Author Topic: The duck's comment on digital photogaphers?  (Read 3247 times)

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
The duck's comment on digital photogaphers?
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »
Every now and then I browse "What the Duck" http://www.whattheduck.net and while they don't all work for me, this one did.
I refuse to say if I have actually met this sort of photographer, just in case one of them is reading this  :-X

[attachment deleted by admin]

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
Re: The duck's comment on digital photogaphers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:17:59 AM »
On a (sorta) related topic - can any of my fellow UKites explain that 'Britain in Pictures' series on BBC4?  It seems to me that the BBC - in the persona of an annoying and slightly sinister man in a floral cravat - has recommissioned a series on its minority arts channel dedicated to forcing film photographers to go digital.

I've watched a couple, and I'm baffled as to the point of it.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:25:25 PM »
On a (sorta) related topic - can any of my fellow UKites explain that 'Britain in Pictures' series on BBC4?  It seems to me that the BBC - in the persona of an annoying and slightly sinister man in a floral cravat - has recommissioned a series on its minority arts channel dedicated to forcing film photographers to go digital.

I've watched a couple, and I'm baffled as to the point of it.

I've seen a few, I guess they are repeats as the website isn't coinciding with the programmes? Personally, I enjoyed seeing the photographers work, hearing their thought processes and found the focus on buildings/architecture interesting. Some great images too, I loved Jo Broughton's pics of East Anglia for instance.

However the digital bit was a bit tortuous if you have an interest in the subject (photography). The notion that these excellent photographers have never picked up a digital camera is just not believable. I guess if there is a point around the digital bit, it's that the BBC can get a lot of free material downloaded by Jo Public for the website. Community involvement etc. I think it would take a while to access the same level of material from film users (although when they did it first time around you could upload images taken with film to the webiste). I though the BBC were treading a fine line with their 'impartiality' and at times it seemed like a big knees up for product placement.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »
They're showing a new series now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/britain/programmes/bip5.shtml

It was programme 4 last night.

I agree about the interest being in watching them work, and seeing some interesting places, but that would have been the case without hobbling these poor souls by giving them unfamiliar cameras.  If it's supposed to be a programme about following some of Britain's top photographers as they work around the country, then fine.  If it's a programme about how to take consumer level cameras and get professional results, then fine.  But what this seems to be is some sort of mixture of the two - so you end up getting worse photos from the pros, and not really much of use to amateurs.

It's not the digital angle that bothers me so much (although Mr Digital Evangelist Floral Cravat Man does), but rather that there's so little photography related programming on TV and this is the best we get.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 03:30:24 PM »
speaking of digital being forced upon us... anyone ever click on flickr's 'popular cameras' link? and it's just basically advertising for  10 digital cameras. they do compare each camera's popularity...to the other 9 on the list. and, of course, handy links to buy the digital cameras. kinda made me grimace a bit.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »
speaking of digital being forced upon us... anyone ever click on flickr's 'popular cameras' link? and it's just basically advertising for  10 digital cameras. they do compare each camera's popularity...to the other 9 on the list. and, of course, handy links to buy the digital cameras. kinda made me grimace a bit.

from what i've read the reason for that is that the camera list comes from the exif data. most film cameras don't have instant exif data. but there are some programs out there that allow you to edit such info so that you can add it manually and eventually film cameras would be included in the list, at least in theory.

william

there's a thread on this here.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 06:23:10 PM »
most film cameras don't have instant exif data.
unless you have a very small person with a flashlight inside the film chamber to write camera information on the film :)
but there are some programs out there that allow you to edit such info so that you can add it manually <clip>
We want names :)
Most of the ones I came across handle ITPC data (which is good only for copyright information ans sorting)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:47:16 AM »
If it's a programme about how to take consumer level cameras and get professional results, then fine.

I haven't seen the TV show David, but I sympathize- arts programming is bleak here down under too. On the second of your suppositions- and we've all heard the naive but insulting "hey nice picture, what sort of camera do you use?"-  the duck says...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:55:51 AM by db »

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 04:52:31 AM »
most film cameras don't have instant exif data
but there are some programs out there that allow you to edit such info so that you can add it manually
We want names :)
Most of the ones I came across handle ITPC data (which is good only for copyright information ans sorting)

maybe you missed the link i posted.  here it is again. there are several programs listed in it. i've not used any of the programs but it's probably a good place to start.   

william

bobf

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 02:35:56 PM »

<snip>
Drat - I thought they were repeats of the previous series so didn't bother watching  - Ah well, no doubt they will be repeated ad-infinitum over the next 6 months.

In the last series, I thought it particularly evil to give Joe Cornish the camera-phone ;) ...

Bob.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 12:06:43 AM »

<snip>
Drat - I thought they were repeats of the previous series so didn't bother watching  - Ah well, no doubt they will be repeated ad-infinitum over the next 6 months.

In the last series, I thought it particularly evil to give Joe Cornish the camera-phone ;) ...

Bob.

Yeah, to be fair I did get a laugh out of that!

cwilk

• Mostly Monochrome
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 02:15:17 PM »
Every now and then I browse "What the Duck" http://www.whattheduck.net and while they don't all work for me, this one did.
I refuse to say if I have actually met this sort of photographer, just in case one of them is reading this  :-X

I hate people who quote their megapixels at me.