Author Topic: A Short Film about the Photographic Process  (Read 3722 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
A Short Film about the Photographic Process
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Abdul Hye

Re: A Short Film about the Photographic Process
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:22 AM »
Interesting metering technique at the beginning.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »
I liked it too. Stupid comments though.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »

It was a cloudy day, it doesn't matter how you measure light.  :)
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:52:24 PM »
I liked it too, but there's also some things that I saw that would be a no no. But we're all different, if the end result is pleasing then who cares what the technique is.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
hipsters make me dizzy

(but bless them for using film)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 03:45:15 PM »
Dont make me remind you that you're in the place hipsters were born!

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Sorry but I found the juddering editing really annoying.

Abdul Hye

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 06:19:02 PM »
Looks sunny to me, but if works for her so be it.

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 01:41:57 AM »
I do like this.

Beat of film photography on Vimeo
Me too, thanks for posting. And re the comment on metering: not sure but was the photog. just checking the reading stored on the meter not taking a reading?

Dave.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:41:44 AM »
if she's incident metering in her own shadow then I can say that I do that sometimes. works.
/jonas

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:06 AM »
Only watched for a few seconds then turned it off. I could not stand the spastic jerking of the presentation. A bit too arty farty for my taste. For educational purpose I would like to see a well done, step by step presentation, with narration using clear speach with no slang, course language, or stupid jokes. In an instructional video I do not need loud music competing with the narration.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
Only watched for a few seconds then turned it off. I could not stand the spastic jerking of the presentation. A bit too arty farty for my taste. For educational purpose I would like to see a well done, step by step presentation, with narration using clear speach with no slang, course language, or stupid jokes. In an instructional video I do not need loud music competing with the narration.
Oh dear that means we'll have to dump all the FW podcasts then... ;)
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
I feel a little bit of responsibility in that...  :-\
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:58 PM »

John - I don't think it was intended to be educational or instructional, more inspirational. Apologies I don't know how old you are but I think the Lomo target audience is generally people in their teens / 20s maybe 30s and for them I think it hit the right tone (for me as well as it happens).

As you showed the attention span on the web can be short. As they wanted to show the whole process by necessity the editing needed to be fast. I applaud anyone who's getting off their butt and making something whether it be a short film or the young guy featured who's shooting film, developing and printing his own stuff.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
Apologies I don't know how old you are but I think the Lomo target audience is generally people in their teens / 20s maybe 30s
Ehm! Ehm!.... forties  :o

I do have a bunch of their cameras and stuff. I just don't use them as "intended" ;)
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
I am 65 and as you as you can no doubt tell I have not much regard for the modern herky jerky movements in videos that seem all the rage today. Movies, documentaries, advertizing, etc are now infected by this. Sometimes it is combined with background music so loud you cannot make out the narration. Am I the only person who dislikes this?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
What I actually hate is the sound effects in movies. They're all way too loud!
Do people actually make so much noise with their utensils when they eat?

I actually discovered that they probably use audio compression on the sound effects to make them as loud as possible.

Also, I'm still wondering what it is with these orange and blue enhanced scenes?
Francois

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
Whatever happened to the lot who made those videos about film photography where they drove everyone nuts shouting "Ossum!!" and having a group hug every ten seconds?

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »

John - I don't think it was intended to be educational or instructional, more inspirational. Apologies I don't know how old you are but I think the Lomo target audience is generally people in their teens / 20s maybe 30s and for them I think it hit the right tone (for me as well as it happens).

As you showed the attention span on the web can be short. As they wanted to show the whole process by necessity the editing needed to be fast. I applaud anyone who's getting off their butt and making something whether it be a short film or the young guy featured who's shooting film, developing and printing his own stuff.

Completely agree with Nigel here as to the intended purpose and audience of this "film". I don't think most of us (not even Francois! ;) ) fall into that category.

As a musician, I do like the fact that they used samples of the shutter click and advance as the track's "beat". Although I'll be honest here and say (much to the consternation of Mr Robinson I'm sure!) that I would've taken it even further and created more of a heavy drum and bass beat (and heavily compressed the track, sorry once again Francois!! I do hate audio compression in general, but for dance music, it is what is expected from the genre!)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
Whatever happened to the lot who made those videos about film photography where they drove everyone nuts shouting "Ossum!!" and having a group hug every ten seconds?
Well, they used to come out with a production every summer. But I haven't heard anything from Framed Network in over a year... We'll probably be relieved from the show from now on.  ::)

I do hate audio compression in general, but for dance music, it is what is expected from the genre!)
Well, it's been used on pretty much every dance track for so long.
But check this out, I'm sure you'll find it quite interesting
http://media.npr.org/assets/music/news/2009/12/poster2.pdf
Francois

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 03:42:01 AM »
I knew it was an "art" video. Not my cup or tea. I do like well done eductional and documentary videos but even many of them have been infected by jerky editing and loud background music.

Don't know how much consternation it would cause Mr. Robinson. But it wouldn't cause much for Mr. Robison, I just turn them off.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 03:52:01 AM »
So simple, so wonderful.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
Don't know how much consternation it would cause Mr. Robinson. But it wouldn't cause much for Mr. Robison, I just turn them off.

Oops, sorry, I'll read usernames more carefully before calling them out in my posts!  :-[

And thanks Francois, that was indeed fascinating!

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 10:26:36 PM »
John, I'd hazard a guess you are not part of the audience the piece was aimed at. The future of film photography is largely with the 18-30 age range and if the video gets some people interested in trying film and even getting into a darkroom then I applaud it. As to educational how-to videos, I suspect even the most soberly produced one would be a lot less useful than just getting in there and doing it - and learning by the mistakes you make on the way. Think of this one as a commercial for the idea of working with film.
Just my 2 cents worth as someone who teaches B&W darkroom (part time studies, majority - although certainly not all - of students 18-30 age range).

Dave.