Author Topic: New/Updated website  (Read 3106 times)

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
New/Updated website
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »
here - www.milesfromhere.co.uk

Not sure what the etiquette is here, it isn't trying to be selfless selfpromotion - I've never sold a picture to another photographer  :o
But I'm not technically minded and this took me f'ages/  - it's in Joomla, and the menus, slideshows seem to work, works on PC and Mac - anyone know how I get it to resize for iphone etc I know they aren't the best medium for looking at a photo site, but most people do.

mods feel free to move/remove if not appropriate ( it's all on film )

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: New/Updated website
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
Looks great David. Nice clean design etc, and fab pictures as ever.

I find the navigation a bit tricky on my 10" android tablet ... It might be nice to have a live link on the image itself to the next in the series? Just a thought.

There appear to be rogue 'next' test links on some of the Paris shots, which actually take you to the Epic gallery.

L.
L.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
ahhh re the 'next' thing, I think I know how to fix that - ta

Moiz

• Peel Apart
  • Learning my trade
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
I agree with Leon, looks nice and clean and shows off the fab images well. Have tested on a laptop so the next thing didn't bother me but I can see how it would on a tablet. Didn't come across anything rogue but then I didn't spend that long but will inform of any bugs I do find, as and when.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Wonderful photos David. The web site looks great too. Everything worked fine for me.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
Firstly, the photos are fantastic. The site is simple and clean to look at.  The photos make it a real joy to scroll through.

A few comments / suggestions. Bear in mind I'm no expert, I'm just saying what I see / feel when moving around the site:

1. The thumbnails are so tiny, I can't even recognise the image they are portraying. In all honesty, you could do away with them and just let the viewer scroll through.
2. On some (all?) of the galleries, when you get to the first image, there's the option to scroll backwards as well as forwards through the photos. That seems odd to me as I was only expecting to be able to go forwards to the end and back as far as the first image.
3. Basic location detail would be nice on each photo.  Some galleries have it and others don't. These are inspiring photos and people (such as myself) would love to go and have a go at shooting such scenes.
4. I prefer links to open in a new window
5. The news & exhibition dates pages are out of date and what I imagine is intended to be a "link" under the top pano of the pier isn't a link.

All relatively minor stuff as the photos (which is sort of the point) are glorious.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »
cheers Paul, great suggestions, I'll see what I can sort at the weekend

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »
thanks for the input guys

lots of work to make a few tiny changes - but I think its been worth it

thumbnails removed
news and exhibition removed for now, until I get time for updates
pagination and broken links fixed
the 'next and prev' buttons that are ok on a desktop, but annoying on laptop/tablet sorted

still need to sort out some of the scrolling options, which as Paul says can be counter intuitive - watching some joomla vids/tutorials to try and sort that one

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »
Your images are beautiful.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
I thought it was just my work computer with legacy ie and old java. but here at home in chrome too I get problems with the drop down menus getting behind the shots when I scroll down a bit and get that top menu that follows (when it has white background).

just me?
/jonas

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 02:19:42 PM »
I did have neither time nor patience to run through the details, but as an experience I'd say it's very good. The images are beautiful and the utterly simple design fits the images very well - heck, I like it a lot more than my site, which needs to be reworked again... Maybe I'll "borrow" and idea or two... :)

Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
Beautiful pics...

On navigation

- when I go to Galleries and all the sets simultaneously automatically run their slideshows, I find it a bit messy and overwhelming.  Plus it took a long time to load for me.  I would like a simpler gallery page that loads quickly with a sample image from each set (and clicking on the image would take you to the set)

- the navigation arrows move with each image.  They seem to be anchored to the image frame and if the image frame changes, the navigation arrows move.  Your image frames are pretty consistent but not completely, so I found myself clicking as I look at the screen and nothing happens because the navigation arrows moved out from under my cursor.  To me, this is the most irritating thing about some photo websites...

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
I need to sort the buttons, you are right, I only really noticed it when looking through manually. I'm using an autosize function on the backend and think I'll just size them all up this end first - which should sort that. You'll notice that 'Chalk' works fine, as they are all presized at 600x600px.

Won't get fixed until 2014 I'm afraid as the kids are off, so the computer is hogged! Concentrating on getting some larger platinum works finished.

Re - the galleries and slideshow. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that gets it, but its supposed to be more of an experience, a show, an album in the musical sense. I'm forcing you to look at each image (although you can over-ride it with the buttons), to listen to each track.
I used to have the site with thumbnails and click-throughs, but changed it for this format. I like photo-books, settling in a chair, quiet part of the house, maybe glass of wine and thumbing through - a leisurely experience. Thumbs aren't the best way to view my images, so I decided not to have that as an option. I'm not under the illusion that this site is a springboard to loads of print sales, it's more a holding place for people to see what I do.

Thanks everyone for the comments and constructive remarks, very useful.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
BTW if anyone has an idea how to cure the gallery menu drop downs hiding behind the image please let me know - its driving me crackers!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
BTW if anyone has an idea how to cure the gallery menu drop downs hiding behind the image please let me know - its driving me crackers!

Just paid a visit to your site, Dave and I'm not experiencing this at all.

When I get to the "Home" page and hover over "Galleries" the drop down menu (from Overture to Chalk) sits very plainly over the top of the photo of the tree. If I click on any gallery (e.g. Ghyll) the show starts fine.  If I want to move on to another gallery, the drop down menu is just about long enough to reach - and still sit on top of - the photos.

The only thing that I can see that has been mentioned as a minor issue is the slightly "jumpy" button that advances the photos through some of the galleries.

Incidentally, if i makes the slightest difference, I'm viewing the gallery via a 27" iMac using Google Chrome as the browser (whilst also listening to Joe Bonamassa "Live From the Beacon Theatre in New York")  8)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
I noticed the drop-down menu going under the pictures, too, although moving the picture down a bit resolves the issue. It doesn't bother me, but I could see it as something you'd want to fix. Sorry but I have no idea how to do it! :-\

I didn't mind the auto slide-show and I quickly figured out that using the buttons overrides it. The only time I really used the buttons was when I wanted to go back and look at a picture longer. I suppose some might prefer the option to start the slideshow or to just scroll through themselves, though that's such a personal preference and you'd make yourself crazy trying to make everyone happy! I agree that the pictures do lend themselves to a slideshow. I went through one gallery using the buttons, and then reloaded to see the slideshow play at its own place, and it really does immerse you in the flow.

Other than that, the only thing I have to say is that the pictures are just astonishingly beautiful.
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
the gallery menu issue only presents itself on smaller screens - 27" will be fine!

I've got every JB album apart from that one...

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 10:28:55 AM »
very nice display of you work Dave!

i too like the simple look to the site.

one thing to consider is that you want to keep your visitor
on your site to view all of your work, I feel that when all the
galleries load and start their slide shows it does get a bit
messy and can slow some computers etc. [as hookstrapped mentioned]

its a small thing !

anyway nice work and a nice learning curve too i'll bet !  ;)

mono

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Great work, Dave!

I enjoyed lookin through the albums.
Everything works fine here.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:51:56 PM by mono »

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
Website worked perfectly for me in Firefox and Chrome.

Some lovely images there :)
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
I've fixed the gitterbug arrow problem for the first 2 galleries, I'll do the rest when I can.

I'm on really slow broadband here, but the galleries aren't so slow to load. I've got some room to reduce JPEG quality, but when I use my Mum's Macbook with retina display....I don't want to make the files any smaller - that display is brutal and beautiful in equal measure.