Author Topic: Photographing Winter in Austin with a KW Pilot 6  (Read 3213 times)

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Photographing Winter in Austin with a KW Pilot 6
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:18:05 AM »
Pilot 6 by berangberang, on Flickr

I've taken possession of a very charming little camera. A Pilot 6 SLR made by Kamera-Werkstätten in the 1930s. It makes 16 6x4.5 exposure on a roll of 120 - most of them overlapping slightly. It features an Ennatar 4.5/75 lens and shutter speeds from 1/20 to 1/150 as well as ground glass focusing.

Kamera-Werkstätten Pilot 6 by berangberang, on Flickr

It is a very simple camera which cost roughly the same as a contemporary Argus C3 when new. KW would go on to make the Praktiflex and Praktica cameras, ultimately becoming VEB Pentacon in postwar east Germany.

Some previous owner took it upon themselves to brush black enamel all over this Pilot 6. I sort of like the look. It reminds me of preserved machines in museums...
Kamera-Werkstätten Pilot 6 by berangberang, on Flickr

And now for some pictures:

cranes by berangberang, on Flickr

lake by berangberang, on Flickr

wall by berangberang, on Flickr

volkswagen by berangberang, on Flickr

Hero Alarm Clock by berangberang, on Flickr

Hero Dog Clock by berangberang, on Flickr

Like most early SLRs it is not particularly easy to use. The slow lens makes it difficult to compose and focus unless the magnifier is swung into place - it blocks light from entering the viewing hood but then it is impossible to see the corners of the screen! So I had no idea what these images would look like until I got them processed. The aperture is adjust manually, there isn't even a preset function so you have to set the f/stop visually by watching the numbers appear on a dial located in front of the view hood. Not a camera for candid photos. But I'm enthusiastic about the way the lens renders, and despite its slowness it is still a fun camera to operate.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Photographing Winter in Austin with a KW Pilot 6
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:43 AM »
Those photos look great, what film did you use?  How does the mirror move away when you take a picture, is it moved manually or is it automatic like a modern SLR?  Cool camera!

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 07:23:13 AM »
Those photos look great, what film did you use?  How does the mirror move away when you take a picture, is it moved manually or is it automatic like a modern SLR?  Cool camera!

It is Lomography's 100ASA 120. The mirror forms part of the shutter - it works similar to the shutter in the Exa. The mirror swings up uncovering the back of the lens, and as it continues moving up it catches and then pulls up a plate behind it which then covers the lens again.  But it has to be cocked manually, as well the diaphragm has to be stopped down manually before shooting - not a fast camera in use.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:42:21 AM »
a camera I'd like to try! and you got some interesting pictures out of it too :)

I think I read somewhere that the great wall df is based on this camera?

edit: ofcourse, it was moominsean that wrote about it on his blog
http://moominsean.blogspot.se/2008/06/great-wallthe-camera-not-wall.html
a bit of a sidenote, but he converted his to take polaroid peel apart:
http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3323.msg33243
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:52:21 AM by jojonas~ »
/jonas

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:42:46 AM »
a camera I'd like to try! and you got some interesting pictures out of it too :)

I think I read somewhere that the great wall df is based on this camera?

edit: ofcourse, it was moominsean that wrote about it on his blog
http://moominsean.blogspot.se/2008/06/great-wallthe-camera-not-wall.html
a bit of a sidenote, but he converted his to take polaroid peel apart:
http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3323.msg33243

I've been looking for a Great Wall for YEARS but nobody ever has one at a decent price. There's one on ebay now, but broken, and I made several offers to buy it at a reasonable price, the seller is delusional though.

The Great Wall is based loosely off of the Pilot Super which was the slightly more complex follow up to the Pilot 6. The Super added a slightly more complex/accurate shutter and a removable lens. The Great Wall is rather larger, I would guess the make assembly easier or perhaps to make room for the optional self timer and flash synch some of them had.

However now that I have a Pilot 6, I think it may be a more fun camera to use - and I definitely like the way it renders.