Author Topic: Detached Darkroom Setup Advice Needed  (Read 1899 times)

Ray Cornett

• 35mm
    • Fine Art Photography by Ray Cornett
Detached Darkroom Setup Advice Needed
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:25:42 PM »
I am trying go get back into film more for my art photography. In the very near future there may be a possible that I would be able to obtain  perhaps a shipping container or the trailer off of the back of a semi or large moving van. My idea is to convert whichever I get into a darkroom on my lot.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so, do you have suggestions for layouts and such. I want the space to be planned out in such a way that I can do more than just normal developing and printing. I want to do various "alt" processes as well.

I know that water access and ventilation are key and that will not be a problem.

If you have such a set up maybe you can post photos of yours?
Fine Art Photography by Ray Cornett -

Bringing a new light to the beauty that surrounds us all - one photograph at a time.

FrankE

Re: Detached Darkroom Setup Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
aside from having built a "regular" darkroom I don't have any advice for you
but am fascinated to see how it works out
make sure to take progress pictures and keep us updated

my general impression with regards to the feasibility, is that I don't see why is shouldn't work
I have seen numerous on-line references, including pictures, to people building dwellings
using shipping containers. Your project would be simpler than those, since you don't need any windows!

good luck with it, and keep us posted….

Ray Cornett

• 35mm
    • Fine Art Photography by Ray Cornett
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:09:05 AM »
Thanks. I am probably just overthinking it. I am sure the main key needs are a water connection, sinks, plenty of counterspace and storage. Plenty of shelving and if tall enough possibly an overhead space for more storage. I just need to make sure the layout is right so I make use of the space as wisely as possible.
Fine Art Photography by Ray Cornett -

Bringing a new light to the beauty that surrounds us all - one photograph at a time.

FrankE

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:31 AM »
ah….
I thought you wanted feedback on the container/trailer issue. On that I don't have any first hand knowledge

if your question relates more to the issue of layout, then I can point you to at least one reference point. I personally did a lot of research from books and web references. There are at least three or four (and probably many more) books written on the topic. Google is your friend…

what I personally found interesting was actually seeing pictures of other peoples real life darkrooms. Here is a thread on the Large Format Forum (LFF) with 58 pages of posts on this very topic. My recollection is that there is a similar thread on APUG you can do a search on their forum for that. In addition to this thread there are numerous other posts on LFF relating to dark room advice. Again their search function should surface those.

here is URL to the LFF thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?56044-Lets-See-Your-Darkroom

and just to add some credibility to my post, your will find pictures of my DR
on page 48 of the thread
post # 473

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?56044-Lets-See-Your-Darkroom/page48

there is another good discussion forum that deals exclusively with film photography that also often has questions/discussions relating to darkroom
construction. If I remember correctly there was a post some time ago by someone who did exactly what you are planning.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk/forum/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
We use containers on building sites for storing materials and the biggest problem I have noticed that could be a problem is condensation

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
I checked and since you live in California, I would strongly recommend you get a refrigerated container. These are well insulated and are most probably the only thing saving you from turning your lab into an oven during the summer months.

For condensation, insulation and good ventilation should take care of the problem. Here in Canada, most of the moisture comes from the ground so unless we have a full blown foundation with drainage, the only way to build to avoid such problems is to build up from the ground.

For a layout, the most useful and nice is usually to have the dry side opposite the wet side. This saves you a ton of steps. I have a linear layout in my darkroom and it works only because it's less than 12 feet long.

For ventilation, put a hood over the sink. It's definitely the best way to save your nose and lungs.

Depending on the size of the container you're going to get, there are so many possibilities!

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
I use the metal shipping containers all the time for my work for storing tools and shipping supplies and such.  They get HOT in the sun, I almost collapsed from heat stress working in one in the South Pacific last year.  People do make homes out of them so there are ways to insulate them.  I had several in Saipan that we loaded cubic yard boxes of contaminated soil into.  When I opened them for an inspection the roof was covered in water droplets and everything was soaked.  Granted, the humidity is extremely high in Saipan and there was moisture in the soil.  Many of the used ones that they sell are being sold because they are no longer suitable for shipping due to dents, corrosion and other structural problems.  They can have leaky roofs, rotted floors and doors that are hard to open and close.  I think you would be better off with an old wood trailer since they will be easier to keep cool.  Some of the old refrigerated trailers may even have insulation in the walls.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
I know I've seen many camping trailers that were gutted and converted into darkrooms. Just make sure they don't smell of rotten mildew, it's crazy bad for the lungs (I have a neighbor who actually almost died from breathing spores).
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.