Author Topic: Seattle Pacific University/ working with the 4x5  (Read 1792 times)

6cmsquare

Seattle Pacific University/ working with the 4x5
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:56:13 AM »
Some shots form today, took my new "B&W King" 10 4x5 developing tank for a spin, some anomalies, but I'm sure it was user error. Otherwise I'm working on architectural shots, and composition. Shot with the Cambo. Ilford FP4 125, 90 and 150mm, orange filter.  Developed Rodinal 1:50,
 Please give me some critiques!
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Seattle Pacific University/ working with the 4x5
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »
nice series! I like the aestetics of the architecture you've portrayed with these.

the church shots have an interesting plane of focus. I can't decide if it's distracting or just another detail I like to explore.

the parking duo open strong with the house centered with a lot framing it. the inside shot has some good lines and fun play with light.
though I'd say bouth benefit, by my eye, with lowering the shot a bit. the house, leaving out a bit of the empty sky so the path looks more welcoming, leading a way into the shot. and the parking lot, cutting out the boxy like roof and giving more room for the floor that seems to have some details for the eye to rest on. might have given the shot a sense of more space sans looking on something. ie more depth in a way.

dunno if that helps any but thanks for sharing. hope you get on well with your new processing equipment :)
/jonas

6cmsquare

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:35 AM »
with lowering the shot a bit. the house, leaving out a bit of the empty sky so the path looks more welcoming, leading a way into the shot. and the parking lot, cutting out the boxy like roof and giving more room for the floor that seems to have some details for the eye to rest on. might have given the shot a sense of more space sans looking on something. ie more depth in a way.

Thank you, good critique.
 I played with that shot a bit, giving it more/less sky but I think I agree, a little more of the leading path would of been nice.... and you can see in the top right, I was running out of coverage.....also, It was a bitch to meter, it was early morning and the shade on the steps was something 5 stops difference from the sunlight on the building... I still don't quite know my way around those particular lighting situations.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:03:09 AM by 6cmsquare »
“I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.”
-Hunter S. Thompson

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
I really like this set, in particular the glow you've captured on the second shot of the underground (car park?).  I'm assuming that was as a result of a low angled sun (early / late) and it really lifts the shot.  I can imagine getting the exposure right was hard.  I suppose exposing for the highlights and developing for the shadows would be best?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

vintagesnaps

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
What a great building. I like both angles of the reflecting pool, and the last one showing that funky door. Beautifully done.
Sharon