Author Topic: Saying Goodbye  (Read 2909 times)

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
Saying Goodbye
« on: November 14, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
No, not to you lot, but to a bunch of cameras.

I recently decided to whittle down the number of cameras that I have. I seem to enjoy acquiring cameras almost as much as shooting with them. I really do get a kick out of going over a newly acquired camera, figuring out its features, its quirks and then seeing the results I get with them. Over the past few years I've accumulated so many cameras that many of them lay on a shelf unused, a state of being for cameras that I dislike. I think functioning cameras should be used. Not hoarded away or only displayed like Uncle Burts ashes up on the mantle. I think of myself as a photographer, not a collector. If a piece of gear sits unused for over a year or two, then I probably don't need it. The thought of downsizing had been banging around in my head for a little while, but I had no impetus to do anything about it.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine announced that he was organizing a photo gear swap/sale/trade event (never mind the redundancy of swap and trade, that's what he titled it so we'll go with it) and that was the kick in the ass I needed to start the process of deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. I've never been highly money-motivated but the idea of trading is appealing to me and even if I do wind up selling some gear a little cash in pocket can't hurt (film ain't free, now is it?).

I had been, and still am, a bit Polaroid obsessed. I had actively tried to get one of each model of Polaroid Land Camera, a feat at which I did not succeed. That, coupled with my inability to pass up a bargain on a Land Camera, led to over thirty of them amongst all my gear. I've sold a few and given a few away as gifts to friends who are also photographers, but still too many remain.

I also love 35mm, medium and large format as well as pinhole photography too. All it took was hearing or reading someone else wax rhapsodic or at times moronic about a camera and off I went to research it. If the camera seemed like something I wanted I would hunt around the usual spots to see if a bargain could be had. This also helped lead to my current state of too many cameras.

Deciding which cameras to trade or sell wasn't easy. It was easier to go about it by figuring which cameras to keep. My Crown Graphic is staying as was all it's lenses and accessories. I will keep ten Land Cameras (I know, I know that's a lot but I'm taking baby steps in the Land Camera diminishment department) . I'll also keep one SX-70 and one or two 600 format Polaroids as well as a Spectra. 35mm cameras were easy enough to decide on. I'll keep my Leica SLR, my Canon AE1, my father's old Pentax Spotmatic and my K1000. As for 35mm rangefinders I am going to concentrate on my Olympus 35, Rollei 35, Werra 1, Petri Racer and one Canonet GL17 GIII. I'm also keeping both of my Exas as I really enjoy using them. For Medium format I'll hold on to my Yashica D, Ciroflex TLR, Kiev 88 and a Holga. Once I made those decisions getting everything else ready for the sale wasn't too tough.

Now this isn't a promise to not acquire any new gear, I heard there were going to be some 8x10s at the event, but it is an effort to divest myself of unused cameras and hopefully put them into hands where they will be used and appreciated. I'm sure I won't trade or sell everything, in fact I don't know if anyone will be interested in what I'll have to offer but at the very least I've convinced my self that it's time to get rid of a bunch of stuff.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:13:43 PM by Adam Doe »

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
Re: Saying Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »
I need to do this, too. I think I have about 41 film cameras of all kinds (but like you, I will be keeping my Crown). I have many folders that I've only shot once, but I can say that I have shot at least one roll through every camera in my collection.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Saying Goodbye
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
Adam, I have been prattling on in the "how many cameras do u have" thread about feeling like I am not using too many of mine, so I give u props for this.

I totally understand how the love of some aspect of a camera (frequently a quirky one) can lead to obsession. That is how I fell down the 110 rabbit hole haha. 

Hopefully when all of us (that want to lighten our camera collection) finally put then up for sale, we will not all just swap a bunch of cameras around haha.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
...I totally understand how the love of some aspect of a camera (frequently a quirky one) can lead to obsession. That is how I fell down the 110 rabbit hole haha...

I spent a brief period down that rabbit hole as well when I got a Minolta 110 Zoom SLR. Off it goes Sunday, hopefully, along with a few boxes of Lomo 110 film.

Terry

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »
Here's hoping you come home with an 8x10!

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:08 AM »
we will not all just swap a bunch of cameras around haha.

That's half the fun!

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »
I have 3 110 cameras and some film. How does one go about developing them?
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:36:19 PM »
Either the modified Paterson reel way or the see-saw tray method.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:08:51 PM »
Verian, I hacked down an innocent Patterson reel and thought it was important enough that I posted a step by step. http://m.instructables.com/id/Modify-a-Patterson-film-reel-to-process-110-film/all/
---------------

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
Saying Goodbye
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 03:34:53 AM »
Well, I didn't sell too much gear, just one camera to a friend at the end of the day. I did sell and trade a whole mess of pack film. FP-100B, 4x5 FP-3000B and 100C and a couple of packs of Chocolate and Sepia. The guy with the 8x10 cameras didn't show up so I did not come home with an 8x10.

My medium format arsenal did improve considerably. I traded some FP-3000B  4x5 and 100C 4x5 for a Rolleiflex TLR. Then after I sold a batch of pack film I happened to wander over to where a woman had set up and in the front of her offerings was a Bronica SQ-A. I asked her about it and she said that all of it would go for $100. The bronco was sitting next to an uninteresting looking tripod and an old light meter of questionable working status and I pointed  at them and asked "All this?". She indicated a box by her feet and said. "This, the lenses, extra backs, filters, etc." So for $100.00 which I had just made selling pack film I got the SQ-A, with a 150mm lens, 80mm lens, 65mm lens, two 120 back, one 220 back, two viewfinders, one waist level and one of the kind you put your eye to, a spare focusing screen, spare dark slides, a bellows thing with a filter holder, two diffusion portrait filters, a Polaroid back , manual and a grip with trigger and thumb winder. I thanked the woman profusely. Probably too much, and asked her if she realized what a great bargains he was giving me. She said she did and that she had bought it on eBay and had never used it. I feel very lucky.

I also was given an old projector lens which I try to use with an old speed graphic that I picked up a couple of years ago and then for $4.00 I bought a roll of Cinestill 800 which I hope to use for some nighttime street photos.

It was a fun day with a great group of people.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:29:02 PM by Adam Doe »

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:24:32 AM »
I got the SQ-A, with a 150mm lens, 80mm lens, 65mm lens, two 120 back, one 220 back, two viewfinders, one waist level and one of the kind you put your eye to, a spare focusing screen, spare dark slides, a bellows thing with a filter holder, two diffusion portrait filters, a Polaroid back , manual and a grip with trigger and thumb winder.
Bastard! ;D WLF is very expensive when sold alone on the SQ system.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
I got the SQ-A, with a 150mm lens, 80mm lens, 65mm lens, two 120 back, one 220 back, two viewfinders, one waist level and one of the kind you put your eye to, a spare focusing screen, spare dark slides, a bellows thing with a filter holder, two diffusion portrait filters, a Polaroid back , manual and a grip with trigger and thumb winder.
Bastard! ;D WLF is very expensive when sold alone on the SQ system.

What he said!
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
I will add to the 'what he said' chorus!!
---------------