Author Topic: Dry Mount Question  (Read 1163 times)

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
Dry Mount Question
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
I am trying my hand at dry mounting some ink jet prints I had made at a local printer. They are archival prints if that matters. I am trying to mount them on foam core with a hand iron. Unfortunately, I am having some trouble. Everything was perfect, but the corner of this one was not quite adhered, so I pressed it for a few more seconds. Then I lifted the parchment paper and this is what I saw! Does anyone have experience dry mounting that can help me trouble shoot this? It isn't a scratch. There is no 'texture' to it whatever. It's almost like it is part of the print, but it didn't start out that way.

Thanks,
James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
Re: Dry Mount Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:50:45 PM »
I dry mount my own prints - but I use a dry mount press. They are all fibre based darkroom prints. When I talk to the guys from the framing shop where I buy my tissue and other supplies they always tell stories how they ruin "new" artwork because the print materials simply don't withstand the heat.
I've no idea how to fix this, but my advice would be to stay away from "hot" pressing and use self-adhesive mounting tissue.
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 12:01:33 AM »
Thanks Andrej,

When I search for "self-adhesive mounting tissue" I get 1 inch wide rolls. Is this what you use? Do you just mount around the edges? That seems like it would buckle with changing temp and humidity. If you can link me to what you use and maybe a little tutoring, that would be great. Thanks.

James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
Re: Re: Dry Mount Question
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:28:16 AM »
Thanks Andrej,

When I search for "self-adhesive mounting tissue" I get 1 inch wide rolls. Is this what you use? Do you just mount around the edges? That seems like it would buckle with changing temp and humidity. If you can link me to what you use and maybe a little tutoring, that would be great. Thanks.

James

Hi James, mine is one meter wide, and as you say, mounting only the edges would not be a good idea.  I'll try to find a link to the supplier or manufacturer.
Anyway, how large are the prints you need to mount? If they are not to big I could cut some of the stuff and mail it to you so that you can try it before buying larger amount.

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk

Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 03:27:30 PM »
The thing is that inkjet prints have a special coating to encapsulate the ink and prevent it from smearing. It does say on the pack that the paper is not "laser compatible". Now that's not because the laser can't print on it, it's to say that the surface will be damaged by the heat fusion process in the machine and that the surface will prevent the ink from sticking properly (we use this to our advantage when we etch circuit boards).

The best way to mount inkjet prints is to use spray adhesive. 3M makes some specially for photos, it's aptly named "Photo Mount" and it's PH neutral. The stuff sticks like you wouldn't believe and is totally safe on archival prints.

As for the print you have, you should be able to fix it in the old skool way using some spotting ink and a very fine brush.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:02:18 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

FiatluX

• Cookbook chef
    • The Caffenol Cookbook
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
+1 on the 3M Photo Mount!