Author Topic: Ronin ja nai!  (Read 968 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
Ronin ja nai!
« on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
A while back I picked up a Yashica Samurai x3.0 half-frame camera off the 'bay.

R0013274 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr
It's a fully auto zoom lens point and shoot, with the main distinguishing features being that it's a half frame camera and it has that weird design that looks more like a video camera than any stills camera you might know.
And it's an SLR. But the viewfinder is tiny and if you're not holding it in EXACTLY the right spot in front of your eye you can't see anything at all. The number of times I had to move the camera around in front of my eye to find the exact right spot so I could see anything was ridiculous.

So having bought a new battery, I slung a roll of FP4+ in it and went out for the day.
There are a few water marks on this run, me being clumsy... Whoops!

littlehampton-fp4-014 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

littlehampton-fp4-019 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

littlehampton-fp4-022 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

littlehampton-fp4-039 by Antony J  Shepherd, on Flickr

Few more on Flickr here.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
Re: Ronin ja nai!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:03:28 PM »
It is an awkward looking camera, but judging from your images it has a decent lens.
I'm very satisfied with my Olympus IS-1000 which is full frame ZLR.
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:44:23 AM »
I've got a Samurai Z.It's a neat camera, certainly interesting from a design perspective, but the fully automatic operation can be a bit frustrating at times. Does yours have the special exposure modes (time-lapse, 5x motion-capture exposure, etc.)?

I've got a roll of Tmax 100 in mine right now to see how the fine grain comes out in half-frame.
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »
Actually if you want to see something out of this world, you have to try it with some Delta3200 !
 :o
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.