Author Topic: I just picked up...  (Read 841653 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
Re: I just picked up...
« Reply #2850 on: March 06, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »
you can't be unhappy about that!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2851 on: March 06, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
Can't beat Made in Sweden quality.
Just thinking at how satisfying it would be to drive around in an old Saab or an old Volvo wagon with a 'blad...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2852 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:57 AM »
My first Leica:

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2853 on: March 07, 2017, 05:00:17 AM »
Darkroom stuff. by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Most of my new dark room stuff. Printer, timer, safe light and developing tank.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2854 on: March 07, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
My first Leica:

Now you´r in big trouble  ;)
Congratulations, that "rigid" Cron is just superb! Cool thing, it has probably outlived someone by now and it will last your lifetime as well, if you want it to.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2855 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:44 AM »
My first Leica:

Nice! Interesting use of the word "first" in that statement. If you enjoy using rangefinders, I doubt it will be your last.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2856 on: March 07, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »
You won't regret getting one. Just don't shoot directly into the sun or you might burn pinholes into the shutter...
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2857 on: March 07, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
I was saving for an M6, but when this M3 popped up for a good price, I jumped on it. I've always wanted to see what the allure of the Leica was about, and since I couldn't find one to borrow or rent, this is what happened. The viewfinder is gorgeous, the build quality amazing, and it feels better than any of the Japanese rangefinders I've used.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2858 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
I was saving for an M6, but when this M3 popped up for a good price, I jumped on it. I've always wanted to see what the allure of the Leica was about, and since I couldn't find one to borrow or rent, this is what happened. The viewfinder is gorgeous, the build quality amazing, and it feels better than any of the Japanese rangefinders I've used.

The thing with Leicas (and other rangefinders such as Voigtlander Bessa models) is that you need to get the one that offers the bright lines (the viewfinder options) for the lenses you intend using.  The M3 is optimised for 35mm, 50mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses.  You can use wider lenses, but you'd need an external viewfinder that would sit in the accessory shoe.

I've owned an M6 and an M7 and both are excellent cameras.  However, the M3 (and the M2) have (in most Leica users' opinions) the best build quality, along with the MP.  As Francois mentioned, there can be an issue with burning holes in the shutter curtain but, as far as I'm aware, that only happens with prolonged, direct exposure.  I've never had any problem shooting into the sun but I tend to keep the front of the camera covered / the lens facing the ground while I'm walking around with it.

Have fun, use it lots and post the results  8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2859 on: March 07, 2017, 08:48:41 PM »
When you've had a Russian rangefinder and then get a chance to handle a Leica, you quickly see that there's a world of difference!
Francois

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2860 on: March 07, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
When you've had a Russian rangefinder and then get a chance to handle a Leica, you quickly see that there's a world of difference!

My first rangefinder was a Zorki 4, quickly followed by a tired Kiev 4A. The difference between those and the Japanese rangefinders that followed it, starting with a Canonet QL17, was great. The Leica is in an entirely different category.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2861 on: March 07, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »
I know, I have a Fed 5B on which the rewind crank's knob came out and I had the "brilliant" idea to fix it with a drop of epoxy. Now the rewind crank works fine if it wasn't for the small button that won't turn anymore and just chews-up my fingers.  ::)
But at least I can rewind the film without the small knob coming out...
Francois

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2862 on: March 09, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
Spotmatic F....version 2.0

I posted a shot of this camera a few weeks ago in this thread...I shot a test roll and then after hemming and hawing a bit, decided to send it to Eric Hendrickson at Pentaxs.com for a checkup and adjustment.
It came back today and it is such a beauty!
He put in a new mirror damper/bumper, adjusted the shutter speeds, cleaned it, lubed it and put a battery in it. It sounds much better than it did when I put that first roll through it, and I figure it's got at least 50 more years of life left in it.

The half case and the strap were mine from other cameras. I've always been a fan of the black and tan look.
Anyway, I'm a happy camper. 

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2863 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:31 AM »
Got payed for a job the other day, look what happened, broke again  ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2864 on: March 10, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »

Getting paid always creates temptations, eh?

That's a nice camera, the M4.  Is it a "paint" or black "chrome" model?  Aperture has a mint- black chrome model up for £1,590 - so I hope you bagged a bargain!

chris667

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2865 on: March 10, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
I know I said I didn't need more cameras.

But, a Pentax P30n with five lenses in a leather gadget bag for a tenner. It's hardly been used.

I shall keep it to donate to a friend who is interested in trying out film cameras.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2866 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »
I know I said I didn't need more cameras.

But, a Pentax P30n with five lenses in a leather gadget bag for a tenner. It's hardly been used.

I shall keep it to donate to a friend who is interested in trying out film cameras.

Well done Chris!  Wouldn't harm to run a film or two through it first, though - just to make sure it's working properly!!  8)

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2867 on: March 10, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »

That's a nice camera, the M4.  Is it a "paint" or black "chrome" model?  Aperture has a mint- black chrome model up for £1,590 - so I hope you bagged a bargain!

It´s when I feel at my weakest  ;)
It is a "paint" - thank´s for the heads up, I know a friend is looking for the "chrome" version of the M4. At £1,590 it sounds like a good deal, if one can call it that, knowing what premium we pay for a black camera. Mine was priced fair as I bought it from a friend who had it collecting dust.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2868 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »

It is a "paint" - thank´s for the heads up, I know a friend is looking for the "chrome" version of the M4. At £1,590 it sounds like a good deal, if one can call it that, knowing what premium we pay for a black camera. Mine was priced fair as I bought it from a friend who had it collecting dust.

The thing about the M4 is that, physically, it's quite similar to the M6, aside from not having a meter or frame lines for 28mm and 75mm. The M6 isn't, IMO, quite as well built as the M4 but some will accept that compromise to get a meter and 28mm frame lines (as I understand it, the 75mm focal length is about the least popular of Leica's lens options).  I also prefer black paint to black chrome as the chrome version tends to wear thin more quickly and again, IMO, isn't as attractive when brassy.

Now that I have my MP, I think I'd miss a built-in meter and 28mm frame lines - but an M4 is a very fine piece of kit.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2869 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
The thing about the M4 is that, physically, it's quite similar to the M6, aside from not having a meter or frame lines for 28mm and 75mm. The M6 isn't, IMO, quite as well built as the M4 but some will accept that compromise to get a meter and 28mm frame lines (as I understand it, the 75mm focal length is about the least popular of Leica's lens options).  I also prefer black paint to black chrome as the chrome version tends to wear thin more quickly and again, IMO, isn't as attractive when brassy.

Now that I have my MP, I think I'd miss a built-in meter and 28mm frame lines - but an M4 is a very fine piece of kit.

I`m going the other way now, I already have the MP but I prefer the 35mm frames and the "feel" of the M4 and regretted selling my pair of M4´s a few years back.  What I will be missing from the MP is the ability to use the Leicavit and I`m not sure if it would like to modify the M4 to accept it.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2870 on: March 12, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
This was waiting for me when I got home from a project yesterday, a Brumberger #1057 Contact Printer.  It looks like it has never been used, the instruction manual was still with it and the bulbs still work.  It has a red bulb and two frosted white bulbs inside.  When the hood is up the red bulb is on and when it is locked down the red bulb turns off and the white bulbs come on.  I'm going to set it up with a timer. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2871 on: March 12, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
Wow, that does look like it just came out of the factory....
Francois

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2872 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
Really nice looking piece of kit - I love things like that
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2873 on: March 13, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
This was waiting for me when I got home from a project yesterday, a Brumberger #1057 Contact Printer.  It looks like it has never been used, the instruction manual was still with it and the bulbs still work.  It has a red bulb and two frosted white bulbs inside.  When the hood is up the red bulb is on and when it is locked down the red bulb turns off and the white bulbs come on.  I'm going to set it up with a timer.

There you got me googling to see how it works, Looks super nice!

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2874 on: March 13, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
My first Leica:

Congratulations!!!

Cheers!

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #2875 on: March 13, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »

Niceee!!!

I picked up a new to me saunders 11x14 easel for my printing needs. I could never get my test prints to have a nice crisp line. It was really hard to evaluate the exposure. Now with this precision 4 blade deal I my paper isn't going anywhere.

I also installed a new shelf in the darkroom and had a great printing session. Should print some more. It's quite relaxing when things work properly. (also sink is behind me)

Excuse the garbage phone picture.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:26:56 PM by SLVR »

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #2876 on: March 13, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »
Spotmatic F....version 2.0

I posted a shot of this camera a few weeks ago in this thread...I shot a test roll and then after hemming and hawing a bit, decided to send it to Eric Hendrickson at Pentaxs.com for a checkup and adjustment.
It came back today and it is such a beauty!
He put in a new mirror damper/bumper, adjusted the shutter speeds, cleaned it, lubed it and put a battery in it. It sounds much better than it did when I put that first roll through it, and I figure it's got at least 50 more years of life left in it.

The half case and the strap were mine from other cameras. I've always been a fan of the black and tan look.
Anyway, I'm a happy camper.
The Spotmatic SP/ F is the most beautiful SRL in my opinion ;-)

Congratulations :-)

Regards!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2877 on: March 13, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »

Niceee!!!

I picked up a new to me saunders 11x14 easel for my printing needs. I could never get my test prints to have a nice crisp line. It was really hard to evaluate the exposure. Now with this precision 4 blade deal I my paper isn't going anywhere.

I also installed a new shelf in the darkroom and had a great printing session. Should print some more. It's quite relaxing when things work properly. (also sink is behind me)

Excuse the garbage phone picture.

Nice and uncluttered, lovely and simple lab you made there :)
Francois

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2878 on: March 15, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »
......... a Yashica ML 21mm f3.5 and a Nikkor 135mm f3.5 AI-s. I'm filling the holes in my C/Y and Nikon ranges and good glass is sooo nice. I covered most of the cost by selling three cameras last week.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2879 on: March 16, 2017, 07:58:21 AM »
atlast I can summon my inner picasso now that I've got a FED-2! :D
/jonas

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2880 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:29 AM »
That FED looked the part Jonas! I used to have one of those lenses in slr configuration, it was one of my favourite´s. Really nice rendering in that imperfect and charming kind of way.

I have a weakness for Zee Germans! 3.5F Xenotar in good user condition came my way today. Or so I was told. I asked the seller if the shutter sounded ok and if the camera worked fine. The seller replied that all was good. Well, 1s is more like 3 to 5 sec. 1/500 is 1/125. The whole plan of having a good user camera while my other Rolleiflex is gone for repairs kind of failed. Now two cameras needs to be fixed. Patience is not my thing. I could just pretend it´s a Holga and fire away at an indicated 1/500, in reality 1/125, if only for a month or two. No problem with that  :o

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2881 on: March 16, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
That FED looked the part Jonas! I used to have one of those lenses in slr configuration, it was one of my favourite´s. Really nice rendering in that imperfect and charming kind of way.

I have a weakness for Zee Germans! 3.5F Xenotar in good user condition came my way today. Or so I was told. I asked the seller if the shutter sounded ok and if the camera worked fine. The seller replied that all was good. Well, 1s is more like 3 to 5 sec. 1/500 is 1/125. The whole plan of having a good user camera while my other Rolleiflex is gone for repairs kind of failed. Now two cameras needs to be fixed. Patience is not my thing. I could just pretend it´s a Holga and fire away at an indicated 1/500, in reality 1/125, if only for a month or two. No problem with that  :o

Some time ago I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8e. All was Ok, as the seller said, until 1 year later it started to fail. Whatever was wrong was fixed, but the thecnician told me the inside of the camera did not look very nice... just to put it nicely (dust, rusted..). So I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8gx, which works flawlessly, but as many people say is not as smooth. But is reliable, less prone to flair, with light meter, lighter viewfinder, but not so smooth...  :P I need to shoot my Rollei 2.8, what a nice camera.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2882 on: March 16, 2017, 12:33:31 PM »

Some time ago I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8e. All was Ok, as the seller said, until 1 year later it started to fail. Whatever was wrong was fixed, but the thecnician told me the inside of the camera did not look very nice... just to put it nicely (dust, rusted..). So I bought a Rolleiflex 2.8gx, which works flawlessly, but as many people say is not as smooth. But is reliable, less prone to flair, with light meter, lighter viewfinder, but not so smooth...  :P I need to shoot my Rollei 2.8, what a nice camera.

Yea, that happens, but then again, these cameras are half a century old =)
I used to have the FX, liked the light meter and the focusing screen but as you say, it´s nowhere as smooth as the older ones. My favourite of them all are the 2.8c with xenotar, lots of aperture blades makes for super smooth out of focus light points, also when stopped down and the Xenotar has a magic way of rendering. My 2.8F + this 3.5F goes out for service over the weekend, I should probably just get the 2.8c I really want and sell the pair when they come home fresh and serviced.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2883 on: March 16, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »
I had a 2.8F for a couple of years.  Ma gawd, what a neat machine.  But then I had to replace my car ...  :(

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2884 on: March 16, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
I took a gamble on a Nikonos IV-A apparently hasnt been used in water by the previous owner and is in really good nick I've dunked in in the bath and no leaks so hopefully some underwater shots in Barbados to come.
 A hat tip to LD for pointing me in the direction of it.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2885 on: March 16, 2017, 08:48:08 PM »
I've always wanted one of those for rainy weather photographs...
Francois

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2886 on: March 19, 2017, 12:30:41 AM »
Every time I go to an estate sale with my wife and buy a camera I get to watch her roll her eyes, today was no exception. 

This Zeiss Ikon Contina IIa was marked as broken, it's in very good working order other than the slowest shutter speeds and they seem to be coming around the more I fiddle with it.  Even the light meter works.
Zeiss Ikon Contina IIa by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I'm a sucker for unusual photographic stuff so I had to get this exposure meter.  It's a Phaostrom Model A Electric Exposure Meter.  I put two AA batteries in it and it actually works!  It's not going to be very accurate but it is pretty interesting how it works.  You point it at the subject and push a button on the bottom.  Looking into the sight you see two lights, one is the ambient light and one is from the meter.  As you turn the knob on the front you watch the meter light and adjust it until they match in brightness.  Then you take your reading from the dial on the front.

Phaostron Model A Electric Exposure Meter by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

I also picked up two good working Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80's for $5 each.  I like to take my other Stylus snowboarding so now I wont be so worried about destroying one now that I have spares.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2887 on: March 22, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »
King Regula Picca C by Berang Berang, on Flickr

Regula Picca, the poor person's Rollei 35.

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2888 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:36 AM »
Instagram: @_shaken.not.stirred

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2889 on: March 24, 2017, 08:38:45 AM »
nice starter pack of films to get a broad taste, Miguel :)
/jonas

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2890 on: March 24, 2017, 11:21:51 AM »

Thanks! I figured that instead of wasting money on bars, like everyone my age, I might as well waste it on film and learn something from it!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2891 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »

Thanks! I figured that instead of wasting money on bars, like everyone my age, I might as well waste it on film and learn something from it!

Don't neglect beer.  If you're only 25, you can cope with hangovers.  When you get to my age, you can't.  Filmwasterage and a few pints of decent beer is a great combo  :o

MiguelCampano

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2892 on: March 24, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »

Don't neglect beer.  If you're only 25, you can cope with hangovers.  When you get to my age, you can't.  Filmwasterage and a few pints of decent beer is a great combo  :o

More of a Scotch/Bourbon kind of guy... A good Old Fashioned, or a nice neat Macallan 18 (Or Lagavulin 16).

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2893 on: March 24, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »

Quite true. A good beer has become a most welcome companion while I develop film. You just have to make sure you're grabbing the bottle instead of a graduate.

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2894 on: March 24, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
Quite true. A good beer has become a most welcome companion while I develop film. You just have to make sure you're grabbing the bottle instead of a graduate.

This is my #2 concern every time I have a drink with me when I'm developing.

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #2895 on: March 24, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

This is my #2 concern every time I have a drink with me when I'm developing.
;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2896 on: March 24, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
Just breaking the Pilsner wagon ride to show my new acquisition: an 8$ Minox 35EL... and it looks like it's in good nick.
Just have to find an adapter for that dreaded mercury battery...
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2897 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »

They can be worth more with brassing, I love the brass showing through

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #2898 on: March 25, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
Some film! 135 & 120 rolls of Bergger 400. And a super 6x9 contact printing frame as a gift from Sandeha
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

thatguychad

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2899 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
My first box camera! A Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:59:04 PM by thatguychad »