Author Topic: An eBayer's generosity  (Read 3155 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
An eBayer's generosity
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »
Last week I treated myself to a new toy from eBay – a Baldalux 6x9cm folding camera. I've run a couple of films throught it and am awaiting the results with much curiosity (mainly because I could barely see what I was shooting. I'd heard that using these cameras was something of a 'Zen' experience – and I now know what the writer meant!).

Having had a couple of e-mail conversations with the seller, where I needed to ask such basic questions as, 'Umm, how do I fold it back down again...?', I then received a further e-mail from him, saying that seeing as I was obviously a film camera fan, he was putting an Agfa Isolette II and little Gossen lightmeter in the post to me, free of charge! You could have knocked me down with a roll of APX 100.

The items duly arrived today, look beautiful, and I can't wait to get a few films through the camera.

I just thought I'd share this lovely story with you. I now feel I need to do a good deed for someone else in return, to keep the momentum going. And I'm beginning to wonder what might happen if I buy something else. Perhaps a Hasselblad XPan might suddenly be pushed through my letterbox...

astrobeck

Re: An eBayer's generosity
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 04:36:58 PM »
Nice to hear a happy story from an ebay experience.  This makes up for some of the bad ones we have all heard or had bad luck with.

Anxious to see the results of the Balda.   :)
big negatives rock!!!
 :)

dave miller

• An English Eye
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »
I had a similar experience when buying a Balda 6x6 folder from a gentleman from Belfast trading under the name of Beedhams; I suspect it may have been the same person. Enjoy the folder experience Ailsa.
I attach a recent snap I took with mine.

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards
Dave

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34:06 PM »
I had a similar experience when buying a Balda 6x6 folder from a gentleman from Belfast trading under the name of Beedhams; I suspect it may have been the same person. Enjoy the folder experience Ailsa.

That's the one! What a nice man he seems to be.

Like the pic, Dave.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »
I'd heard that using these cameras was something of a 'Zen' experience – and I now know what the writer meant

That indeed is a great story. Something to be enjoyed.

I bought a camera once at a Japanese auction, and the seller apologized to me that I had paid more than he expected it to win, and would then only accept his estimate, not the winning bid price. The world can indeed be a nice place sometimes...

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 02:50:17 AM »

That be very a very interesting composition on a very normal subject. Something special. Nice. Skj.

dave miller

• An English Eye
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »

That be very a very interesting composition on a very normal subject. Something special. Nice. Skj.

Thanks Skorj, it may have had something to do with having just rediscoverd the joys of cyder, about half an hour prior to taking the pick.

Ailsa, I see Beedhams has another 6x9 folder finishing soon, if you fancy a stereo pair.
regards
Dave

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »
I just thought I'd share this lovely story with you.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »
sorry about that, my point was...I bought a durst modular enlarger for £65. The seller had wanted more but he threw in all sorts of other extras like a timer, an easel, paper. Very kind. And last year a lovely old lady artist called Elsie let me have what I wanted from her deceased husbands photo gear as she knew it was going to a good home.

Karma. It does what it says on the tin.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

JOhn Reeves

• Still Working
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:41 AM »
A friend of mine set me up with his deceased uncle's  MINTY Epson R2400 with lots of 13x19 paper & extra ink for 1/3 the retail price of the printer. Astonishing.
wasting film since 2002

Aline

• Aline Smithson Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 05:03:32 AM »
another story...when I bought my Hassleblad on ebay--the seller interviewed ME to make
sure it was the one to sell it to!  Ebayers are for the most part, pretty great!