25/05- Bank Holiday Weekend
1 (5.6%)
31/05
3 (16.7%)
01/06
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 21, 2014, 12:05:36 AM

Author Topic: Date of Spring 2014 Walkabout  (Read 3410 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Date of Spring 2014 Walkabout
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »
As per note on the "venue" post, I've had a word with Leon and, as so many FW's are otherwise occupied on 26/04 and / or 27/04, here's an opportunity to vote for the Saturday or Sunday which suits you best.  Please bear in mind that there are Bank Holidays in the UK on the 5th and 26th.  I've left the venue unaltered.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: Date of Spring 2014 Walkabout
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
I don't want to rock the metaphorical boat, but I could make a few of those dates. Is it possible for the poll to include all the dates we can make? Otherwise you could have ten of us each picking different dates. Maybe you could find out who's interested and then use Doodle?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »
Is it possible for the poll to include all the dates we can make? Otherwise you could have ten of us each picking different dates. Maybe you could find out who's interested and then use Doodle?

Your suggestion makes sense but, sadly, I am a techno-numpty.  I've had a look at editing the poll and there doesn't seem to be an option to allow people to vote more than once.  Leon or one of the other mods might be able to help.  Wot's a "Doodle" when it's at home......?

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »
Is it possible for the poll to include all the dates we can make? Otherwise you could have ten of us each picking different dates. Maybe you could find out who's interested and then use Doodle?

Your suggestion makes sense but, sadly, I am a techno-numpty.  I've had a look at editing the poll and there doesn't seem to be an option to allow people to vote more than once.  Leon or one of the other mods might be able to help.  Wot's a "Doodle" when it's at home......?

Sorry Paul, Doodle's a simple free service you can send to those who are interested.

http://doodle.com/en_GB/

You can either tick 'yes I can make it', 'no I can't' or I think there's a 'not first choice option'. It would give a list of the possible dates and who can make which.

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »
All users may got up to 10 times now.
L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
I've already voted, so it won't let me have another go. I'm off on holiday as of tomorrow so I'll be offline. I think I can make most of the dates proposed. Not sure about the BH's they're generally family time.

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Bumpety, bump.......  Decision day, today folks........ :)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
so ... what happens now?
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:05:54 PM »
Well, my suggetion is that you (as moderator / part owner) get to make an executive decision on which of the two most popular dates is the one we go with.

As for destination, I think Oxford was the majority choice.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
Right chaps, we need to move this thing along.

I suggest as one of the two most popular dates is now a week away, and we've proved not be not exactly speedy when it comes to making arrangements, we settle on the other most popular date of SUNDAY 1 JUNE. All those in agreement say 'aye'.   :D

I think we've already agreed on Oxford, so we're 3/4 of the way there. I've only ever been to Oxford once in my life, and that was many years ago, so I'm no help in suggesting where we can meet, park, drink coffee (actually quite important),  shoot, eat lunch, drink beer etc. Who here can chip-in in that regard?

website

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
01/06 works for me, so I say "Aye".

Hopefully, many others will do likewise.....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »

I think we've already agreed on Oxford, so we're 3/4 of the way there. I've only ever been to Oxford once in my life, and that was many years ago, so I'm no help in suggesting where we can meet, park, drink coffee (actually quite important),  shoot, eat lunch, drink beer etc. Who here can chip-in in that regard?

Despite living down the road not sure I'm the best person to suggest anywhere as I try to avoid Oxford as much as possible. But if Nasir pops his head up I'm sure he will be able to help. Otherwise I'll see if I can come up with a few suggestions.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »
Just found out about this. It's a series of exhibitions relating to analogue/LoFi photography. One of which will be on in Oxford at the time. Not much detail available but maybe something to try and build into the schedule.

http://www.thejamfactoryoxford.com/arts_centre/exhibitions/exhibitions_in_the_pipeline/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:02:26 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
Here's another suggestion.

"Sunday 1st June 2014 - Far and Wide Photography Exhibition
A free exhibition featuring stunning wildlife and landscape photography from two talented Oxford Photographic Society members will be on display in Café 1071 throughout May. Visitors can browse the photography whilst enjoying refreshments in the picturesque café overlooking the historic castle yard and can even take the artwork home with them as they will be available to purchase.
Open 10am to 5.30pm daily. The exhibition will be held in Cafe 1071 and will be FREE
Oxford Castle - Unlocked, 44-46 Oxford Castle, New Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 1AY"

I'm not suggesting that we all go to Oxford to see this exhibition but, as they do food and drink, are based in a castle (possibly of photographic interest) have toilets and shelter, it might be a good place to start.

Oxford also has a good selection of park and ride options:

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/parking-park-and-ride-sites

I think this is useful because (a) Oxford is not very car-friendly and (b) it is a lot cheaper to park and ride than pay £7.50 and upwards to park for the day and (c) risk having to navigate the city until you find somewhere. On Sundays, most park and rides are open from 08:30 to 09:00.  If we want to meet even earlier, we might have to have a re-think.  However, if it's a town-based shoot and we're travelling a distance, a 10:00 meet might be a bit more civilised.

Hopefully, people don't think I'm trying to hijack this thread.  I'm just making suggestions to try to make sure that the get-together actually happens.  I'm more than happy to go with any workable alternative,
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:48:35 AM by Late Developer »

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
Hopefully, people don't think I'm trying to hijack this thread.  I'm just making suggestions to try to make sure that the get-together actually happens.  I'm more than happy to go with any workable alternative,

That's not hijacking at all Paul. We need some suggestions or we won't get anything arranged.

It would be good if those who are interested in coming could drop a note in this thread, so we have an idea of numbers?

website

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »
Count me in!  8)
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »
I think you can count me and Mrs R in as well. It's in the diary anyway.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 04:55:44 PM »
Parking: As Paul said, it's expensive. For 4-6 hours in one of the central car parks it's £12 - £14. If you do decide to drive in then I would suggest the Westgate car park. It's one of the (slightly) cheaper ones and is large and, on a Sunday, there should be no problem getting spaces. It's also close to the centre. The train station is close to the centre if anyone considers arriving by train a viable alternative.

To see/Lunch: I think a walk from the Castle through the town centre, passing Carfax Tower (you can climb it if you want), Sheldonian Theatre, Hertford bridge, Radcliffe Camera then out to Magdalen Bridge would give a good flavour of the place. At Magdalen Bridge there's the Botanic Gardens and punting (you won't get me in one). From there you could go further out to Cowley Road / St. Clements where there is a couple of pubs quite close (The Cape and Angel) or go further up the Cowley Road which has a  lot of different food places. Or could go back towads town along Merton St. and end up at The Bear. I think finding somewhere to eat might be an issue as it will be busy I'm sure. Might be worth trying to book something.

Just mention another couple of pubs which are en-route if we think doing the above before lunch will be too much: The Turf Tavern and the Kings Arms.

Any thoughts?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Have to confirm that I definitely cannot make it this time - classroom inspections, observations and an interview all in the same month, and I'm just back from 10 days away and don't even know if I'm waving or drowning ...  :(

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Any thoughts?

Peter - are you coming on Sunday? We could talk about it then.

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »
Any thoughts?

Peter - are you coming on Sunday? We could talk about it then.

Seems unlikely at the moment.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
Sorry all. A multitude of things have kept me away from the forum for a while. Glad something seems to be in the offing for this. I'll be at the 'graphica tomorrow so we can catch up about it then.

C yah.
L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
... erm... Leon, weren't you going to say something ..... :D

website