Author Topic: Mamiya C220 TLR  (Read 10740 times)

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
Mamiya C220 TLR
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
To date, I have put three rolls of film through my Mamiya C220, with differing results. I’ve used a long expired roll of Kodak (1999), a black and white LOMO film, Earl Grey I think it was and a LOMO colour film, all ISO 400.

Here is an example from the expired film:

This was taken outside Jephson Gardens in Leamington Spa on a fairly overcast day. The colours are, well, a bit odd really, which is to be expected from a film 14 years out of date that hasn’t been stored particularly well, the sky in particular, it was very white but has turned out a sort of woodchip wallpaper painted with magnolia emulsion colour.

A second example from this film is of a canal, taken from the A423 approaching Southam from Banbury:

Again, the sky isn’t right, it has an almost apocalyptic feel about it I think. I would have been much happier with this if I hadn’t caught the barrier in the bottom right, it wasn’t in the viewfinder, so that’s something I learned from taking this particular image.

The next image was taken at Southam Church. I was quite pleased with this one, especially as I was using my Canon Digital SLR as well and took a lot with it, only to find that my memory card wasn’t in the camera, it was at home sticking out of the side of my laptop!

On this one of the church I did manage to frame everything a little better and was becoming a more used to allowing for the difference between what was in the viewfinder and what was actually going on to the film.

My next film through the camera was black and white and I once again found myself at a church, this time in Birdingbury, Warwickshire. The sun was going down and I thought I’d try and see what I could get with my back to the church itself, looking back towards the entrance:

The focusing is out, but I don’t mind that too much as it is in keeping with the light coming through the trees I think.

Here is the actual church, I was hoping for a bit more definition on the shadows from the trees if I’m honest about it, and a bit more contrast, but I could fix that digitally if I really wanted to.

The third film was the fresh colour Lomo film. The following is a picture of my Dad, looking rather stern, which he really isn’t, but he was caught unawares when I took the picture. I was concentrating on framing Dad rather than anything else, which is why the house appears to have fallen over, but I don’t mind that, odd angles are sometimes interesting.

The next is the Bandstand in Leamington Spa, I would probably straighten this one up a bit but all these images are straight out of the camera and show where I need to work on certain things to get better composition, exposure, focusing etc. I’m quite happy to highlight my own shortcomings!

I do enjoy this camera very much, particularly as it is entirely manual. I also really love cocking the shutter rather than having it done for me when I wind the film on, I don’t know quite why I take such pleasure in it, I just do, Also, the ground glass viewfinder is nice and bright, really quite lovely to behold.
I still have a lot to learn to get the best that I can out of the camera, but it has quickly become one of my favourites.
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Mamiya C220 TLR
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
Some really nice photos in that set. Love the portrait of your dad (stern or not) and the one with the apocalyptic sky looking down into the gorge.

I have a C330 - but don't use it as much as I'd intended. However, my usual routine when I get a "new" camera is to run a few rolls of "familiar" film through it - at least to start with. That way, I can see how the output compared to my other cameras when using the same film. My "benchmark" films tend to be Ilford XP2 Super and Kodak Portra 400. Bog standard stuff, I know, but I find them to be very predictable. Consequently, it's easy to pick up on any significant differences. 

The good news with the Mamiya / Sekor TLR lenses is that they appear very sharp - even wide open - and have a little bit less contrast than the lenses I use on my Mamiya 7 and Hasselblad.

I'd love to see more posts as I need a bit of encouragement to lug the C330 around.........
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Some really nice photos in that set. Love the portrait of your dad (stern or not) and the one with the apocalyptic sky looking down into the gorge.

I have a C330 - but don't use it as much as I'd intended. However, my usual routine when I get a "new" camera is to run a few rolls of "familiar" film through it - at least to start with. That way, I can see how the output compared to my other cameras when using the same film. My "benchmark" films tend to be Ilford XP2 Super and Kodak Portra 400. Bog standard stuff, I know, but I find them to be very predictable. Consequently, it's easy to pick up on any significant differences. 

The good news with the Mamiya / Sekor TLR lenses is that they appear very sharp - even wide open - and have a little bit less contrast than the lenses I use on my Mamiya 7 and Hasselblad.

I'd love to see more posts as I need a bit of encouragement to lug the C330 around.........

When it comes to film I have to admit to being rather haphazard, it's a bit of a lucky dip really, whatever is to hand goes in the camera.

I really do enjoy the C220, even though I haven't used it as much as I'd like, though this is partially due to a lot of new(old) cameras arriving over the summer which didn't allow me to focus my attention on just one. I do find myself using my TLRs more than anything else though. Over the past 6 months or so I've built up a Bronica ETRS set-up and haven't even put a film through it yet! Part of the reason for this is my own ineptitude, I thought it didn't work, tried absolutely everything and couldn't get the shutter to fire with a film loaded, it was really frustrating. Then I found the dark-slide and took it out, I felt rather foolish.
verianthomas.com

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »
Verian, this is a really nice set. Thanks for sharing. I especially like #3 of the headstone. I like how we square shooters can ignore the usual rectangular composition rules and make excellent images. You have done a great job with this centered subject. The portrait of your dad is also a stand out. You are right about the odd angle working for this image. It would be less interesting were it perfectly level.
Keep up the good work!

~James
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
Thanks James. Really kind comments  :)

I love the square format, it makes me think differently.

verianthomas.com

rotarysmp

• RotarySMP
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
Glad you are having fun with the TLR. My Dad gave me his Rolleiflex T back in the early nineties and I go through sporadic waves of TLR use. Your wonky verticals are familiar to me. I am pretty crap at keeping any camera straight, but seem to do worse with the Rollei than with others. Lets agree to blame the reverse veiwing thing.

Do you develop and scan your films yourself? I wouldn't read too much into the color of sky or shadows if the films are processed and scanned by a lab. Both B&W and Color neg film have very wide latitude, so you can probably get a lot more information from both the sky and shadows, and setting the white point black point, and white balance while scanning is a can of worms as well.

I didn't realise that Mr Whippi was an an English thing. I thought it was from NZ (As with most kiwi's, I naturally assume everything was invented there).
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:30:03 AM »
Verian - Great post. And your digit*l memory card sticking out of the side of your laptop gave me my first laugh of the day. I would have commiserated with you if you'd taken a roll of 36, only to find that there was no film in the camera (am I the only one ever to do that?), but leaving the camera food in the laptop somehow is very funny.

I've never owned a Mami, but have borrowed a friend's 645 and loved it and I lust after a C330 TLR.
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
Nice set, ive gof a 220 and 330 and 80mm and 135mm lenses and they are nice to use, ill post a few of mine when i get home from work

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:36:50 PM by gsgary »

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
Nice set, ive gof a 220 and 330 and 80mm and 135mm lenses and they are nice to use, ill post a few of mone when i get home from work

Thanks very much. I love the C220, although I just have the one lens. I've been tempted to get more but I rather like restricting myself to what I have with this one (which defeats the object of having interchangeable lenses available I know!)

Verian - Great post. And your digit*l memory card sticking out of the side of your laptop gave me my first laugh of the day. I would have commiserated with you if you'd taken a roll of 36, only to find that there was no film in the camera (am I the only one ever to do that?), but leaving the camera food in the laptop somehow is very funny.

I've never owned a Mami, but have borrowed a friend's 645 and loved it and I lust after a C330 TLR.

Thanks very much. There's a setting on the digital that allows you to continue shooting with the memory card removed, I have absolutely no idea why?!

Personally I would go for the C220 over the C330, they are generally cheaper and essentially, pretty much the same, although the C330 cocks the shutter for you, but I like to do that myself. C220 is lighter as well and they both take the same lenses.
verianthomas.com

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
shot with the 80F2.8 wide open at F2.8 one of my shooting buddies
Ilford FP4 developed in Rodinal all handheld

and a crop

HP5 at iso1600 2hr stand developed in Rodinal

Fomapan 400 developed in Rodinal

look in the mirror

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »
fab shots from you all here :) and an interesting read too!
the mamiya is leaving me curios... I hope to see one in the flesh one day.
/jonas

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:22 PM »
Hi Verian,

great set of photos. I have a Mamiya C33. It was originally my fathers, who used it for professional photography back in the days. On mine some photos are tack sharp and on some the focus seems to be a bit off (to the front im my case). I have spoken with my father about this. He thinks it could be the finder loupe, which is a bit wobbly when you pop it out. I haven't tried yet if this is the reason or if it is just my bad eyesight. Anyway, even on the ones that are not in focus I love the creamy look produced by the Mamiya lenses.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
One of my favourites with the 330

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
Mamiya C220 TLR
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
Love the lone tree and the gal getting her hair done!

---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Re: Mamiya C220 TLR
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
Love the lone tree and the gal getting her hair done!

Cheers

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
Lovely additional images :)

Hi Verian,

great set of photos. I have a Mamiya C33. It was originally my fathers, who used it for professional photography back in the days. On mine some photos are tack sharp and on some the focus seems to be a bit off (to the front im my case). I have spoken with my father about this. He thinks it could be the finder loupe, which is a bit wobbly when you pop it out. I haven't tried yet if this is the reason or if it is just my bad eyesight. Anyway, even on the ones that are not in focus I love the creamy look produced by the Mamiya lenses.

I've been having some focusing issues of late. I do wear glasses and I'm starting to wonder if this is becoming an issue for me as I can have things, as I see them, absolutely pin sharp in the viewfinder but things are often slightly off when I develop them :(
verianthomas.com

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Re: Mamiya C220 TLR
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
Lovely additional images :)

Hi Verian,

I've been having some focusing issues of late. I do wear glasses and I'm starting to wonder if this is becoming an issue for me as I can have things, as I see them, absolutely pin sharp in the viewfinder but things are often slightly off when I develop them :(

I have read about focus problems cant quite remember but i think it was the viewfinder not sat properly

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
Verian, great shots, I especially like the Black and White shot at the church with the sun blasting through the trees.  That's also a great shot of your father.   I have a Mamiya C3 that I've only run one roll of film through so far.  I love the camera and the Mamiya-Sekor 1:2.8 80mm lens.  The camera seems very well built, better than any camera I have ever owned.  The only problem I have is lugging around a 47 pound camera (slight exaggeration).  For me it's almost strictly a tripod camera.  That's why I got myself a Rolleiflex, it's a lot more portable.  I will probably get more use out of the Rolleiflex.  I do have the prism viewfinder for my C3 which I think makes focusing and framing a lot easier than the waist level finder.  This is from the one roll that I have shot with my C3:

Snow at cabin by bac1967, on Flickr