Author Topic: Wherein limr and 02Pilot go to Lake George  (Read 7452 times)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Wherein limr and 02Pilot go to Lake George
« on: April 24, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
We recently darted off for a late semester long weekend break to Lake George in upstate NY. We like to go up there before the season starts, when it's still quiet. Off-season resort towns are fascinating in their own way, and often far more interesting photographically, I think. I had with me my recently-acquired Leica IIIc mounting my Canon Serenar 50/1.9, which is essentially a coated Leitz Summar clone (I normally use the smaller FED 50/3.5 on this camera, but I figured the extra speed might be useful), and my Mamiyaflex Automat A. I planned to shoot color in the Mamiya and B&W in the Leica, though I did put one roll of color through the latter just for kicks.

I'll start off with some views of the aforementioned lake itself. More to come, especially once limr gets her film developed.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Re: Wherein limr and 02Pilot go to Lake George
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »
Excellent start! Can't wait to see the rest!

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 09:39:31 PM »
Fantastic! I like all of them.

vintagesnaps

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »
Wonderfully done.
Sharon

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:07:29 AM »
Thanks, folks.

The next set of mine demonstrate my (some would say) mild photographic obsession with signs. All shot with the Leica and the Canon 50/1.9.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:36 AM »
Backlog. I haz one.

I have 8 rolls of black and white to develop. I've got to just tie myself to my Patterson tank and lock myself in the bathroom until I get it all done. Not sure if I can do that, though, until my classes finish in two weeks. As for color, I dropped off 10 rolls to the lab on Friday. It was actually done on Saturday but I couldn't pick it up before they closed, so I have to get it tomorrow, and chances are, it will take me all week to scan it. Hopefully there will be something soon, though!

Until then, I do have one 3000B negative scan of the Howard Johnson's. It's one of the last two remaining HoJo restaurants in the entire country. This one was recently re-opened and though the decor and music was straight out of the 80s, the service was good and the food was surprisingly tasty. There seemed to be a regular crowd developing already, so hopefully they'll survive and even maybe make enough of a profit to update the decor! (For crying out loud, they still had the massive salad bar with the "Smorgasbord" sign still up!

Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
OK, limr's got her color film developed and will be scanning it soon, so I'm going to get one more set of photos in before she starts getting all the attention (I'm so insecure...).

Lake George is stuck in a sort of Twilight Zone that mixes elements of the 1950s through the 1980s in a slightly run-down Dali-esque surrealist montage. It's hard to capture the gestalt of the thing without actually experiencing it, so I tried to focus on particular elements. The photos I've included here show some of Lake George's many old-fashioned roadside motels, often painted garish (or once-garish) colors or designed in a completely inappropriate style (a Polynesian-themed resort in upstate NY - why not!?) to grab the attention of passers-by. The signs often send odd or incongruous messages: "Stay here - Walk there" - who runs this place, Jean-Paul Sartre? And clearly, nothing says "Hey, let's stay here on our honeymoon!" like a giant neon Indian head, right?

Anyway, there's more weirdness to come. Stay tuned.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
Great essay I'm really enjoying it, especially those mid century signs.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »
Amazing that those places can stay in business. I know that the area used to be a huge summer destination for "downstate" people in the 50's, but the subsequent decline in summer resorting can't be supporting all of those decrepit motels can it?

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
Wow. Great series. So cool to see that many places still retain their old signage and appearance. And a Hojos! Used to love eating at Howard Johnsons when I was a little kid on road trips with my parents.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 03:24:29 PM »
Amazing that those places can stay in business. I know that the area used to be a huge summer destination for "downstate" people in the 50's, but the subsequent decline in summer resorting can't be supporting all of those decrepit motels can it?

Yes and no. The motels seem to be more or less surviving; there are some that have clearly closed up shop for good, but most of them seem to be holding on. What's mostly gone are the old cabin resorts. All along the road into Lake George there are abandoned little colonies of tiny cabins - it's creepy.

Wow. Great series. So cool to see that many places still retain their old signage and appearance. And a Hojos! Used to love eating at Howard Johnsons when I was a little kid on road trips with my parents.

Great essay I'm really enjoying it, especially those mid century signs.

I love the old signs too - I always try to get some shots when I see them.

We read a story about one of the last remaining Howard Johnson's restaurants closing (there were three left, now two), only to discover that one of the survivors was in Lake George. We had been casting about for a place to go for a long weekend, and that pretty much sealed the deal.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 07:20:48 AM »
Those are really great! And signs like this just don't exist here in Europe. We just have those really old buildings everywhere. :P Some day I'll need to come to the US and just spend weeks photographing signs. ;)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »
Lake George is both dated and timeless. I kinda sorta love it :)

And yes, this week got away from me and I'll be scanning this weekend, finally!
Leonore

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 03:38:33 AM »
Why no, this wasn't a creepy "amusement" park. Not creepy at all. Noooope. *slowly backs away*

(Lubitel 166B and Ektar)

rs Creepy Uncle Sam by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rs No vehicles by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rs Creepy stalker by limrodrigues, on Flickr

rs Santa's nose by limrodrigues, on Flickr
Leonore

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 09:53:49 AM »
What a great thread.  Love the signage in the US.  That Windsor Hotel one is a beaut.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »
It wouldn't be a photo thread on FW without boats, so...

Lake George still has a number of old steamboats that operate for the tourists in the summer. When we were there they were tied up to the piers, waiting for the season to begin. Not as compelling as if they were out on the lake, but I tried to make the best of it. In fact, there were almost no boats out on the lake at all, save for the one small one I spotted carrying two fishermen around very early one morning.

As previously, all with the Leica IIIc and the Canon 50/1.9.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
Ah yes, boats. Here's one from me:

rs Minnehaha by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Though we are often taking pictures of the same things, it's interesting to see the different takes we have on the subject. Here's my version of the three viewfinder thingies:

rs Three views by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Both are the Lubitel and Portra 400.
Leonore

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
That boat really is very photogenic!
Love the park pictures as well. Those figures would make me look behind my back walking there, just to be sure thy don't move.  ;)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
I got a wee bit obsessed with the viewfinders

This time with the Spotmatic and some Agfa Vista 200.

Three more views by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Viewfinder by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Viewfinder 2 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I also liked the ducks:

Duck 1 by limrodrigues, on Flickr

But they weren't always welcome by locals:

Don't feed the ducks by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Leonore

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »
I like the second viewfinder! (the one entitled simply "viewfinder") Very Nat Geo/travel mag-y :)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 04:23:18 AM »
The one of the duck on the pier is a great optical illusion. It looks like the pilings are holding up the land on the other side of the lake. It took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on there. Great shots. Can't pick a fave, but the lumberjack stalker is creepy enough to make me smile.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 05:09:12 AM »
Hahaha, I didn't notice that! Very Escher :D

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 01:41:16 AM »
I wish I could take credit for the clever placement of the posts in the duck shot. Truth is, I didn't notice it when I was taking the picture and I even didn't notice it when I was editing the picture!  :-[ Still kinda neat, though ;)

Here are a few more that I entitle, "Random Crap in Portrait Orientation" - all Agfa Vista 200 (I'm really starting to like this film!)

Picnic by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Bus shelter by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Path by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Turkish coffee by limrodrigues, on Flickr
Leonore