Author Topic: Photography and Migraine  (Read 7079 times)

John

• JB Photography Galleries
Photography and Migraine
« on: April 18, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
Hi,
Are there any migraine sufferers on here?

I suffer from regular migraines, which get worse in summer. Bright sunlight is a cause unfortunately. Photography becomes almost impossible during these migraine episodes. I shot just 4 films last year because of them.

I wonder how others manage their migraines and photography?

All the best

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Photography and Migraine
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
I know that food that contains MSG causes them.

Do very dark glasses help?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
yup  - I've recently started to get them as a side effect of medication. There is not much i can do about them, other than take a whack of codeine and go to bed for a while. There are really quite disabling, so I feel your pain. My photo output has gone down drastically because of them, and the root cause for needing the meds. It sucks really. I find that the strong smell of darkroom chemicals can trigger one also.

I quite like the visual disturbances I get - I sometimes wish I could photograph that o.O
L.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
I used to get them where I was out for the day but rarely get them now

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »
In all honesty, I don't know whether I suffer from them or not.  Occasionally, if I've been using a VDU for a long period and/or I go out into strong sunlight, I find it incredibly difficult and painful to open my eyes.  Last time I had my eyes tested, I went for transitions lenses that go dark in sunlight and they help a bit.  However, the other "trigger" is anything with MSG.  In my opinion, that crap shouldn't be allowed in food or, if it is, it should be flagged up in big, bold letters.  I know the argument is that it's just a salt but I get raging thirsts, pounding headaches and and sleep disturbance if I eat it.

I really feel for John and Leon with this affliction.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »
I get them too. Less so now than before. But bright light can bring on a headache regardless, not always migraine. Not sure what brings them on, never have found a direct cause, even after 5 years of commiting all meals, and other particulars to diary. Suffice to say I have at least 10 pairs of sunglasses, they are at least one pair everywhere I go, and in every vehicle, house, cabin I reside.

Good thing that we don´t have that strong sun up here in the north. Last summer however was one of the warmest and best in recent memory, or so people say. I hated it, not only do I not particularily like the light, but can´t abide the heat either.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 07:54:54 PM »
*raises hand*

Mine are tied to hormones mostly, so even absent any other trigger, I get a 3-day migraine every month.

It sounds a little worse than it is because they're not always really bad and I'm stubborn and insist on functioning, but it still kinda sucks.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:57:19 PM by limr »
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
Sumatriptan.

YMMV, of course, but it's quick enough to act that I hardly worry about migraines or clusters any more.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 08:55:47 PM »
I think that when you have migraines, you have to know what cluster headaches are in order to feel better.
I saw a documentary on them years ago and let me tell you it looks quite intense.

The sad thing about these is that there are experimental meds out there that seem to work but the governments don't want further developments of them because they are based on a molecule that is a close relative to LSD but without any of the effects...

I know that some people with a lot of migraines and a lot of guts get botox injections in the neck... that would scare the s*** out of me but some of them say it helps.
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
Sumatriptan works for my wife too, and those pills have definitely changed the way she deals with migraines these days. However, I'm not sure that everyone's migraines are caused by the same chemical deficiency which sumatriptan replaces.

For my own part I just get plain old headaches, albeit an awful lot. Sometimes really nasty ones. Smells, bright lights, lack of water.....or and too much booze can all bring them on. Boo!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 12:05:50 AM »
I must admit that it's pretty sad when you hear other people talk about how migraines prevent them from doing things they love.

For me, too cold winters prevent me from enjoying taking photos for a large part of the year. And when spring finally arrives, I get allergies... and antihistamines don't do much for me. And this year, I get a double whammy of the cold and allergies at the same time. Lets just say when I look at my cameras these days, it just makes me feel more miserable.

And the forecast plans for cold rain all week. I look at pinhole day that's coming up and I hope they're wrong.
If my cold could just be gone by then... I'm a bit tired of suffering in snot...
Francois

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 12:50:48 AM »
Och a get rem migraine heidaeks tae ...............................but ma biggest problem izz CFS, witch duzznae help mee tak fotis aw rat mutch  :(  :'(  >:(
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 01:06:20 AM »
When I got  a migraine I would also be violently  sick for at least 4 hours, most of the time they were brought on when I was very tired or I got hassle from my ex wife

scapevision

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 01:54:25 AM »
I used to suffer a lot of those, but ever since I switched up what I eat it's been better so far (I eat a lot less meat and mostly stick to almost vegetarian diet). Only get an occasional when rain comes. Caffeine seems to help a bit if taken early on. I don't drink coffee though, so when I do I get a huge kick. I also started using a standing desk at work and it seemed to help with blood circulation quite a bit. When they do come, all I can do is go to sleep, because anything else just hurts, not to even mention photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
*raises hand*

Mine are tied to hormones mostly

Mine too. I have a messed up pituitary gland which is constantly shifting my endocrinal balance. The meds also affect this whilst treating the root cause. There seems to be particular times (no oattern)  when I am susceptible and then the faintest whiff of metallic fixer or acid fix (amongst other things)  sends me into waves of brainpain and flashing patterns.

My journey over the past 2 and a bit years has made me realise how powerful and damaging  hormonal shifts can be. Most men don't get to experience that first hand!

Anyway,  back to cameras ;)
L.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
I think that when you have migraines, you have to know what cluster headaches are in order to feel better.
I saw a documentary on them years ago and let me tell you it looks quite intense.

You betcha!... think 6 inch nail being driven into your temple.  For years I thought they were migraines but was always fobbed off by doctors that they were just normal headaches as they only lasted for a couple of hours. My trigger was alcohol... hardly ever drink now as I live in fear of them returning.

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »

You betcha!... think 6 inch nail being driven into your temple.  For years I thought they were migraines but was always fobbed off by doctors that they were just normal headaches as they only lasted for a couple of hours. My trigger was alcohol... hardly ever drink now as I live in fear of them returning.

Paul

It's a clockwork bitch.  I once calculated I'd lost over 10,000 hours of my life.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
I put all of mine down to booze/lack of water. My intolerance is becoming more frequent, which is a tad worrying! I've pretty much had to stop drinking whisky because of it, but, I persevere!

John

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
Many thanks for all your replies.

So many points from people I can relate to. Will post again soon, some very good posts I want to reply too.

Feeling better today so going out for a bit.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
Feeling better today so going out for a bit.

Good news John. Make the most of it and enjoy!
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »
Oh yes, take it while you can! :)
Francois

scapevision

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 03:12:59 AM »
I was getting one early in the morning today, but after a coffee and a lot of fresh air I seem to have battled my way out of it.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
It's interesting that a few have mentioned alcohol and hydration.  I have never been a "heavy drinker" but I do like the occasional whiskey or glass of vino.  However, if I have more than a couple of glasses of either (not to the level of aything that would cause a hangover), I've noticed that I'm much more likely to have one of these debilitating headaches in the night or when I wake up.  The only "cure" is a dark room, loads of water and a couple of ibuprofen.  Once the headache's gone - usually a couple of hours, sometimes longer - I need a good few hours sleep. 

I'm seriously considering going tee-total or only drinking the odd beer.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
Alcohol is a diuretic so it will dehydrate you.  That contributes to a hangover and headaches.  I find a glass of water between alcoholic drinks helps a lot, but I don't get migraines. 

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
nice people being able to support each other here.

I used to have some following a concussion I had. lots of lying down in a dark room for me then.

I was more into drawing then but now? hm... the closest I can think of is setting up a pinhole to expose while I rest.

take care, ya'll
/jonas

scapevision

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:47 PM »
In terms of alcohol it's true, I can't drink any without getting a headache, but then my issue is mainly blood pressure related. A sip of cognac helps alleviate the pain sometimes. Vino is a no-no, as I just get a thumping sensation in my head and get a headache. Hydration is also a thing. I started drinking a lot of coconut water, which helps a lot. Also not all water is the same, apparently it has to be activated :)

John

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
I get them too. Less so now than before. But bright light can bring on a headache regardless, not always migraine. Not sure what brings them on, never have found a direct cause, even after 5 years of commiting all meals, and other particulars to diary. Suffice to say I have at least 10 pairs of sunglasses, they are at least one pair everywhere I go, and in every vehicle, house, cabin I reside.

Good thing that we don´t have that strong sun up here in the north. Last summer however was one of the warmest and best in recent memory, or so people say. I hated it, not only do I not particularily like the light, but can´t abide the heat either.

That's exactly my experience. A hot summer is hell for me too. Pollen seems to affect me too, so summer has become a season I now dread.

I saw a neurologist last year and kept a diary etc. The causes of migraine symptoms are not fully understood. The triggers vary between people, but its either diet, environment and/or stress.

From reading the posts it seems there's no one answer to cope with migraines. The Triptan drugs do work, but when used frequently, they become much less effective. The receptors in the brain get immune to the drug. The side effects can be strong too. For me it's tiredness and a numbness in the brain - they remove my spontaneity.

I don't drink much alcohol these days. I feel it's basically paying for a headache. Though I do like a decent Scotch in the winter evenings.

I had a better day yesterday, so thanks everyone.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 01:37:25 AM »
It's interesting that there's no one size fits all.  Sunshine NEVER gives me a headache or migraine. 

There was a 2 year period in the 90s that I had a migraine more days out of the month than not.   I sometimes can get rid of them with 2 600mg (prescription strength) ibuprofen, or just to fall asleep - as if REM sleep can disrupt the pounding?  I am caffeine free, so I don't get them from that anymore.  I get them due to hormones, but also more regularly from barametric pressure changes and the moon.   (Am I the only one who gets them around the full moon?).  When they are extra severe, I spin like vertigo, which makes me nauseous. 

Gosh, do we need to start a Photographers with Migraine's club?  I hope not :)

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 04:14:45 AM »
Funny thing about alcohol and my headaches...

My "danger zone" starts a few days before the, uh...woman problems, and generally lasts a couple of days afterwards as well. I try to be very very careful with my alcohol intake during this time. However, once I get the headache, having a glass of wine with dinner doesn't make it worse or longer. Beer will often make it worse, or is more likely to trigger the headache - some beers moreso than others. Brown liquors have also been known to trigger the headache. Sweet liquors or cocktails are really bad.

BUT...and this is weird...gin and vodka have sometimes made my headache go away! As I said, once I have a headache, I'll sometimes just say eff it and have a class of something - I already have the pain so I might as well let my mouth enjoy a nice glass of wine. One night, I was in a really eff it sort of a mood and I had a martini (a proper one - not one of these horrifyingly sweet cocktails that they call 'martinis' these days.) The headache was gone by the time I finished the martini! And this has happened more than once. Vodka or gin is not a reliable medication, but it does sometimes actually stop the headache.

I'll still get a headache during my danger zone even if I'm really good about avoiding my triggers, but they're not as bad. And sometimes I'll get one outside of my danger zone with a non-hormone trigger - bright light (I am ALWAYS wearing sunglasses), hot and sunny weather (deadly!), certain beers or wines (Yellowtail is the devil!)
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Reviving this thread a bit. I just discovered that Campbell's soup stopped using salt and replaced it with MSG without telling anyone.
Do check the label on the stuff you usually eat.
Francois