Author Topic: More with the Flickr thing...  (Read 69087 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: More with the Flickr thing...
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
Not really surprising when you think about it.
But I'm really wondering what it's going to change on the long run.
I've never been to smugmug so I'll have to investigate.

But at least it's not a property of Facebook like Instagram.... Or at least not that I know of.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
the same date as GDPR, I'm kind of curious if there's any connection ;)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
Well... I must admit it would have been a bit awkward for The Zuck to come out bragging about buying a new toy for his empire...
Francois

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »
So who owns SmugMug? And Flickr must have REALLY been a cash vortex if Yahoo unloaded it so quickly. And again, assuming SmugMug isn't owned by some huge InstaFaceTwit, I'm curious to see the sale price and how much Yahoo lost just on the sale. And what exorbitant price SmugMug paid *just* for a few million usernames and data  ;D

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2018, 02:53:28 AM »
So who owns SmugMug? And Flickr must have REALLY been a cash vortex if Yahoo unloaded it so quickly. And again, assuming SmugMug isn't owned by some huge InstaFaceTwit, I'm curious to see the sale price and how much Yahoo lost just on the sale. And what exorbitant price SmugMug paid *just* for a few million usernames and data  ;D

It's privately owned.  More info here: https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/04/23/smugmug-buys-flickr-enliven-photo-sharing-community/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »
All I know is that Flickr used to be owned by Verizon. They probably had one of those wtf moments after they had bought the Yahoo group... They probably bought it off eBay at 2am after having had a few drinks  ;D
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2018, 11:02:35 PM »
All I know is that Flickr used to be owned by Verizon. They probably had one of those wtf moments after they had bought the Yahoo group... They probably bought it off eBay at 2am after having had a few drinks  ;D

Sometimes I do that.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2018, 04:18:19 AM »

Sometimes I do that.

Reminds me of the "Alexa, buy me something from Whole Foods" meme ;D https://i.imgur.com/mqbmv0d.png