To obtain some kind of exposure, processing be damned
1 (4.5%)
To set fire to fiddly little negs before I have to scan them
0 (0%)
To correct the questioner and state authoritatively that it's 135 film
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 30, 2016, 11:49:18 PM

Author Topic: Metal or plastic?  (Read 2780 times)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Metal or plastic?
« on: January 23, 2016, 11:49:18 PM »
I'm thinking of bulk rolling some film, and I have some plastic cassettes that I haven't used. In fact, I've never used plastic cassettes. Hmm.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Metal or plastic?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:20:09 AM »
Prefer? Buy film fresh from store and home-process on metal or plastic - couldn't really care which.
Reality - Buy from a mixture of sources and process at home on the odd occasion when I get the urge / find time - otherwise send to a lab.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:23:16 AM »
I buy it pre-rolled (expired) and in bulk. I usually re-use the cartridges from the pre-rolled for the bulk/hand rolling, so usually my cassettes are metal. I do have some plastic ones with the screw-on ends and those are soooooo much easier to deal with in the dark than the fiddly snap-on metal ones. I have a daylight loader, but it doesn't really work right, so mostly I just measure a length in the dark and tape it onto the leader hanging out of the used cartridge, hope I have it taped straight and hand wind the film in. It's not as bad as it sounds.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:35 AM »
I also vote for plastic with screw cap, so easy.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
I prefer store bought and home processing with plastic reels, but have and do use bulk rolls in both plastic and metal.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
I don´t shoot more than about 100 rolls (135 + 120 in total) per year and I value my time highly, therefore no bulk for me.
Developing home (or in our dark room collective) means I don´t have to rely on others and being able to do what I want, when I want to do it.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
I've always preferred bulk rolling in metal and developing with metal , but after using a plastic dev tank with the plastic spool my life has changed.  No more pinched edges!

I still buy rolls of preloaded film on sale...that will never change.

:)

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:57 PM »
Bulk rolling makes almost no economic sense anymore, there just usually not enough price difference to offset the risk of film damage from handling it more than necessary. There is one reason to buy bulk however and that is I shoot half frame and sometimes want short rolls. Even that can be solved, at least partially by just going into the darkroom and snipping off what you have already exposed (at least 20 exposures) loading straight away onto a reel and then reloading the rest of the cassette.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
It all depends if you can get a deal on a bulk...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 12:37:44 AM »
It all depends if you can get a deal on a bulk...
I used to find deals from Freestyle, but not for a long time (10 years perhaps). As far a eBay, not sure I'd trust the storage of out of date film from someone I did not know although if it's B&W I would think that is fairly robust. As far a new film Kentmere seems to be a serviceable inexpensive film. It is $40 for 100 ft bulk through B&H, not a bad deal for us folks in the US. Order 10 plastic reloadable  cartridges at the same time and get free shipping from them since its over $49 total.

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 12:58:32 AM »
bulk loading is also a carry over from working at a newspaper for years...

I like the nostalgia of it mostly.
 8)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
Looking for deals on bulk rolls is a game of patience and a bit of risk, but since I like heavy grain, low contrast and weird colors, I'm good to go. Depending on the age and box speed, storage may not be as much of an issue for b/w and CN films. Damage from over-handling?? Pshaw! Scratch it, fingerprint it, dip it in oven cleaner, it's all good. Really I'm just saying that just about any film that will still record an image can be used for something. Early on, I tossed 50 sheets of 4x5 Royal X-Pan because the images were low contrast and fogged around the edges. Oh, what I wouldn't do to get those sheets back. I take risks on super cheap bulk film if it sounds like the seller either doesn't know anything about it, or they just want to get it out of the house. I got 400' of expired 35mm micro film for $12 and it is a really nice film to work with. So I keep plugging away at the bulk loading. Makes economic sense to me.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »
Bulk rolling makes almost no economic sense anymore, there just usually not enough price difference to offset the risk of film damage from handling it more than necessary. There is one reason to buy bulk however and that is I shoot half frame and sometimes want short rolls. Even that can be solved, at least partially by just going into the darkroom and snipping off what you have already exposed (at least 20 exposures) loading straight away onto a reel and then reloading the rest of the cassette.
I get 100 feet of HP for £50 delivered direct from Ilford that must be cheaper, I also have 300 feet of Double X, Orwo UN54 and Kodalith Ortho non of theses you can get pre rolled unless you pay through the nose for DoubleX

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:42:48 PM by gsgary »

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
My Leica friend showed me a camera that has a built in cutter for shooting part rolls but can't remember which one it was

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:43:21 PM by gsgary »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:54 PM »
Early on, I tossed 50 sheets of 4x5 Royal X-Pan because the images were low contrast and fogged around the edges. Oh, what I wouldn't do to get those sheets back.
Same thing here. Back in my very early beginnings, I thought the expiry dates were the same as on meat. You wouldn't believe how many rolls I tossed just because of that... and I regret every single one.

I also used some of the giveaway sample rolls of Ektachrome Lumière to make a shelf decoration  :-[
That was before I knew it could be Xpro...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 09:41:29 PM »
I was going to mention Double-X and the Orwo film but Gary got there first. I'm a bit hesitant to spend £200 on 400ft of Double-X but that would definitely be the economic way to do it. ;)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »
And then there are short ends of movie film if you like that look and don't mind removing remjet. That can usually be found for as little as 20 cents/foot, but even the "short" ends are 150' or more. I like my Fuji Eterna 500T. The remjet comes off in the tap water rinse after blix.
Flickr
Blogger

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
I was going to mention Double-X and the Orwo film but Gary got there first. I'm a bit hesitant to spend £200 on 400ft of Double-X but that would definitely be the economic way to do it. ;)
I only paid £65 for 400 feet but it is out of date, but the Orwo is really nice film
Probably shown this before, Orwo UN54 iso100 film

and a crop of above

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:51:43 AM by gsgary »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
Nigel bought some Orwo film as well IIRC. Maybe I should buy that as I could just order it directly from the factory in Germany. How well does the N74 push? Is ISO 1600 possible?

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »
Nigel bought some Orwo film as well IIRC. Maybe I should buy that as I could just order it directly from the factory in Germany. How well does the N74 push? Is ISO 1600 possible?
I haven't  used the N74 it's a  bit dearer for me to buy than HP5