Author Topic: Plexiglass and Slides  (Read 3328 times)

Kelly.ONeill

• 35mm
  • yup thats me
Plexiglass and Slides
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »
Hey guys I'm currently working on a project that requires me to sandwich 120 slide film between two pieces of plexiglass. I was wondering on mounting the slide to the plexiglass what would be the best solution. I'm thinking either four drops of superglue or epoxy in the corners of the film. Does anyone have any experience with superglue or epoxies long term effects on film or plexiglass?

astrobeck

Re: Plexiglass and Slides
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:49:10 PM »
Is the plexiglass going to be larger than the 120 slide film?  Will it have some open space around the slide?

If the plexi is going to be the same size as the slide, I'd probably just sandwich the slide in it and then use black tape to tape around all the edges to keep the slide film inside.  I don't like the idea of epoxy or superglue because I'd worry about damage to the film.
Super glue might eat the acetate the film is made of...
I'm by no means an expert, but I'd have an anxiety attack about using superglue.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:52:13 PM by astrobeck »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »
you could probably just use a wet mounting fluid and the negs would stay stuck until you removed them. you will never get superglue off of a negative! and it might eat into some kinds of plexiglass. i've been surprised by superglue a couple times, where it is too busy dissolving the surfaces to stick anything together.

http://store.aztek.com/servlet/-strse-Scanner-Wet-Mount/Categories
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
Crazy glue will stick the the film to plexi instantly. But don't think of recuperating it.
If I were to encase a picture in plexi, I would use liquid acrylic (the type that comes with a hardener that is sold in specialty plastics stores) and simply pour it in between two thin sheets. Ideally, you vacuum the whole setup to remove any bubbles. Once hard, you just polish the edges to a clear.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Kelly.ONeill

• 35mm
  • yup thats me
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
Thanks for all the advise guys :) I'm not worried about getting the slide back it is intended to be permanently mounted. I am more worried about, and as was pointed out, the glue potentially melting or otherwise degrading the film overtime. However the idea of using a liquid acrilic or polymer is something I hadn't thought of before. Also the place I am buying my plexiglass from carries similar products. I will have to give them a call and see what they suggest. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
I know that complete encasing is pretty much the best archival method out there. The image is sealed from all the elements, gazes and such.
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Until the acrylic and plexiglass turns yellow with age in 30 years!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »
Actually, it depends on the quality of the product more than anything else.
The newer types of acrylic are incredibly stable and protect very well against UV damage.
My dad has an acrylic trophy that was given to him by the company in the 80's and it's still as clear as when he got it.

Yellowing was mostly for the early plastics like the early Lucites and such.

One thing about Acrylic is that it is more transparent than glass... perfect for a slide.
Francois

astrobeck

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
Yes, UV stable is the way to go!
Let us know what you decide and show us some samples when you can.

You might try laminating a couple of film pieces that don't matter before you paste the real thing together.

Good luck with your project!
Becky

Kelly.ONeill

• 35mm
  • yup thats me
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 07:21:27 AM »
Ya, so I talked to Delvie's Plastics, a local plastics manufacturer in SLC, and I think I am going to try Aristrocrat/Polytex Liquid Glass. Its a two base polymer that you mix and then pour onto the object you want to encase in "liquid glass". Gunna give it a go over fall break this coming week with a terrible negative and some old scratched plexi I have lying around :D I'll be sure to let show you guys how it all turns out  ;D