Author Topic: One Roll One Subect - Southwestern Community College  (Read 1895 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
One Roll One Subect - Southwestern Community College
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:33:12 PM »
I was at this little campus down in Chula Vista for a summer football game my son was playing in. We were early so I took a walk around the campus with my Chinon CP5 and 50/1.9. It was loaded with Satish's expired, stored in a shoebox in the wheel well of a 1958 Chevy pickup that broke down and was abandoned somewhere between Baker and Lake Tuendae on Zzyzx Road, Ektachrome 64D. I have redscaled this film before and got pretty good results although there is some serious base fog to overcome. This time I decided to shoot it 'straight' though at iso 12 to compensate for the aforementioned time in the desert. I had to run the camera in manual mode which involves using both hands on the right side of the camera in order to set the shutter speed for each shot. It's a terrible design, but the camera's selling points were I'm sure around the automatic-ness of it and not the manual workflow.

The colors are shifted, but this is cross processed in some fairly old Unicolor chems. I didn't attempt to correct beyond what Epson Scan did. I did do some dust spotting, but that's pretty much it. There was some interesting architectural features on this little junior college campus. Enjoy.

Chinon-Ektachrome-016 by James Harr, on Flickr

Chinon-Ektachrome-020 by James Harr, on Flickr

Chinon-Ektachrome-018 by James Harr, on Flickr

Chinon-Ektachrome-017 by James Harr, on Flickr

Chinon-Ektachrome-022 by James Harr, on Flickr

Chinon-Ektachrome-015 by James Harr, on Flickr

It wouldn't be a day out with James unless there were some flowers.

Chinon-Ektachrome-024 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: One Roll One Subect - Southwestern Community College
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
Very nice James, I really like that 5th one.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »
Thanks Bryan. I couldn't tell if that was some sort of sundial or calendar. It was a cylindrical opening in a building and seems to have markers and a pointer. Interesting feature, even if it has no function.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
The golden hue to the shots has given the campus( to my mind anyway ), a bit of an subconcious metaphor to say this is the top place to send your child.
I like the shot that says elevator or steps-your choice-the most, details that make you think about the picture always are the tops for me.

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:38:42 AM »
Very nice! I also like the first and the fifth shots. I think the redscale suits this campus quite well, and I'm loving the angles you got.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »
As usual I am astounded at the quality of images you coax out of this film. Would you mind showing me one of the negs straight off the scanner? I want to see exactly how much base fog you're dealing with even at iso12...

Also, I love how you expanded on my "stored in a desert" analogy :D

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention, the fourth (random details!) and sixth are my favorites :) Also the flower pic, obvs ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:20:11 AM by Indofunk »