Author Topic: Stripy scan – pourquoi?  (Read 3684 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Stripy scan – pourquoi?
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »
Nice pic – shame about the scan. Any ideas why this is happening?  ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
Re: Stripy scan – pourquoi?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »
I admit to treating machines irrationally when there is probably a logical technical cause. However, I wouldn't have a clue what that is so I get frustrated and whack the machine in question. This sometimes helps. If not...

Is it happening to all your pics? Have you tried this scan one more than once? Have you checked your scan settings (sometime left in transparency mode or something) I haven't had such severe scanning problems but I sometimes get one line across a scan (Epson 3170). Often resolved by re-scanning.

If all else fails send it to Leon as his mistakes seem to result in cracking images.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:10:54 PM »
may need to open it up and clean the mirrors under the glass. mine scans everything yellow after awhile.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:48:03 PM »
Very strange... it doesn't look like dirt to me... Dust tends to make a single even line in the direction of the scan.

Was the photo scanned vertically or horizontally and rotated?
That could be a big clue.

Also, did you change the USB cable that links it to the computer? These have a ferrite filter on them to remove noise. A standard cable doesn't.

Have you tried scanning with vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com/)?
His software doesn't use the standard TWAIN drivers that come with the scanners and is a great help in troubleshooting stuff.
If you scan with the demo and it gives OK results, you have a driver problem.
If it still looks like before, it could be a scanner problem.

What makes me think it's not dirt is that the artifacts look like colored Gaussian noise...
Could be related to the cable. Also, make sure everything is well plugged in (including the power supply).

Try them in the order that you feel like and keep us posted.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:42:21 PM »
All of what Francois said and re boot.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
astro

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
And today, for some reason (after at least six attempts yesterday), it decides to work...  ???

Perhaps it's because it's warm and the sun is shining. Can't think of any other reason.

('Scuse dust)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »
Nice to see it working, but to add what the others have said, this looks like electrical noise. Either from the scanner head, or perhaps on the cable to your PC. Because of its repetitive nature, the scanner head, or something cycling looks perhaps likely. An inside clean and gentle blow with air on all edge connectors might be an option if it plays up again. Good luck. Skj.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 01:28:56 PM »
Thanks everybody. I'll certainly follow all tips if it happens again.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »
I am wondering if you live in a place where the climate is damp?

This is because one of the most often forgotten aspects of electronics failure is related to oxidizing connectors. The power doesn't flow freely anymore and you get lots of strange things happening. It's the same problem that happens with that scratchy volume contron on your radio. People often don't know that you can get a bottle of contact cleaner for fairly cheap at electronics parts stores. The stuff will last for decades. Just a small sprat on the connectors, play with them and the problem is often solved... in a matter of minutes.
Just make sure you don't spray it on the glass or inside the scanner :)
Francois

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 04:59:40 PM »
I am wondering if you live in a place where the climate is damp?

Well, England – so that's a big fat yes!  :D

Seriously though, that's a very interesting point, because we do have a bit of a problem with condensation in our spare room – where the scanner lives. I'm going to look out some of that magic stuff and see if it helps. Thank you very much.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 11:09:56 PM »
If the overall humidity is too high, it will also affect the insides of the scanner which isn't sealed against moisture.
I would first put an hygrometer in the room (humidity meter) and check out how damp it really is. Here in Canada, I have the opposite problem with a big 30% humidity level all winter long (with the bleeding noses that go with dryness :( ).
A very dusty room is often also a sign of dryness...

Warm air tends to absorb more humidity than cold air. So making this room a bit warmer might be the trick. Contact cleaner is useful only when there is oxidation on the contacts of the cables.
Francois