Author Topic: Using camera with incorrect shutter speeds before CLA  (Read 823 times)

jeremy ng

• 35mm
Using camera with incorrect shutter speeds before CLA
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
Hi all,

My first post here. I am more of a lurker/reader

I snagged an Agfa Silette Pronto with 'Color-Agnar' lens for next to nothing at an opp shop.

I have tested it and it seems to be working fine: the shutter fires at all speeds, the aperture closes down when the ring is rotated, the wind on and counting mechanism works (all these were observed with the film back opened).

However, I can't be sure if the shutter is firing at the correct speed as there seems to be no difference between the fastest speed (1/250) and the slowest (1/30).

I was wondering if it would be safe to use the camera before I get it CLA or would I risk further damage to the camera?

Thank you!

Jeremy Ng

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
Re: Using camera with incorrect shutter speeds before CLA
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:19:52 PM »
Unlikely you'd damage anything, especially in a simple shutter like the Pronto. More likely that you'll loosen it up a bit and the speeds will start to differentiate. In any case, the problem is usually dried lubricants and/or accumulated crud. That shutter is really easy to work on - if you're so inclined, open it up and flush it with Ronsonol. If not, exercise shouldn't hurt it at all.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
Same thing here.
I have a camera which I have to "blank trigger" a few times before using... no problem there.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »
Shoot Tri-X and stand develop in Rodinal 1:100. Then it will matter less whether your exposures are accurate.

(Rodinal will develop anything ©Indofunk)
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
Shoot Tri-X and stand develop in Rodinal 1:100. Then it will matter less whether your exposures are accurate.

(Rodinal will develop anything ©Indofunk)

:D this will never get old

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »
Mh, I found working on these 35mm-cam-shutters rather delicate because it's not easy to unmount the whole lens. On a folding cam it's easy but I messed up too much non-folding lenses. So I can't help very much.

Besides that, the first series of the Silette is a nice small, heavy and sturdy brick and the 3-element lenses Agnar or the slightly better Apotar add some own flavor to the pics. The thread reminds me that I have to learn how to dismantle the whole lens of a Silette.

timor

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:01:37 AM »
Hi Jeremy ! Welcome here.
I own one Agfa Silette SLE with Color - Solinar 2.8/50 and Prontor shutter (B-1/300) of 1958 vintage. It was used often, the ever ready case was in pieces. But the camera is as solid as it gets. Even light meter is still accurate. (German engineering.) There was no problems with aperture or shutter speeds. Yours maybe needs some exercising to work OK.
Point to us, which model of Silette it is:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Silette