Author Topic: Norman Jean Roy Thinks Digital Ruined Fashion Photography  (Read 1411 times)

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
Norman Jean Roy Thinks Digital Ruined Fashion Photography
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:04 PM »
Film fashion guy

All power to this guy then. I do like his choice of camera.  ;)

The Cut interview
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

astrobeck

Re: Norman Jean Roy Thinks Digital Ruined Fashion Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:49 PM »
Good interview. 8)

I like what he says about perfection in a photo and how it destroys the image....that's a lot to think about really.

It kinda makes me believe that it's part of the reason young women are so obsessed with being skinny and perfect.  It ruins them in the end sometimes...

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Imperfection is beginning to feel nice when everything you see is so clean and slick.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
A timely find as I was with a group of photographers last night discussing this very subject. Needless to say that I've sent them a link!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »
I appreciate he prefers film over digital, but the pictures speak for themselves. The one of Hilary Swank is conveys such energy its almost freaky. The two of women and animals, Cate's especially are just beautiful.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
I shot a wedding for a friend a couple of weeks ago. She lives in New Zealand and was only over here so that her parents could see her get married (well, renew the vows as she and her husband actually got married in New Zealand the previous week) and she wanted me to use digital.

My photos of the wedding are far from "perfect" in the sense of "staging" the shots - as the bride / groom wanted a more casual record of the days proceedings (everyone was in fancy dress as cartoon characters / super-heroes). However, I'm finding them very clinical and I'm running the more "formal" ones through Silver Efex Pro and/or Lightroom to introduce some imperfection  or "interest" into them.

I agree with Norman Jean Roy and it would be great if film could re-establish a stronghold in the wedding / portrait / fashion world - though the speed and convenience of the digi process might be too tempting for most editors...
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".