Author Topic: Call for participation: Shooting one roll of film each weekfor the whole of 2014  (Read 4402 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
I run www.52rolls.net which we started at the end of last year. Everyone made the commitment to shoot one roll of film (or pack of instant film, or ...) each week and we all posted our results on the blog. It's been fun to see what other people did and I'd like to continue with it in 2014. As some of the participants of 2013 aren't going to continue in 2014 I'm currently looking for new "members". It would be great if a few filmwasters would join. It really helped me shoot more and now it's (almost) no effort to shoot a roll each week.

See the announcement here: http://52rolls.net/2013/11/30/52rolls-call-for-participation-2014/

Urban
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:19:32 PM by Urban Hafner »

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Re: Call for participation: Shooting one roll of film for the whole of 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
I'll have a go :)
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

David A-W

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
Sounds good. Have sent an email to the address provided on the website.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
I like the idea, but I'm not sure how well I would be able to keep up sustained production. Is there a limit on the size of the rolls? If I could get away with loading rolls of 12 exposures, I might have a chance of succeeding.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »
There are no hard rules. Use short rolls, shoot 1 sheet of 4x5 each week, etc. Everything is fine by me.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
When I read the title I misunderstood, I thought it was one roll for an entire year. One a week would be too expensive an undertaking for me, film wise, but the concept is interesting. With my favorite 35mm half frame I could see one 72 exposure roll for an entire year, thats one shot every five days!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
When I read the title I misunderstood, I thought it was one roll for an entire year. One a week would be too expensive an undertaking for me, film wise, but the concept is interesting. With my favorite 35mm half frame I could see one 72 exposure roll for an entire year, thats one shot every five days!
yeah, that's how I read it too first. Would certainly be intetesting. Might be able to squeeze a shot for each week on a 24exp roll if going half frame.
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
Funnily enough the concept of a single roll for the whole year (shot at regular intervals) actually appeals to me more than the original idea...although the reasoning behind this is based purely on the fact that I know I'd fail miserably at the latter, but might just pull off the former.

Either way this is a very cool idea, Urban. Well done for last year and all the best for 2014.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »
yeah! tremendous respect for keeping on shooting, Urban. :)
scuze the high jacking of the thread
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »
I would LOVE to have a go at this but I know I will probably have a few weeks where I'd fail to have something ready to go to process / post.  Rather than set myself up for failure, I'll just wish people all the best and keep my eye on postings for inspiration.

If it was a roll per month I could, almost certainly, manage that without any problem.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Call for participation: Shooting one roll of film for the whole of 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
That's why medium format is so nice for this :) 12 shots a week are just so much easier than 36.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
good idea, bit of a twist on a 365 project!

i read the title of the post as its posted . . . 1 roll for an entire year  ???

like many above I doubt if I would be able to keep up shooting a roll per week
although it would probably be the kick in the pants I need . . .

:-\ <

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
I already try to shoot at least a roll a week as it is. I do have a really hard time getting through a 36 in a week though. 12 is good in MF or for those bulk loading out there setting up a 12 exp roll should count too correct?

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
TinTin, yes bulk loading 12 exposure roll definitely counts :) And switching between MF and 35mm, etc. each week as you feel like it counts, too.

And sorry about the title: I was a bit in a hurry and I didn't even realize until now how odd it is :) I'll see if I can fix it.

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Fair play to you Urban and the rest of you guys who take it on.
I don't want to put anyone off but I was in a flickr group that did this with digital a few years ago and after the first few months it was a bit of a slog. In fact I think out of the 40 or so in the group only about half finished, so if you have to shoot, process and post within a week I wish you the very best. I know that sometimes I would take pictures of just anything to be able to post that week
Have fun doing it and don't put yourself under to much pressure, would be my advice.

Cadha13

• Nothing to see here.
    • My Flickr
I am starting to get a 1 roll per week habit on my weekends. My last two weeks have been kind of dry for because my C41 kit is finally exhausted and got really bummed out by that.

Once I get my stuff in order, that'd be a goal to shoot for really.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Yes, a few weeks it was kinda hard, but with just 12 shots it wasn't too bad. And BTW the rule is to SHOOT one roll a week. No one talked about developing, scanning, and posting it. I would be so screwed otherwise ;D

rst

Aha, capture, developing, printing and scanning the prints has not to take place in same week. That answers some questions I had and that makes it much easier for me.

So I am interested and sent email (with some questions I would not have asked would I have read through the whole thread before pressing the send button)  ::)

Cheers
Ruediger

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Hey Rüdiger,

I received your email and you're right the only requirement is shooting the roll. Everything else can happen at some later point. I think it would be just too difficult otherwise.

Urban

rst

OK, Urban, then please count this as an in from my side. Looking forward to this. I once did a similar project with my pinhole cameras where I tried to do a darkroom print every week. That was kind of hard. But now, with a group of people involved, that will most likely make the hard times a bit ... less hard.

Cheers
Ruediger

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
Urban

I'm up for this, to attempt it, at least!  My foraging, begging, and buying over the last two years has left me with 52 different colour films: mostly expired; two-thirds C41, a third E6; some versions of the same films from different eras; some possibly re-branded versions of generic film (I'll be checking the DNX numbers as I open them); many from companies who no longer support their own film; some films I've never used before (e.g. Ilfocolor 100 Plus, Fujichrome 100/1000).

I was wondering about how best to use/waste these, but my plan's coming together, and this seems an ideal opportunity to have a forum for sharing the results. This will prove expensive, but I've no holiday planned until 2015, so I figure it's affordable.  I doubt they'll be posted regularly week by week, but definitely shot week by week and posted in the end.

I'll post a photo of the collected films when I get a chance to shrink it...

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
That's a great idea! Shoot me an email and I'll add you. No problem with not showing them regularly. I'm currently developing roll 7 & 9 :)

johnha

I'm really tempted to try this. If I didn't, it's the kind of project I'd probably wish I'd have started when the first results start being posted. It would have to be 120 though (6x7 perhaps), I can't shoot my way through 36 exposures anymore...

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
That's why I chose 120 for 2013, too. I'm still thinking about 2014. Maybe I'll give 35mm a try.

rst

I also go with 120 trying to do 52 mini-projects. I think no more but also no less than 12 images is a good limitation. And I will try to edit it down to one decent image per film which will be the hardest part as I assume that most of the times the decent image might be the non-existing image no 13  ;)

Cheers
Ruediger

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
I've been having a serious re-think about this, Urban.

I'm gearing myself up to shoot 1 roll of 120 film per week (subjects and cameras will vary - but it should be achievable), so please count me in.  The only snag I envisage is when Mrs. LD and I are on holiday as it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get something ready if we're abroad / away from home.  Is there a "catch up" option?

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
Hey Paul, please send me an email (to contact@52rolls.net) so that I can add you. With 30+ people it would get complicated otherwise. And there is no need to shoot, process, scan, and develop the roll in one week! That seems to be a common misconception. The only thing you have to do is shoot the roll. You can do everything else later. You probably shouldn't do it like me though: I'm seriously behind on developing. Yesterday I developed the rolls from week 7 & 9 :o

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
This may be a good excuse to get the GW690 ive been looking for! Likely won't have cash for it until the new year. I'm afraid to commit to the project. I usually already try to do 1 roll a week (shoot process scan) to I have something for the weekend threads. It's just not recorded or consistent.

Right now I'm struggling trying to get through this roll of 36. It's just too many shots for me!

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Mail sent.

I will give it a try

Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible