Author Topic: A gift from Canada.  (Read 13016 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: A gift from Canada.
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 03:09:10 PM »
Guédille isn't even closely related to lobster roll!

It's actually a close cousin to poutine. It's poutine with hot chicken sauce and peas... you can add pulled chicken to it.

I'm wondering, is rappie pie closely related to Poutine Rapée? (which inherently has nothing to do with regular poutine)

Friscot? never heard of this one...

If I guess cipaille to me some sort of fish pie, would I be wrong?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »
I can feel my arteries clogging just reading this thread :o

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
The lobster roll I had out east was just like a guédille but with lobster instead of the meat. They called it a lobster roll in English but it was very different then any lobster roll I ever had.

Cipaille can be made with seafood, and often in Quebec I'm told that is how it is eaten, but when we ate it it was with game meat or tourtiere meat, layered with potatoes & pastry usually in a loaf pan.  Poutine Rapée are the potato / pork dumplings. Rappie pie is usually in a casserole dish made up of grated potatoes that has been pressed of liquid and then broth & meat are added. Then cooked in the oven. I've usually had it with pork or chicken but out east they'll eat it with seafood. Fricot is a chicken stew that you sometimes have with dumplings (poutines).

arteries clogging
Not a lot of vegetables are used in French Canadian cuisine.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »
Well... I think the potato is a vegetable... so that counts as one  ;D
Francois

Terry

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2014, 12:03:19 AM »
You know, this is the sort of erudite discussion that makes FW a good read....

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
You know, we always pride ourselves on being a constant source of edifying conversation and totally pointless information  ;D
Francois

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
We probably should include photos of these foods...

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
I'm in the States. You Canucks gotta get on that.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:32 PM »
That's why you need to come up north for a visit :)

We also have in Montreal the best bagels in the world. They're so good that they were sent to the international space station!
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Actually, I do have 2 girls in MTL bugging me to come up there ;) And I would love to make the NYC/MTL bagel comparison for myself. The rivalry is world-famous :) I would bring you some Murray's bagels, but they are the world's best bagels when they are fresh, and that's the only state they should be eaten in.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:14 PM »
I'd go to Montreal for the bagels, that's one reason I like to go to NYC.  I understand H&H went out of business.  Last time I was there I was getting them at Tribeca Bagels. 

I had my wife bring me back some bagels when she was there several years ago.  I set them on top of the refrigerator when I went to bed.  When I got up in the morning I found the bag tore open and nothing but crumbs.  The cat must have pushed them off for the dog.  My wife laughed and told me she bought whatever they had at the airport as she was leaving because she forgot to get them in the city. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
You gotta be careful in NYC in the sense that your standard cornershop/bodega will sell items called "bagels" which are actually just round loaves of bread with holes in the center. You have to go to a respectable place to get a respectable bagel. Let's justify your pets' behavior by saying that they noticed your wife had inadvertently purchased some of these "bagel-shaped items" and decided to save you the pain of eating them :)

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
You gotta be careful in NYC in the sense that your standard cornershop/bodega will sell items called "bagels" which are actually just round loaves of bread with holes in the center. You have to go to a respectable place to get a respectable bagel. Let's justify your pets' behavior by saying that they noticed your wife had inadvertently purchased some of these "bagel-shaped items" and decided to save you the pain of eating them :)

She made up for it by having a friend bring me some proper bagels a few weeks later.  It's very hard to find good bagels near my home, the best ones I've found are 90 miles away.  Most stores around here sell the bagel shaped bread. 

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
Personally, I am a fairmount man, but was in NYC recently. How do 'brooklyn bagels' fit in the desirability matrix, Satish? I thought they were OK. I had limited time and and was more pizza-focused.

She made up for it by having a friend bring me some proper bagels a few weeks later.  It's very hard to find good bagels near my home, the best ones I've found are 90 miles away.  Most stores around here sell the bagel shaped bread.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52:07 PM »
You gotta be careful in NYC in the sense that your standard cornershop/bodega will sell items called "bagels" which are actually just round loaves of bread with holes in the center.
Same thing here. Most people who get them at the grocery store have absolutely no idea of what is a fantastic bagel.
For me, it absolutely has to be hand rolled and dipped in boiling sugar water before being cooked in a wood oven. Unevenness makes them even better!

And yes, I've had Fairmount's bagels. I've had Saint-Viateur's bagels. Fairmount is still the best for me (but there's a definite bagel war in town with people picking sides :) )
Francois

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »
No love for your own wood oven baked Montreal style bagel Francois?

EDIT: sorry delayed post from offline.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2014, 12:29:43 AM »
Haha the st viatuer vs fairmont is an age old battle! I remember when I was introduced to them 25 years ago I was told to pick a side.
---------------

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »
No love for your own wood oven baked Montreal style bagel Francois?
Like I said, Fairmount's is the best for my tastebuds. And they do them the proper way.
It's nice when you go to their shop and you see the bakers rolling the bagels, the smell of fresh dough, the crackling of the fire, the way they pick-up the bagels on those long wooden planks... besides, they're also open 24/7
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »
I think Chef Ramsey needs to go to Canada as soon as possible and sort out your eating habits and:-)

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »
Fairmount bagel is the best for me as well. When I first moved to this area of Ontario, there was a place that was owned by a guy who trained at Fairmount and he made a close approximation of the ones I had in Montreal. Sadly, the bakery changed hands and the quality went downhill quick.

Those doughnut shaped bread rolls are not the same as a good bagel. Its an insult to both bread and bagels to call those things bagels. Call it doughnut bread, anything, just don't call them a good bagel.

We didn't even talk about Sugar Pie in this thread. Or my childhood favourite - pets de Soeur (literally Nun's farts) which is sort of a cinnamon roll pastry.

I think Chef Ramsey needs to go to Canada as soon as possible and sort out your eating habits and:-)
Bring it on, he can learn some new swear words.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
I think someone needs to send me some Saint-Viateur's and Fairmount bagels so I can determine which is better. ;D

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »
was surprised by the popularity of lobster rolls in Nova Scotia.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
A gift from Canada.
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »
I think someone needs to send me some Saint-Viateur's and Fairmount bagels so I can determine which is better. ;D

Actually I think you need to go to Montreal and go show up at the two stores in the wee hours after a night of carousing. That was how I was told you decide which one was best. ;-)

I am getting the next best thing tho, a friend is coming back from Montreal and bringing me some from fairmont - but I had to promise I would eat them as soon as he got them to me :-)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:21:55 PM by mcduff »
---------------

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:05 PM »
Few people know that they can be frozen quite successfully. Slice, put in zipper bags, freeze, take out of the freezer and thaw in the toaster.
Francois

Hungry Mike

• Peel Apart
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »
Those bagels really need to be eaten the day they are made though you can freeze them. One trick some bakeries use is to add rye flour to the bagels as it is hygroscopic (holds water molecules from the atmosphere) though not everybody uses it. With just wheat flour it dries out quickly - only good for bread crumbs and toast.  So yeah you just need to go to Montreal! And you can have some poutine!

a friend is coming back from Montreal and bringing me some from fairmont
Don't let the kids eat them and let me have one!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »
you know you can buy fairmont bagels in costco in montreal.

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
you know you can buy fairmont bagels in costco in montreal.

sacrilege  :o  :o  :o
---------------

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
And if you check out their website http://www.fairmountbagel.com/
I think they can even ship them out :)
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 11:38:59 PM »
As I was reading this thread my friend said I would have fairmont bagels in an hour!mike I will save one or two for you!!!
---------------