Author Topic: Canon A1 DIY repair help  (Read 1015 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Canon A1 DIY repair help
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:53:04 AM »
A little while ago i posted a thread about sending a camera away to be repaired, however since then I've lost my job so funds for camera repairs are no longer available.

Seeing as i have a lot of spare time (in between job hunting and doing my 5 yearly reassments) I've decided to diy it.

One of the cameras was easy, i have fixed the cough with some fishing reel oil, non solvent, constant viscosity, lightweight and free. 2 rolls later and it seems perfect.

The other one with high current drain is the one I'm struggling with, i have a "spare" body i have used as practice to strip, not too bad to do as it happens but this one also has high current drain however i cant see any obvious shorts on the board

Does anyone know or have first hand experience with what actually goes faulty when they start eating batteries? I thought it would be simple enough as the spare body only started draining batteries after i was caught in the rain with it

I don't want to strip the other one until i have some idea what needs repairing

imagesfrugales

• Sheet Film
  • coffeewaster
    • The Caffenol Blog
Re: Canon A1 DIY repair help
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
Hi Kayos,

I also have 3 A1 bodies, yes the "cough" is easy to fix. One has the batterie-drain-desease and I put it aside for spare parts. I couldn't find any suitable info how to fix it. But I destroyed the AV/TV-select lever by faulty reassembling and then trying to move it in the right position with only very little force. A tiny piece of plasic broke. Since then I move the lever only very carefully on the 2 working bodies.

Good luck - Reinhold

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Re: Canon A1 DIY repair help
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »
Ive had one with a faulty AV/TV lever as well, i used the exploded diagram in the sevice manual for that.

Im going to try and wade through the manual to see if its any help but its a long shot