Author Topic: David Burnett on the Campaign Trail with his Speed Graphic!  (Read 1687 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
David Burnett on the Campaign Trail with his Speed Graphic!
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
David Burnett posted a picture on his Facebook page this morning, of himself and his SpeedGraphic & Aero Ektar lens, covering a 2016 election event. Love him!

https://www.facebook.com/dave.burnett.16/posts/10153794917538904?fref=nf

***FYI: In case you forgot, this is the same photographer who went viral after being seen covering Olympic Gymnastics with the same set up.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
Re: David Burnett on the Campaign Trail with his Speed Graphic!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 12:04:05 AM »
Speed graphic with an AeroEktar! Be still my beating heart.
He also uses a Holga and has published results from it. Glad a recognized photographer still uses film when the results suits his needs. To me nothing so silly as shooting digital and then trying to manipulate it to look like film. For crying out loud, just shoot film in the first place!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
I love his work with the Speed Graphic, I'd like to have a go at shooting one handheld Weegee style one day

To me nothing so silly as shooting digital and then trying to manipulate it to look like film. For crying out loud, just shoot film in the first place!

John, I beg to differ. If it gets your creative juices flowing and meets your needs then nothing wrong with it in my book. Different strokes for different folks.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:40:09 AM »
Saw the stuff this chap did at London Olympics and that was really interesting.  Not so sure (as a Brit) I know enough about the candidates (apart from that pillock Donald Trump) to get the best out of the presidential race.  That said, I will check it out as good photography is good photography.

Also, I'm with Nigel on the photo manipulation issue.  I even use Silver Efex Pro on scanned film (occasionally).  Not to add grain but because some of the presets are just extremely good at converting colour to B&W, balancing out contrast, adding contyrast and they're a lot quicker than I would be using Photoshop. As Nigel said, different strokes for different folks.....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »
Wow. Another superb gallery !!!
Thanks!

Terry

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »
Deborah, thanks for bringing him in to B&H to speak.  I managed to make it to that one and am very glad I did. 

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:43 PM »
Deborah, thanks for bringing him in to B&H to speak.  I managed to make it to that one and am very glad I did.

You're welcome! It took me over two years to reel him in but I was glad I finally did. I've recently gotten another amazing catch coming later this spring. I can't say yet who it is but I will announce it here as soon as I can (and like all the workshops, it will be free!)