by seeing the good work you do with it.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Terry

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »
Well done--what a superb gift!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
So does that mean you won't be needing this any more.  Like, free to a good home?   :)  ;)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
Wow you did well Urban there is nothing to beat being in the right place at the right time!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Well, that means you'll need to build shelving for that stuff now!

And believe me, that Durst is a lot better than your juice can contraption!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 10:13:58 PM »
Nice to see that it goes back into active use by someone who appreciates it.
Must have been a quit special feeling "discovering" the content, congrats with the gift!
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
Thanks everyone! And yes Sandeha, for the right price I'm willing to let go of my work of art. ;D And yes, Aksel discovering all that stuff was quite exciting. Especially the more or less mit Bronica!

Anyway, I'm working from home today and decided to clean up the darkroom so that I can enter it again. It wasn't as much work as I had feared:

Cleaned up the darkroom by Urban Hafner, on Flickr

Now I just need to figure out how to use the Durst M605. I already printed the manual and hopefully one of these days I'll get around to replacing the lamp.

So, do I now use the color head on the Durst instead of the Ilford contrast filters or is it easier to stick to the filters?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
Well, they both have pros and cons.
On one hand, using the color filters in the enlarger is easy... But it makes exposure a bit more complicated. You need to look in the instructions and find the table where filter compensation is listed. Then you look in the ilford paperwork and find the correct filtration needed for each grade and the corresponding paper sensitivity. I use both to make c compensation table in excel that I printed and put under the baseboard. So when I use my color head, I know it exposes at grade 2. When I need a different grade, I just pop out the sheet, dial in the filter and roughly apply the multiplication factor to the exposure time.

But for the mg filters, things are a bit easier. I keep the grade 2 filter in the enlarger all the time. If I want to change grade, I just have to change the filter in the tray without having to recalculate exposure (except for high contrast grades).

So as you can see, both are easy and hard.
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
Thanks François. I'll see if I can figure out the conversions. The manual lists Kodak and Agfa grades or something along those lines. I've also seen exposure factors in there somewhere. I'll need to actually read the manual one of these days. I need to put in s light bulb and check that it's working first anyway.

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 04:51:13 PM »
I don´t have envy in me, but your gift has me borderlining ;)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
I still can't quite believe it myself. I now own four light meters, 4 Canon EOS bodies, enough flashes to light up a whole cathedral, and of course that beautiful enlarger & Bronica.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 05:25:11 PM »
You want a speed grip? I got one that came with my SQ-A and I'll never use it. Its in great shape. Hardly used I bet. Whats a fair price for you? You know, other than free haha.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
I don't know. I'm a bit spoiled with all that free stuff. :P To be honest I haven't even checked what a fair price would be. How about you send me an email to info@urbanhafnerphoto.com so that we can discuss this?

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
According to the Ilford documentation it seems that when using both yellow and magenta to control the contrast it's not even necessary to adjust the exposure times.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »
Check in the Durst paperwork, I doubt this will be the case!

What's the top filtration number the enlarger goes to?
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:28 PM »
The M605 goes up to 130. Which is mentioned in the Ilford PDF. But I guess it's also true that they don't explicitly say that you don't have to adjust the exposure. Only that you have to adjust it less than when using only one color.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
OK, I just found my Ilford paperwork.
MultiGrade IV paper has a sensitivity of 500 ISO(P) on all grades except if you use a filter set.
If you use gel filters, ISO is at 200 from grade 00 to 3. Then it drops to 100 from 4 and 5.
You can use single filter or dual filter filtration when using a color head (I didn't know about that last one). They say that the dual filter option keeps exposure times more steady, but so far I don't care about adjusting the time.
For single filter work on the Durst, here's the filtration
Grade - Filter
00 - 120Y
0 - 70Y
½ - 50Y
1 - 40Y
1½ - 25Y
2 - 0
2½ - 10M
3 - 30M
3½ - 50M
4 - 75M
4½ - 120M
5 - 130M

From there you can get the multiplication factor needed.

Or if you prefer multiple filters
Grade - Filter
00 - 120Y
0 - 88Y+6M
½ - 78Y+8M
1 - 64Y+12M
1½ - 53Y+17M
2 - 45Y+24M
2½ - 35Y+31M
3 - 24Y+42M
3½ - 17Y+53M
4 - 10Y+69M
4½ - 6Y+89M
5 - 0Y+130M
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 07:01:58 AM »
Thanks François. I got as far as those filtration values. After all they're from the PDF I linked. ;) So what you're saying is that my enlarger manual should contain a table that tells me how the exposure changes when I change the filtration?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Yes, it should be somewhere in there. If it isn't, it could mean that their filter system contains a ND filter to make exposures constant. I know its not the case with my enlarger.

Mine uses two vertical sliders for yellow and magenta. The cyan channel uses the filter holder.
When I look inside the head, the filters are in a scissor arrangement that closes down in proportion to the filter that's dialed.
Other enlargers use rotary dials that turn disks inside the head. I know Phillips even made some that used a set of dimmers and custom light bulbs that had a permanent cmy filters on them...
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
I did check it out and on page 16 of the manual you will find the compensation table.

So your compensation chart will look like this
00 - 120Y - 1.21
0 - 70Y - 1.18
½ - 50Y - 1.15
1 - 40Y - 1.13
1½ - 25Y - 1.10
2 - 0 - 1.0
2½ - 10M - 1.15
3 - 30M - 1.36
3½ - 50M - 1.52
4 - 75M - 1.71
4½ - 120M - 1.98
5 - 130M - 2.04

You can put it in Excel to make it look nice.
When you're looking to change grades, just look-up the grade you want and multiply the exposure time by the factor listed, turn the dial to the correct value and Bob's your uncle :)
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
Thanks again. I looked it up and it's easy enough to calculate even when using magenta and yellow together. Now I really need to install the new lamp and test the enlarger. I really hope it's actually working.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 10:30:12 PM »
OK, so I installed the lamp and nothing is happening. :-[ I will have to figure out where the problem lies one of these days. I mean, I can't even be sure about the lamp as it came with the enlarger (just wasn't installed).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 11:01:56 PM »
Does this one use a transformer?
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 11:05:36 PM »
Yes, it does. And I checked the fuse. It's blown. So I guess that will be the first thing to try.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
I know that sometimes fuses blow for no obvious reasons. Just make sure you get the right kind. Some are slow-blow and some are instant... Also get the correct amperage, we don't want to start any fire.
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
The enlarger came with a blown out halogen lamp and a new one. I assume the fuse blew when the lamp blew. Does that make sense?

Oh, and I had a close look at the fuse before I ordered new ones. I think I got the right ones. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »
Personally, I doubt it since a halogen lamp will act like a fuse if there is too much voltage coming through.
I also know that you can't test a halogen lamp transformer with a multimeter, it really needs that filament to work...
My guess is that the transformer will probably be an ac-ac model that brings the 220 down to 12 volts, regular stuff like the ones you can find at a hardware store.

Let me know when the parts arrive, I'm curious to see if it will work.
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »
I'm late to the party, but man, did you ever hit the jackpot!

Happy for you and will be following along with how it all goes.

Congrats!    8)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »
Thank you so much Becky! I still have a lot of gear to sort through. Some works and some doesn't (e.g. the Gossen Spot-Master seems to be broken) but hey it was free so I'm not complaining. ;D

And an update on the enlarger: I just put in the lamp and a new fuse and it works! And the timer works as well. Now I just need to SIRIOPLA and I can enlarge medium format as well. :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2016, 08:14:14 PM »
Fantastic news!
Francois