Author Topic: Why 'ever ready' cases are a really bad idea.  (Read 1065 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Why 'ever ready' cases are a really bad idea.
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »
I have a few cameras which have cases of the 'ever ready' type, but on most of them the front flap is detachable. So as soon as I start using the camera, the flap comes off and goes in the bag.

The case on my old Ilford Sportsman camera (1962) isn't detachable though, which is a Bad Thing!

I have to remember to either take it out of its case (but then there's no strap) or use my lower fingers on my left hand to hold the flap back. Anyone else had any case related disasters they want to own up to?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:42:53 PM by AJShepherd »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Why 'ever ready' cases are a really bad idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
I just hate those cases!
And the worse thing is that I have a few cameras that don't have lugs for my strap so I'm stuck with them.
I might just drill out the rivet that holds the front part...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

minicoop1985

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »
Now THAT sucks. Those cases are just irritating... The strap on the one for my Hasselblad broke, sending it flying into my car's rear passenger doorsill and left a pretty good sized dent (larger than a quarter)... which earned the camera the title "Blad the Impaler."
Many rolls of film died to bring us this information.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
The only camera I ever used a case on was a Leica M6TTL in really sweet condition.  That had a "Luigi" half case attached - which protected the base plate and back and, because it had a padded "grip" on the right-hand side, actually improved the ergonomics. 

As I have never been someone who shoots roll after rool of film in the hope that I'll get a couple of good ones out of 100 shots (I know my photos are crap, so I might as well save the money) it never got in the way or slowed me down much.

I have a case on my Exa but it is removed whenever I want to shoot as the ones with a "front" are sharp, stabbing pain in the trouser region..... :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
I have a leica case on my IIIa. I usually only use it for storage though I find that the case can make contact with the lens - and since I have a super soft summar, that's not ideal.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
I keep the case on my grandpa's Leica. It holds the rangefinder (mine's a 1C with separate rangefinder) and I still have the lens cap for its Elmar.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
I'm coming to actually like shooting with half-cases in place, and full cases are good for protection during transport, but the non-detachable front sections are really annoying. This thread reminds me to investigate replacing the rivets with snaps so the fronts can be removed.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/