Author Topic: Recovering?  (Read 10440 times)

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
Recovering?
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
I just had an SX70 refurbished, and recovered with the light blue leather from Aki-Asahi, and decided to see what else was out there...And I landed at Cameraleather.com

Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with the camera leather on my Yashica 635, but I'm totally diggin this blue get up.

What's your opinion on recovering? I never gave it much thought until I had to send in this SX70, but since this year is the year that I plan to do CLA's on all my "good" cameras, its something for me to think about. Personalize and customize? Or stay original?
Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
Re: Recovering?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
ooh! What about a cobalt blue leather, and chrome Hasselblad 500cm?

(leather shown on leica as example on CL site.)

Christopher

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »
What's your opinion on recovering? I never gave it much thought until I had to send in this SX70, but since this year is the year that I plan to do CLA's on all my "good" cameras, its something for me to think about. Personalize and customize? Or stay original?

That Yashica is screaming for rhinestones!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »
Mmmm. I can see this one dividing opinion.

There are those who either don't mind (or positively encourage) attention from interested strangers....and there are others who prefer to operate in "stealth mode".

I don't mind people coming up and asking questions about the kit I'm using though, in the great scheme of esoteric camera kit, it's not that extraordinary. Equally, I know people who gaffer tape over the Canon or Nikon name plate and even cover up the "red dot" on their Leicas.

Both the Yashica and Leica look fine to me. I don't like the blinged-up gold metalwork Hasselblads for some reason, though.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Just a word of warning folks about CameraLeather.com. Morgan Sparks is either just so snowed under with orders or he's just a very bad businessman, or maybe both. There's lots of bad press about him on the Web, especially over on RFF. My personal experience is he has always taken a very long time to fulfill orders - used to take about a month to arrive in the UK - but now it's pot luck if you ever get what you ordered. I recently (two months ago) ordered new covers for a Yashica D and they just never arrived. No replies to emails I sent him either. So I got my money back from Paypal. If you want to chance it, make sure you use Paypal so you can get your money back. Don't pay him direct.

On the other hand, Rikuo, at Aki-Asahi will respond to orders usually the same day, will ship them out usually within 24 hours and it takes about 10 days to get to the UK. I order from him regularly and have never had reason to complain. My last order was put in on Xmas eve and he still sent them out the same day.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »
Most covers I buy are black. Here's about the most exotic one I've done.

This was one of Rikuo's free samples he sends out with every order to 'practice' with.

(This body's for sale if any one's interested).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:59:24 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

euge...

• Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »
'Most covers I buy are black. Here's about the most exotic one I've done.'

Its what the snake would've wanted, Peter.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
Its what the snake would've wanted, Peter.

It's actually leather with a simulated snake skin finish. Maybe I should have mentioned that for any snake lovers here.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
I don't like the blinged-up gold metalwork Hasselblads for some reason, though.

I do agree! I'm not a fan of the gold stuff.
Christopher

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »

On the other hand, Rikuo, at Aki-Asahi will respond to orders usually the same day, will ship them out usually within 24 hours and it takes about 10 days to get to the UK. I order from him regularly and have never had reason to complain. My last order was put in on Xmas eve and he still sent them out the same day.

I had my SX70 repaired by Roger Garrell, and he ordered my light blue leather from Aki-Asahi. The leather made it to Roger before my camera did!!
Christopher

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
I think the light blue against a chrome/silver body works well. This is one I did sometime ago.

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
Why not? If the old leatherette is shot, the camera deserves a new skin.

I'm partial to green, dark greens on black particularly, though I must admit silver cameras do look good with blue skins.

I have recovered three in different shades of green:

R-D1:

Epson R-D1 Verdis gris by Eirik0304, on Flickr

Kalloflex:

Two tone Kallo by Eirik0304, on Flickr

110A:

Lucy with Ektar by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

JPC

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
One I made earlier, it's a corker  ;D

David A-W

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
I used Cameraleather's slate blue on my M2, which I think looks rather handsome:

M2 in Slate Blue by Vidwatts, on Flickr

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
Here's my Yashica D. Just recovered using material from here. They also have a Web site here.

yashica_d by ridgeway photographer, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:39:12 PM by Peter R »

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
I still haven't decided on the 635, but I did get my SX70 back with the new light blue leather, and I'm loving it!

So much so that I think I may do my SX70 model 2 (white body) in the same light blue leather, for a matching set!
Christopher

Info Red

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
How difficult is the process of re-covering a body?  I have a couple of possible candidates to fiddle with if it's not a major undertaking.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
How difficult is the process of re-covering a body?  I have a couple of possible candidates to fiddle with if it's not a major undertaking.

If it's a camera you can buy pre-cut covers for then usually pretty simple. If you can't get them pre-cut then more difficult. Depends on the camera as well. TLRs have lots of bits to cut around. An SLR or a rangefinder would probably be easier.

Info Red

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »
If it's a camera you can buy pre-cut covers for then usually pretty simple. If you can't get them pre-cut then more difficult. Depends on the camera as well. TLRs have lots of bits to cut around. An SLR or a rangefinder would probably be easier.

Thanks for the info.  I have several Yashica Electros as well as a Canonet QL 17 that I might try to re-cover as time allows...  I have a Yashica 44 TLR that needs new covering, but sounds like a bit more of a challenge.  I'll practice on the Canonet first, I think...

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
When I saw the title "Recovering" I thought the thread would be about recovering from some addiction .. such as photography !

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
When I saw the title "Recovering" I thought the thread would be about recovering from some addiction .. such as photography !

It very well could be!  :D I'm currently in the middle of a pre-spring cleaning and GAS liquidation in order to pay off some debt! 2013 will be all about the printing and shooting! NO GEAR!
Christopher

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
One I made earlier, it's a corker  ;D

Cool, and if it falls into the sea..  ;D

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 05:57:45 AM »
did this ages ago. the yellow somewhat matches the open button :D
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
I really like that yellow!

Christopher

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 04:53:45 PM »
I think it makes perfect sense to recover TLR cameras as many services require removing the old leatherette.
tk

astrobeck

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »

It very well could be!  :D I'm currently in the middle of a pre-spring cleaning and GAS liquidation in order to pay off some debt! 2013 will be all about the printing and shooting! NO GEAR!

2013 is all about shooting and printing for me as well....no gear!  I've only allowed myself film and paper in my camera budget this year.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:01 PM »
oh, totally missed this thread before! I'm all for reskinning old cameras and I don't mind funky stuff :)

I've got an offer for new front leather for the yashica 635 I repaired -so that's currently in the pipeline.
currently, I'm thinking about getting some light brown leatherette for my minolta XD. I haven't looked everywhere but I haven't found anything either.
/jonas

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »
xd are very common for recovering, i tend to just buy precut leather unless it is not available. then cut my own
http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/XD/index.php

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:05:42 PM by tkmedia »
tk

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
I did a Konica C35 in Red, then sold it. Camera was really a looker!

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
xd are very common for recovering, i tend to just buy precut leather unless it is not available. then cut my own
http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/XD/index.php
ah, he seems to have more options than when I checked last. good! still no leatherette though :/
I might look into sourcing my own :)

tintin: great shot! got one from the front with the same backdrop? :)
/jonas

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Sold this SX-70 a long time ago, was pretty easy to cover. The Brownie I did with some packing tape

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »
I bought many cameras thinking that one day I would do something like this but never did anything with them... I kind of like keeping the original features of the camera even though is trashed... I think is part of the history of the camera, but I have to say it's quite tempting :)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »
I know it sounds very corny but for a long time, I've been very tempted to use the new decorative duct tape for stuff like that.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.