Author Topic: current must see Photo exhibits in London, Glasgow & Paris  (Read 1260 times)

FrankE

I know this board is more Europe centric than North America focused
and wanted to get some feedback on possible photo exhibits to see

we are planning a UK trip with a stop in Paris also
won't bother you with our full itinerary (part of it is a tour)
we are leaving here next week

I should have time in three cities which some on this discussion board
will be familiar with and wanted to know if there are some "must see" photo exhibits I should try to get to
will also do some more "google research"

the three cities I would like feedback on our London, Glasgow and Paris

early google research tells me that in Paris there is a Robert Adams exhibit at the Jeu to Paume and a Cartier Bresson exhibit at the Pomidou
haven't looked up Museum European de Photographie yet…

thanks in advance for the feedback

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: current must see Photo exhibits in London, Glasgow & Paris
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
Frank,

(LONDON) If you can get there before 1st June, check out the David Bailey retrospective at the National Portrait Gallery (Trafalgar Square).  It's £12 to get in but there's 250 photos and it's a superb show in my opinion (but I've always been a Bailey fan). There's a Harry Callahan exhibition (90 photos) on at Tate Modern (on opposite side of the Thames from St Paul's Cathedral) until 31st May.

Both are well worth the visit.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

FrankE

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
thanks for the information

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
I had an hour to spare and popped in to see this exhibtion today - well worth getting to if you are here in time
http://www.beetlesandhuxley.com/exhibitions/steve-mccurry-afghanistan.html

FrankE

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
thanks Irv

Maljac

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
Hi, HCB is a must. Catalogue weighs a ton, but you can buy it online. Museum European de Photographie: Martin Parr's view of Paris, (as you would expect) Bruno Mouron/Pascal Rostain, 'Famous' (pap pics), Luciano Castelli 'self portraits' (bit weird). Fouad Elkoury (interesting 3 screen room, only 2 screens working though when we went) Barbara Luisi (missed those, they were by the cafe which is never open), Jean-Michel Fauquet, down stairs, lots of work, hugh commitment but ultimately unmoved). Good to go for the crack though. Not technically photography, but video. But the Bill Viola in the Galeries Nationales du Grand Palais is amazing. Love Paris.
Cheers

Mike Crawford

• 35mm
    • mike-crawford.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
Really recommend the John Deakin exhibition at the Photographer's Gallery in London.
http://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/john-deakin-2

Fascinating show on the photographer's work highlighting his relationship with bohemian 1950s (and before) Soho. The Deutsche Börse prize is on too which usually results in argument on who should have won! The cafe and bookshop are well worth a bit of time too.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:19:07 PM »
Really recommend the John Deakin exhibition at the Photographer's Gallery in London.
http://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/john-deakin-2

Fascinating show on the photographer's work highlighting his relationship with bohemian 1950s (and before) Soho. The Deutsche Börse prize is on too which usually results in argument on who should have won! The cafe and bookshop are well worth a bit of time too.

Thanks for the heads up on that, Mike.  I find the Photographer's Gallery a bit hit and miss.  Some good stuff but a fair bit of faux-tography labelled as "art".  This one looks really good.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:25:13 PM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

FrankE

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
Arrived in London, getting over the jet lag, and now trying to figure out how many venues our schedule (and the wife ) will permit. Thanks again for the many good suggestions.

FrankE

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
We'll here is a report after London day one. 

My wife wanted to go to the British National Library which is always a fun place to take pictures. I was hoping to again visit the store Photo Books International on Judd Street afterwards and was disappointed to discover that they appear to have gone out of business. Checked their web site to confirm that they hadn't simply moved and it is no longer functional.

I did get to the Photographers Gallery. What a great venue. Enjoyed the various exhibits in particular the Deakin show. Prior to leaving Toronto I had been to the Art Gallery of Ontario where they were showing the Bacon and Moore exhibit, which incidentally also includes some wonderful Bill Brandt vintage prints. Anyways as those who have seen the Deakin exhibit know it includes numerous pictures of Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud which made this exhibit that much more enjoyable.

I also got to the Beetles+Huxley gallery to see the McCurry exhibit. So much to like about that one also. We should all be able to shoot like that.

Ironically the highlight of the day for me was in the bookstore at The Photographers Gallery. I have been wanting to get a copy of Pentti Sammallahti's monograph "Here Far Away" based on the reviews. I had not actually seen the book. We'll in my opinion it is the best photography book ever printed!

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
Glad to see you got a couple of the exhibits in Frank. I hope you didn't get drenched in any of the heavy showers, like I did >:(